Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Amigos I have the ONLY invisihitch in Puerto Rico for a 335d and the product is SUPERB. As we installed in Puerto Rico my mechanic was appaled by the construction of it and turned to me to state "what are you going to tow with this, a truck? The ONLY downsides I got were the install instruction they were NOT at par since it was a 328 intructions and not 335d instructions. Sorry Darryl had to put outhere on this Im still upset on this!! Anyway the other thing was the OEM metal bumper had to be removed completely so that the Invisihitch could go in place my friend told whomever rear ends is going to be FA:LKED this thing is WAYY better than the OEM. The price I found a tad expensive but the quality and crraftsmanship picks up where the price left out. Great thing is I leave the Hitch on so that ahole dont hit my Bumper Besides these minor issues I am very happy with the product. Any questions you can reach me thru PM, Darryl knows that I dont BS NOONE and I come across anyone straightforward.Hope you enjoy cause dan it I wanted an X1 in DIESEL and BMW FALKED up on me
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpocngold View Post
Daryl
Looks great but BMW has not released tongue weight and towing cap for the X1 Earlier post you stated 250/2500 Wish they would just give us the figures so we can make a decision
Well, yes and no... First you have to understand that whenever BMW issues a tow rating for one of their vehicles, they do so based on using a specific BMW Original Equipment hitch on the vehicle. They never simply "tow rate" the vehicle itself, independent of the hitch used.

So, you are correct that BMWNA has not released a tow rating for the X1. But this is only because BMWNA made the decision to market the X1 in North America without an OE hitch option. So unless they change their mind about that, BMWNA will probably never release an official tow rating for this vehicle. (Because, again, they don't tow rate the vehicle independent of the hitch used).

However, if you want to know what BMW says about how much you can safely tow with the X1, you can find that info internationally because in most other parts of the world, BMW does offer an Original Equipment hitch for the X1. And in some of those areas, the BMW OE hitch is my company's invisihitch. In those areas, BMW specifies the maximum trailer weight for the X1 as a whopping 3,740 lbs to 4,400 lbs depending on the engine and whether equipped with xDrive. [ See pp 70-71 of the X1 international brochure downloadable at www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/x/x1/2012/_shared/pdf/x1_catalogue.pdf?download=true ].

Those are some impressive tow ratings by BMW for the X1. But keep in mind that those ratings are based on using a hitch that does not have any forward/aft play, which is very unusual in the U.S. hitch market. Most U.S. hitches use a sliding square pipe inside another square pipe, with a cross pin. That results in significant forward/aft play.

As a practical matter, your trailer load is going to be limited by the relatively low tongue-weight capability of the X1 chassis itself. But if you keep your tongue weight down to about 200 lbs, you can tow a significant load with the X1 per BMW's own international tow ratings for the vehicle. Of course you would need a hitch that was designed for such loads...

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
'Fest Sponsor

invisihitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrink1 View Post
What does it cost and how much to install?
pbrink1,

Over in the X5 forum, we have been discussing a discounted Group Buy for bimmerfest forum members. I was hoping to announce something today, but it looks like it will be Monday. What I can tell you now is that the discounted Group Buy will include the X1 as well as the X5 when the announcement is made.

Rather than repeat here the reasons for the Group Buy and the delay in announcing it, here is a link to the discussion on the X5 forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666918

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
'Fest Sponsor

invisihitch Group Buy

For those who may be interested, we finally received dealer approval to offer a Group Buy on the invisihitch. The details are posted in the site sponsor section. Here is a link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675950

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpocngold View Post
Any luck with the tow hitch
Wimped out and let Uhaul install. For $60 it was a no-brainer. They did a nice job. The installer said it was one of the more pain-in-the-ass installs he has done due to the lack of clearance to the bolts/nuts. Well worth the money considering the day I chose to do the install was rainy and cold. Also purchased wiring harness for $34.95 and install for that was also $60.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedMissi View Post
Wimped out and let Uhaul install. For $60 it was a no-brainer. They did a nice job. The installer said it was one of the more pain-in-the-ass installs he has done due to the lack of clearance to the bolts/nuts. Well worth the money considering the day I chose to do the install was rainy and cold. Also purchased wiring harness for $34.95 and install for that was also $60.
Can you take pictures and post when you have a moment? Very curious to see how the hitch looks.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
'Fest Sponsor

For those still interested, the deadline for the invisihitch Group Buy just got extended through the end of this week. That will close out the discount opportunity for this year.

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedMissi View Post
Middleage
Did you finally tow with the hitch. How did it work out. Looking to tow 1500 with a 150 tongue weight. Any problems with the wiring harness and X1 computer? If you could take a picture it would help
Tks
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x1 xD28
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
For those who may be interested, we finally received dealer approval to offer a Group Buy on the invisihitch. The details are posted in the site sponsor section. Here is a link:

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Daryl, I was interested in one of these hitches (bike only version) for my X1.

Do you have any recommendations on installers for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? What does a typical install cost?

Also, do you offer any discounts to Bimmerfest members (I know group buy is over)?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Also interested in the bike trailer hitch for an X1 in Lancaster, PA. Any dealers you know of that I could use in this area?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyX1 View Post
Daryl, I was interested in one of these hitches (bike only version) for my X1.

Do you have any recommendations on installers for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? What does a typical install cost?

Also, do you offer any discounts to Bimmerfest members (I know group buy is over)?

Thanks!
I'm sorry I haven't been on the forums in a while. Just seeing this now...

The bimmerfest group buy was the one window of opportunity, negotiated with our dealers, where we were allowed to discount below MSRP.

A typical installation is about a 2.5 hour job. Labor rates vary by the local market and are set by each installer. I sent you a PM with the contact info for an installer in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgriff View Post
Also interested in the bike trailer hitch for an X1 in Lancaster, PA. Any dealers you know of that I could use in this area?
The closest installer we have to Lancaster is in the greater Philadelphia area. Sent you a PM with contact info.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Dealer and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatT View Post
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation. I had an x3 with a BMW hitch and I have to say I like the execuhitch better. Both of the pictures are after the hitch was installed, one showing how invisible it is and the others showing it with the ball attachment. I also got the receiver attachment for a bike rack. The car is a X1 M sport line. The guys at execuhitch (invisihitch) were great to do business with.
Hi PatT,
I also live in New England and recently purchased an X1 from Tulley. Can I ask, is this where you had the hitch installed? Did they order the hitch for you, or did you order it and have it installed? I ask because I called the dealer today (Tulley) and they said they do not have a hitch nor will they install one?? Thanks for sharing
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: x1 sDrive28i
Aftermarket towing hitch

Just ordered Curt 13140. Online prices have dropped and AutoEverything matched the price.
Anyone have a suggestion for a wiring harness and/or part number?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 AM
'Fest Sponsor

I generally refrain from commenting by name on another hitch manufacturer's products, but before your order is shipped please check to make sure your X1 has the panoramic sunroof option. Curt's hitch for the X1 only fits X1s with a panoramic sunroof (see Curt's installation instructions for verification of this).

It may seem odd that a hitch depends on a panoramic sunroof, but BMW adds an extra A-frame stiffener underneath the vehicle on panoramic-sunroof models to help compensate for the amount of material removed from the top of the unibody. The Curt hitch for the X1 depends on connecting to this added A-frame member underneath the vehicle.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: x1 sDrive28i
Thank you for the heads up and yes it does have this option. The "search your vehicle" function on the sites I visited have this requirement programmed in.
Since the last post I found 2 or 3 kits available from etrailer.com.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2014
Thumbs down Poor customer service from obviously faulty product

My product and customer service experience with ExecuHitch is MUCH different from others here. The wiring adapter (they call it a CPU for some reason) that handles the lighting for the trailer simply did not work. Rather than first suggest they swap it out, they insisted repeatedly that I had just not wired it up correctly. Try this. Try that. Check this continuity. Check that for a short. Are you sure it is this wire and not that wire? Then Silence. I'm forced to buy another product since this one will not work and no one at Execuhitch will assist me.

A quibble on the hitch design. Although the hitch appears well made, you might want to carry around a welders glove (right hand) so you can get the ball carrier out of the receiver without sustaining a serious burn from the exhaust system. This design on this car results in a VERY tight clearance between the release device and the exhaust system. To release the ball carrier, you have to lay on your back beneath the car, reach your hand into this clearance to insert the key (which points directly at the exhaust), turn the key, then after the release button pops out (further reducing the clearance) remove the key. (customer service response to this when I enquired if this was how it was supposed to be was to be careful).

Last edited by smplee; 08-08-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
'Fest Sponsor

^ smplee - This should not have happened. I apologize, and I hope you will let me set this right for you. If you will PM me your contact information, I will have a new wiring controller shipped to you immediately. Just having a replacement controller in hand can help diagnose wiring issues, whether the controller turns out to be the problem or not. For precisely this reason, I generally send a new controller to customers who are having wiring problems. Honestly, I cannot recall an instance where the problem turned out to be the controller, and everyone kindly sends back the new controller. But if I were trying to diagnose a wiring issue I would appreciate having a spare controller in hand also, so I could at least eliminate it as a cause. I definitely get what you're saying. Please allow me to help you.

As for the hitch design, I agree it's a quibble. It's a reasonable quibble, but the limited space for hands under the X1 is not likely to change. There are tradeoffs that must be made in any product design. In our case, we put safety and style first, and we trade off tight hand space when we are absolutely forced to. By safety, I mean we will never design a hitch that attaches to a frame member forward of the bumper. Doing so bypasses the crumple zones. So in the event of a rear-end collision, crash energy gets transferred right into the cabin. We won't design those types of hitches. And by style, I mean we abhor cutting bumpers and leaving a permanent visible reminder that there is a hitch on the vehicle. Those two design criteria define who we are as a hitch company. Everything else is secondary... although we do try to make the hand space large enough for easy operation. On a smaller vehicle like the X1, once you design a hitch that respects the crumple zones and is completely hidden behind the bumper, you end up with a smaller hand space than we would prefer. I'm not saying I like that, but I accept it as a result of designing for safety and style first.

Again, please PM or email me your info and let me help you with the wiring concerns.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2014
Update to wiring issue

@ daryl
After your staff finally sent me a replacement controller, I plugged it in and it worked fine. You earn one attaboy for sending me a replacement for the bad controller. But you get an aw5hit for the amount of time I had to spend diagnosing this thing with your staff (nearly two months of back and forth and several hours of actual diagnostic activity).

obtw, as a mechanical engineer, I understand your discussion about design trade-offs and respect the design decisions that were made. I probably would have gotten the electrical locking version (if available for the X1) if I'd known of this issue. Perhaps you should make it clearer in the documentation.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 318i
I was wondering if anyone has evaluated the 2014 Xi for hitch capability yet. I have seen several hitches that will fit a 2013, but no one makes the statement that they fit a 2014.

Last edited by Curttp; 08-21-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 28i MSport
I have installed a hitch from Curt, model 13140, on my 2014 28i x-line M-sport. However, you must have the panoramic sunroof, there is a extra cross member underneath it attaches to. You need to be careful with the bumper covers while installing, easy to snap the tabs. Was some what off a task to install! It has a two inch hitch and might look border-line too large for some people. I'm happy with it, I just need to find a BMW or an after market hitch cover I like.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
'Fest Sponsor

smplee- Yeah we should have definitely handled that better. I'm glad you received the replacement controller and everything is working for you now, but I hang my head over the lack of urgency you received from us in resolving the problem. I will address it internally.

Curttp- The X1 invisihitch is confirmed to fit the 2014 model, and we do not connect to the A-frame member so the crumple zones of the vehicle still do their job exactly as intended in the event of a rear-end collision.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x1 28i
Thanks for the update. I just did the curt 13140 on a 2014 model and it installed perfectly. Picked up the rivet gun $25 (here in saskatchewan) ahead of time, and other than that and a little care removing the bumper, it was a pretty leisurely 1 hour job (I skipped the regular 1 beer per page of instructions).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xdrive 28i MSport
Nice, glad to hear your CURT install went smooth. I'm quite pleased with my results so far. Can I just say I love the X1. It is exactly the car I needed, without sacrificing some of the "wants" and "must haves".
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
I Just installed a Reese Hitch on my X1. The wiring harness has stumped me. I dont want to splice and I cant find a t-connector nor wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

Last edited by fishnmahi; 11-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Wiring Harness for Tow Hitch

I Just installed a Reese Hitch on my X1. The wiring harness has stumped me. I dont want to splice and I cant find a t-connector nor wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

Last edited by fishnmahi; 11-20-2013 at 07:16 PM.