Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
Bmw 2003 760li high pressur fuel pump!

Bought a pristine black/black 2003 760 with 20,000 miles on it. I drove it home from Cali to Vegas and after getting on it the check engine light went on saying "service engine soon". I immediately pulled over and checked the car. Discoverd red service items for plugs, cabin air filter and coolant flush. drove it home and it sputtered at times. Took it to my mechanic who tells me the high pressure mechanical fuel pump is bad. After researching this board it appears to be a common problem with this car. I had the smartz to purchase a fidelity warranty. My mechanic wants 5 hours to install the pump AND $3200 FOR THE PUMP! The dealer wants $2800 for the pump. Anyone have this covered by a Fidelity extended warranty plan?

comments please!

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	277167   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	277168   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	277169   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	277170  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
MOPAULY's Avatar
MOPAULY MOPAULY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Spring Mount, PA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,635
Mein Auto: Many things
sorry man, one reason I will NOT BUY A 12 cylinder car as a daily driver, been turning wrenches long enough to know not a good idea.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
sorry man, one reason I will NOT BUY A 12 cylinder car as a daily driver, been turning wrenches long enough to know not a good idea.
she is not a daily driver but thanks.

What a drag. Bought an 850i new and no problems with her for 94,00 miles except routine maintenance, radiator, and ASC valve $$$$, and two sets of batteries.

The fuel pump is covered by my Platinum Fidelity warranty THANK GOD. This needs to be recall for sure!

CHEERS

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
quarterto8's Avatar
quarterto8 quarterto8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston,Tx
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,965
Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: BMW 745
Congrats on the new buy. Good thing the fuel pump issue was resolved without ruining your experience. How much did you pay if you dont mind sharing? Post some more pictures

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterto8 View Post
Congrats on the new buy. Good thing the fuel pump issue was resolved without ruining your experience. How much did you pay if you dont mind sharing? Post some more pictures

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
thanks

Paid 35K. There is not a mark on the car. I collect cars this one is a creampuff. I paid high retail but well worth it after searching for nearly a year. All options + sport package.not a mark on the wheels, new tires, low miles. Just needs a fricken fuel pump!

check it out here. I am PVHazell the high bidder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...WNX%3AIT#v4-36




Cheers

Last edited by 8504HER; 05-03-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 PM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
cracked wheel now

mechanic just called to inform me of a cracked right front wheel now.

anyone have a source for a factory wheel?

Thanks

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	277179  
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 PM
quarterto8's Avatar
quarterto8 quarterto8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston,Tx
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,965
Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: BMW 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8504HER View Post
thanks

Paid 35K. There is not a mark on the car. I collect cars this one is a creampuff. I paid high retail but well worth it after searching for nearly a year. All options + sport package.not a mark on the wheels, new tires, low miles. Just needs a fricken fuel pump!

check it out here. I am PVHazell the high bidder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...WNX%3AIT#v4-36




Cheers
The car is definately in excellent condition. What else is in your.collection?



Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterto8 View Post
The car is definately in excellent condition. What else is in your.collection?



Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
1987 M6

1991 850i

1975 3.0 CSI

1975 2002 TII

and some Italian

Ferrari 308 Norwood Turbo featured in April of 2006 Forza

FerrarI 355

Ferrari 512TR

and some other junk that i wont bore you with.

Cheers

Whats in your stable?

Last edited by 8504HER; 05-03-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Seven11's Avatar
Seven11 Seven11 is offline
President
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: BMW
nice collection, so many cars

how about some pictures of them!

and the seats on the 760 are looking quite new!
__________________

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 AM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,273
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8504HER View Post
Bought a pristine black/black 2003 760 with 20,000 miles on it. I drove it home from Cali to Vegas and after getting on it the check engine light went on saying "service engine soon". I immediately pulled over and checked the car. Discoverd red service items for plugs, cabin air filter and coolant flush. drove it home and it sputtered at times. Took it to my mechanic who tells me the high pressure mechanical fuel pump is bad. After researching this board it appears to be a common problem with this car. I had the smartz to purchase a fidelity warranty. My mechanic wants 5 hours to install the pump AND $3200 FOR THE PUMP! The dealer wants $2800 for the pump. Anyone have this covered by a Fidelity extended warranty plan?

comments please!

Thank you
The car looks good! Welcome to the 760 Club!

I believe the fidelity warranty has a 30 day period where you can't claim anything so read your contract and watch out for it!

If fidelity covers it, get it done at a dealership and not an indy. The reason it's 5 hours is disassembling the whole power rear seats and putting them back in properly TWICE!

Also before you go replacing the fuel pump, try buying some higher octane fuel, like 93-98 octane, and add redline SI-1 fuel cleaner into it. It may solve your problem by cleaning off any gummed up gas/ethanol that may be causing issues inside the lines, injectors and pump and as well help clean off any carbon build up and other junk in the whole fuel system and combustion chambers. It's about 20 dollars and either way it's going to benefit the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8504HER View Post
mechanic just called to inform me of a cracked right front wheel now.

anyone have a source for a factory wheel?

Thanks

Paul
www.wheelsandcaps.com sells "replica" wheels for our cars that are better quality than what BMW puts on their cars! I suggest you look at the Style 128 Wheels from BMW (wheels and caps has those too for the same price as the Style 89 on the car)

One member bent ALL of his factory Style 128 wheels and only bent 1 replica wheel on the same roads!

Last edited by csmeance; 05-04-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 AM
8504HER 8504HER is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: junk
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
The car looks good! Welcome to the 760 Club!

I believe the fidelity warranty has a 30 day period where you can't claim anything so read your contract and watch out for it!

If fidelity covers it, get it done at a dealership and not an indy. The reason it's 5 hours is disassembling the whole power rear seats and putting them back in properly TWICE!

Also before you go replacing the fuel pump, try buying some higher octane fuel, like 93-98 octane, and add redline SI-1 fuel cleaner into it. It may solve your problem by cleaning off any gummed up gas/ethanol that may be causing issues inside the lines, injectors and pump and as well help clean off any carbon build up and other junk in the whole fuel system and combustion chambers. It's about 20 dollars and either way it's going to benefit the car.



www.wheelsandcaps.com sells "replica" wheels for our cars that are better quality than what BMW puts on their cars! I suggest you look at the Style 128 Wheels from BMW (wheels and caps has those too for the same price as the Style 89 on the car)

One member bent ALL of his factory Style 128 wheels and only bent 1 replica wheel on the same roads!
good into thanks. The dealer never said a grace period before claims. Fidelity said they are sending out an adjuster. This pump is the high pressure mechanical pump on the engine that runs off the cam on the respective bank. dont think you need to pull the rear seats? He tells me he has to pull the intake.

Thanks for the wheel link.

Thanks for the reply.

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,273
Mein Auto: 760Li
I had the 30 day period with my contract but the car was under factory anyway so it didn't matter...

My mistake on the fuel pump, I had quickly read fuel pump and figured it was the fuel senders thats inside the tank
__________________
2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White w/ Creme-Beige
2004 Acura TL - Satin Silver/Quartz
2007 Acura MDX - Nimbus Grey/Taupe
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
TannerSV's Avatar
TannerSV TannerSV is offline
Typical American
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,599
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
sorry man, one reason I will NOT BUY A 12 cylinder car as a daily driver, been turning wrenches long enough to know not a good idea.
Mine is a daily driver.....every day I drive it back from the shop I end up driving it right back the next day to get a new problem fixed... That counts as a daily driver right?
__________________
06/760Li
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM
TannerSV's Avatar
TannerSV TannerSV is offline
Typical American
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,599
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8504HER View Post
mechanic just called to inform me of a cracked right front wheel now.

anyone have a source for a factory wheel?

Thanks

Paul
That'll buff out

We have another new guy on here trying to sell wheels.....hit him up!
__________________
06/760Li
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
quarterto8's Avatar
quarterto8 quarterto8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston,Tx
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,965
Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: BMW 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8504HER View Post
1987 M6

1991 850i

1975 3.0 CSI

1975 2002 TII

and some Italian

Ferrari 308 Norwood Turbo featured in April of 2006 Forza

FerrarI 355

Ferrari 512TR

and some other junk that i wont bore you with.

Cheers

Whats in your stable?
nothing near close to what you have..

2004 bmw 745i and a 2008 cadillac escalade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 AM
georges doumith georges doumith is offline
Registered User
Location: lebanon
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 760li
So the fuel pump isn't. The problem I bought one. And the hight. Presur. Still in bank one do u think that the pipe need a higher octan. Fuel that may help?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Blackbox760 Blackbox760 is offline
Registered User
Location: ...
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 94
Mein Auto: 2003 E66 760Li
What is the question?
There are various fuel pipes around this high pressure pumps and I will check all connections for leaks first before I buy and replace a pump. On the fuel rails itself are pressure regulators and this might be a problem as well
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
rsbolin@me.com rsbolin@me.com is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenville, SC
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2004 760i
I just had both HPFPs replaced on my 2004 760i along with the fuel pump with regulator at the tank and both fuel filters up front. The HPFPs are about $2,500 each. My indy advised having BMW dealer do the service which, of course, put a premium on the labor. BMW tested, I do not know how they tested so please do not ask, the HPFP on bank one and determined it was bad. Advised replacing both at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Seven11's Avatar
Seven11 Seven11 is offline
President
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbolin@me.com View Post
I just had both HPFPs replaced on my 2004 760i along with the fuel pump with regulator at the tank and both fuel filters up front. The HPFPs are about $2,500 each. My indy advised having BMW dealer do the service which, of course, put a premium on the labor. BMW tested, I do not know how they tested so please do not ask, the HPFP on bank one and determined it was bad. Advised replacing both at the same time.
how much did that run you total?
__________________

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
mws mws is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Martin, california
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 539
Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
well, one way to test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbolin@me.com View Post
I just had both HPFPs replaced on my 2004 760i along with the fuel pump with regulator at the tank and both fuel filters up front. The HPFPs are about $2,500 each. My indy advised having BMW dealer do the service which, of course, put a premium on the labor. BMW tested, I do not know how they tested so please do not ask, the HPFP on bank one and determined it was bad. Advised replacing both at the same time.

pull off the rubber hose attached to each one and look for gas rolling out. That rubber hose is not supposed to have gas in it. Its for venting. If it's on both sides, both are probably bad. If only one side, then that side for sure is bad. But--the vent system is joined together and the pumps are at the low spot in the tubing. Gas from one "could" go around the motor and spill into the other side.

ask me how I know? at 135K both of mine are so bad, the engine pours gas out the tailpipe when I start it. For weeks it was just giving me some occasional rough idle and bumps while driving. I just kept driving it until one day, I almost did not make it home. It's waiting for me to repair it.

as for reliabilty? I bought the car with 100K. It's gone 35K with no issues except some old, dried up weeping coolant hoses, which is normal for that age and miles....and has needed a major tune-up all the time I've owned it--which I have ignored. I have no complaints about my daily driver experience with it.

I have a novel approach to the repair. I'll let the forum know how it goes in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
heavenlyride heavenlyride is offline
Registered User
Location: tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: e66 & e38 and e39
How did the repair go.

Update?
__________________
E.

760LI main
740il and 540I sport are backup toys!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM
mws mws is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Martin, california
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 539
Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
I started a new thread, since I had issues I was asking the forum for help with. See the bottom posts on this thread for update.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...384&highlight=
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms