Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 AM
BlueThunder

Send a message via AIM to BlueNCream Send a message via Yahoo to BlueNCream Send a message via Skype™ to BlueNCream
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
CEL on again, can't get inspection done, shop says it might be a cat?

please help
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2009, 09:08 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNCream View Post
please help
Does the "shop" say it "could" be a catalytic converter simply from the "check engine" light being on? It could also mean something more serious but nothing that would prevent an inspection from passing. Or are you saying that they won't even LOOK at it with a check engine light illuminated on the dash? If that is the case, I think that there are some ways to "reset" it on your own. If you can drive it for a day or two before it re-occurs, then wait until your at the inspection location, reset it and then let them run the inspection. If it IS a cat issue, it should show up on their equipment and then you could take it to the stealer to replace/repair as needed.

Sorry - I don't know the process but I have seen it in these forums previously so I expect it is something you can find by using the search features both here as well as on the other similar BMW forums.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 AM
BlueThunder

Send a message via AIM to BlueNCream Send a message via Yahoo to BlueNCream Send a message via Skype™ to BlueNCream
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
yes he cleared it wit some thing he plugged in n told me to drive for 60 miles then i did and it came on again therefore he doesnt even wana run the inspection but the idea about me reseting it before it enters the "shop" is a good one thank you i think it is catalyst in that case i m gonna go to the "stealer" and fix it
Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
cat from the dealer will run upward of 5 grand

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 08-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I thought I read somewhere else that the emission system (which I think would include the cats) has a 8 year warranty.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaylentz View Post
I thought I read somewhere else that the emission system (which I think would include the cats) has a 8 year warranty.
+1, / 80K miles.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNCream View Post
yes he cleared it wit some thing he plugged in n told me to drive for 60 miles then i did and it came on again therefore he doesnt even wana run the inspection but the idea about me reseting it before it enters the "shop" is a good one thank you i think it is catalyst in that case i m gonna go to the "stealer" and fix it

so did you reset the codes/light right before the inspection?
if so, did it pass?
i heard that the car had to be driven X miles for the computer to actually clear itself of the errors or else it could still fail despite the light being gone, is that true anyone?

i'm having this issue at the moment.
got some vac leak issues addressed. got the codes and light reset.
got ready for emmissions test and light came back on with the same p2187 and p2189 codes that were just addressed. wondering if i can clear them prior to emmissions test and succeed in passing just to get the plates asap.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by My1st750li View Post
so did you reset the codes/light right before the inspection?
if so, did it pass?
i heard that the car had to be driven X miles for the computer to actually clear itself of the errors or else it could still fail despite the light being gone, is that true anyone?

i'm having this issue at the moment.
got some vac leak issues addressed. got the codes and light reset.
got ready for emmissions test and light came back on with the same p2187 and p2189 codes that were just addressed. wondering if i can clear them prior to emmissions test and succeed in passing just to get the plates asap.
in order to pass the emmisions all MONITORS have to be in COMPLETE stage....if you try erasing them prior test or disconnecting battery you will still not pass as MONITORS will show INCOMPLETE...
here is example of MONITORS after scanning my 7 2 weeks ago...takes around 300 miles for all monitors to run their cycle and go to complete stage...good luck bro

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
It may be different from state to state, my in my state (NH) all of the monitors have to be "Ready". When you reset the CEL with and OBD tool, it resets the fault codes and all the monitors too. I tried to do this at an inspection as well, and although the code was gone and hgad no CEL, I had to drive for over 2 days for all of the monitors to show "Ready" (and this was 400 miles) to pass inspection. You might want to invest in an OBD reader since to get this right you need to keep checking it over couple of days to know when all the monitors are ready
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
thanks for the help.
car is at the stealer further investigating the cause for the codes. theyre covering the parts and work since i just bought the vehicle from them 2 weeks ago and got the codes an hour after leaving them. if they actually fix the cause for the codes this time, i got 2 weeks left on my temp tag, hope i can get 400 miles in 2 weeks. thats alot of cruisin.