Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
It wont matter to me either way. I think my insurance is going to total my car by the way the adjuster was talking to me about the car... and if they dont Im going to sell it because i definitely dont want one of these after an accident going 60mph and spinning. Nemo got me
Good for you!!
If I were you I would get 08 e65 and get all maintenance done with new tstat and enjoy
Spinning bc of your error or icy road?

Last edited by SFbay; 02-15-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Icy road and a jeep wrangler tapping my rear because he sped up and then braked and slid.
If i ever did get another bmw id probably get a 6 cylinder version. This whole experience (1 year 2 month ownership) has made me view bmws in a much different perspective.
Bmws are like a hot girl who is stupid with a horrible personality. In my case i slept with her for a short period of time and had enough of her **** and its not worth the beauty so i want to move on... But damn she looks and performs well

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 02-16-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745iguy View Post
Icy road and a jeep wrangler tapping my rear because he sped up and then braked and slid.
If i ever did get another bmw id probably get a 6 cylinder version. This whole experience (1 year 2 month ownership) has made me view bmws in a much different perspective.
Bmws are like a hot girl who is stupid with a horrible personality. In my case i slept with her for a short period of time and had enough of her **** and its not worth the beauty so i want to move on... But damn she looks and performs well
Well it's true, inline 6 really rocks and if you do simple maintenance they last forever.
I recommend e60 with 3.0 M54 but stay away from GDI models, they have tons if issues bc of intake valves are not being cleaned like in conventional engines.
But if N62 V8 is in good shape it runs soooo good!!!! It's flawless
Not compared to I6 even close, only N55 bi turbo is close to that torque.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Well it's true, inline 6 really rocks and if you do simple maintenance they last forever.
I recommend e60 with 3.0 M54 but stay away from GDI models, they have tons if issues bc of intake valves are not being cleaned like in conventional engines.
But if N62 V8 is in good shape it runs soooo good!!!! It's flawless
Not compared to I6 even close, only N55 bi turbo is close to that torque.
Yeah my E46 was great.. and super popular.. these 7 series just goes to show you, BMW thinks: rich people = stupid idiots, who don't know anything about cars and will pay to fix anything. how else do you explain all these just plain stupid but "well placed" issues.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Yeah my E46 was great.. and super popular.. these 7 series just goes to show you, BMW thinks: rich people = stupid idiots, who don't know anything about cars and will pay to fix anything. how else do you explain all these just plain stupid but "well placed" issues.
Yep, all true, but "stupid idiots" could afford brand new 7, drove it 5-7yr and sold it to you
Old 02-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yep, all true, but "stupid idiots" could afford brand new 7, drove it 5-7yr and sold it to you
Well yes and no.. I can do the same thing.. I make good money, I work hard for it, so I don't feel like spending 100k on something that just free falls on the resale market.. thats why I chose to buy mine for 10.5k, under ten years old, in showroom condition, no dents, interior has no scratches, rips etc, and it's paid for.. just frustrating coming from the same car in a Mercedes that didn't have a quarter of the issues, and was also flagged as "problematic".
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

I see people on the a8 forums saying their car is expensive and problematic because once in awhile they have to replace an air suspension component after 60k, and that their oil changes are too hard and they have to change a timing belt and water pump every 80k or so. If they only knew the true horror of owning a problem vehicle lol. And I haven't even had to deal with a coolant pipe or tranny issue. Just about every other issue though.

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i

Last edited by 745iguy; 02-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I think part of BMWs problem is their a small company in comparison to Audi,Merc,and Lexus is part of the biggest.Audi has VW as parent ,lots of R&D.Merc builds engines for everything ,type of vehicle on the road.Well we all know about Toyota the Giant.Take into account how few V8s and lesser V12s BMW builds and its almost an exotic car in comparison.I work for Toyota Manufacturing and see the ability to just throw away thousands of mistake engine blocks if needed.We build more V6s in a week than BMW builds V8s in a year.Well maybe not that much but you get the idea.Ive owned 10 BMWs and they've all had stupid cooling problems.V8s all leaked oil.I remember my grandfather cussing his 1978 5 series having to put 3 rear ends in it.He said why not just put a Ford 9inch in it.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Account Under Review

Here is some good info:
Don't ever buy URO parts pipe!!!
One of my friends installed and it busted today!!!!!!!
Bimerpipe or aga or OEM!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I think part of BMWs problem is their a small company in comparison to Audi,Merc,and Lexus is part of the biggest.Audi has VW as parent ,lots of R&D.Merc builds engines for everything ,type of vehicle on the road.Well we all know about Toyota the Giant.Take into account how few V8s and lesser V12s BMW builds and its almost an exotic car in comparison.I work for Toyota Manufacturing and see the ability to just throw away thousands of mistake engine blocks if needed.We build more V6s in a week than BMW builds V8s in a year.Well maybe not that much but you get the idea.Ive owned 10 BMWs and they've all had stupid cooling problems.V8s all leaked oil.I remember my grandfather cussing his 1978 5 series having to put 3 rear ends in it.He said why not just put a Ford 9inch in it.
+100
Agree on every word. Too bad toyota can't build anything close;(
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Here is some good info:
Don't ever buy URO parts pipe!!!
One of my friends installed and it busted today!!!!!!!
Bimerpipe or aga or OEM!!!!
Ouch ddnt you just install URO too?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Ouch ddnt you just install URO too?
I did and it lasted 2-3 months!
I think aga or bmpipe have that design where it pushes hard to from and rear covers and this is what makes a difference, though I'm not sure if its a good idea to push lower timing cover, but I guess this is the best option. URO pipe design doesn't include that option: you just expand it and its kinda loose still and it's not pushing much towards front and rear covers.... That's why oem pipe has front seal glued to the pipe and it lasts 5-7 yrs easy.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM

SFbay when you had your engine out did welding pipe in place become an option?I think the n62tu is welded?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
SFbay when you had your engine out did welding pipe in place become an option?I think the n62tu is welded?
Yeah I was thinking about it, but it's not easy from the bottom part, plus you still need some type of oring between wp hole and coolant pipe. This is what "smart" Germans realized with N63. N62tu has the same ****ty design.
I'm not getting it how they spent tons of money on super precisely made cylinder blocks especially piston rings, crankshafts, camshafts and cyl walls, which last 300-400k and some simple things like cooling system which can't last more than 50-70k!!!
They could easily made cyl block very cheap like Toyota ones, bc what's the point of the engine which fail cooling system so early???

Last edited by SFbay; 02-19-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I did and it lasted 2-3 months!
I think aga or bmpipe have that design where it pushes hard to from and rear covers and this is what makes a difference, though I'm not sure if its a good idea to push lower timing cover, but I guess this is the best option. URO pipe design doesn't include that option: you just expand it and its kinda loose still and it's not pushing much towards front and rear covers.... That's why oem pipe has front seal glued to the pipe and it lasts 5-7 yrs easy.
Wait I don't understand, you said you did the URO pipe a week or two ago, it's already busted?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Wait I don't understand, you said you did the URO pipe a week or two ago, it's already busted?
Yep!!! Now it explains that 100% THERE IS INTERNAL LEAK even if no wheep hole. Lower hose is cold again fk. Same thing happened with my black 745i that's why I sold bc I thought smth else was bad!!
Honestly I think it's pretty much the same price to replace with OEM pipe.
All you need is to remove lower timing cover and radiators. Compared to aga or anything. I still OEM design is better. Idk why they say you need to remove heads for that????
All you need is:
Remove intake
Vp
Lower timing cover (btch)
Front radiators
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Yep!!! Now it explains that 100% THERE IS INTERNAL LEAK even if no wheep hole. Lower hose is cold again fk. Same thing happened with my black 745i that's why I sold bc I thought smth else was bad!!
Honestly I think it's pretty much the same price to replace with OEM pipe.
All you need is to remove lower timing cover and radiators. Compared to aga or anything. I still OEM design is better. Idk why they say you need to remove heads for that????
All you need is:
Remove intake
Vp
Lower timing cover (btch)
Front radiators
I think the AGA pipe will be fine, it's made with great materials, heavy duty, and it has viton seals not rubber.. I wondered the same thing, seems like the factory one shouldnt be as hard as they say to install, but personally I would rather have AGA then OEM because of the viton seals alone.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
I think the AGA pipe will be fine, it's made with great materials, heavy duty, and it has viton seals not rubber.. I wondered the same thing, seems like the factory one shouldnt be as hard as they say to install, but personally I would rather have AGA then OEM because of the viton seals alone.
Lets buy it together so well get some discount?
Anyone else??
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbay View Post
ok, so what do you guys think:
95c or 90c tstat????

I got original invoice already!!! Everything looks good!!
2 months left i nope

so i guess there is 1 month left ???
What happen to the 41 day's you said last time ???

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

He posted in 40 days on the 2nd tis only 20 days From that, 20 days left?
Even if my car gets totaled I'm curious to see the outcome here too.

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
so i guess there is 1 month left ???
What happen to the 41 day's you said last time ???
I payed on jan 22
So..... Still waiting
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 AM

I'm like a kid a Christmas SFBay!!^^^
Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
My car is still running cool:-))) the hottest it hits is 103 stuck in NY traffic then drops to 93-96.... But still I would like to have a stact for peace of mind ;-()
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
My car is still running cool:-))) the hottest it hits is 103 stuck in NY traffic then drops to 93-96.... But still I would like to have a stact for peace of mind ;-()
Did you do coolant pipe, right? This is indication that there is no leaks.
With 95c you'll get 93 the hottest
Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
Quote:
Did you do coolant pipe, right? This is indication that there is no leaks.
With 95c you'll get 93 the hottest
Yea I did everything but the rear gasket.
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .