Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
Any rumors on iPhone 5 snap in adapter

Just wondering what the rumor mill might be saying. Sure would like to use that cradle in the center console!

Thanks! Vince.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM

I sent the same query to BMWUSA and here's their response:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding iPhone 5 compatibility with our vehicles.

We are continuing to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. Unfortunately, Apple did not distribute the iPhone 5 earlier to automobile manufacturers than to the general public, so we will address any issues of concern after our evaluation of the device. We anticipate app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one’s song library using the BMW controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps to replicate the look of the iPhone interface, will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed, and we appreciate your patience as we work through the process. We suggest staying in touch with the parts team at your authorized BMW center regarding an adapter.

Vince.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Can someone detail what features the snap-in would offer that make it worth the cost? I have an IPhone5, it's bluetooth connected, I can make calls. If I need to charge it I have the USB connector. I don't know what else I need.

It still strikes me as bizarre that BMW has a special tray in the console for a phone that not everyone will have - it's really annoying. I put coins in there once and they slid around and under and behind. It's really not a functional tray for anything small or loose, basically for anything other than a phone, as far as I am concerned, and I don't keep my phone there.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
The snap in adapters for the 4/4s and 3 are priced at $250.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Can someone detail what features the snap-in would offer that make it worth the cost? I have an IPhone5, it's bluetooth connected, I can make calls. If I need to charge it I have the USB connector. I don't know what else I need.

It still strikes me as bizarre that BMW has a special tray in the console for a phone that not everyone will have - it's really annoying. I put coins in there once and they slid around and under and behind. It's really not a functional tray for anything small or loose, basically for anything other than a phone, as far as I am concerned, and I don't keep my phone there.
You can go to the SHOPBMWUSA.com website, accessories, and find a whole bunch of stuff, but specifically for that adapter:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=3738

Vince.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Mullini

Thanks. I still don't get why people are paying $250 for this (assuming the IPhone 5 version will be that price). Just to keep it charged? There must be something I am missing. In the meanwhile, I have that annoying tray. If it were just a regular tray, I'd be fine. But it has "holes" or whatever you want to call it for the snap-in, I guess. It won't even hold a pen lengthwise. To me it really is the oddest thing. But i love my X1! And my Iphone 5. it just stays in my pocket...
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
The snap-in adapter connects the phone antenna to the shark fin for better reception. On the iPhones 3 - 4 the snap-in and BMW apps allow you to display video from the iPhone to the iDrive screen. The BMW apps option also gives you a more iPod like interface for music when using the snap-in.

I don't need any of that so I didn't purchase BMW Apps. The tray does annoy me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Mullini

Well now at least I understand a little better the market for the snap-in. Thanks! My reception seems to be fine as is, I am happy with the Ipod interface, and dear lord I wish I didn't know there're people out there watching video on their IDrive screen...sheesh....
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Well now at least I understand a little better the market for the snap-in. Thanks! My reception seems to be fine as is, I am happy with the Ipod interface, and dear lord I wish I didn't know there're people out there watching video on their IDrive screen...sheesh....
Yes, there are enough people out there lap surfing as it is. Don't need more distracted drivers. Maybe that's why BMW made their iPhone integration so crappy, they wanted to discourage people from using their phones in the car.