Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i Sport
2007 BMW 750i - Didn't start....then finally did.

OK - how common is this?

My car has been running great? Starts, stops, short and long trips...no issues at all. I park the car tonight, walk in to a restaurant to meet a friend for a beer, then come out about 20minutes later. It won't start. The dashboard lights up full....like there is no issue. Just won't even make a click when I go to start. So I wait about 15 minutes, maybe 20. Turn her on, hit the button and she starts up. But then I get the following two errors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I drive about 10 miles and turn her off. Let it sit for about 90 minutes, go out and it starts right up with no errors at all.

Anyone seen this before? I've heard it's somewhat "common" but can't seem to track down why this would happen. Any inputs is appreciated.

Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750I
I would think its your integrated power supply module.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
It might be your battery

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Sounds like what happened to me, but without the transmission error. Mine was fixed by replacing the integrated power module.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Where is this module located? Is it easy to swap out?

I don't have any diagnostic software/hardware. Do I need that if I perform this swap myself?

Also - with respect to the battery....maybe I'll test it tomorrow morning and see how it's looking.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
The IVM / integrated supply module / integrated power supply module / whatever is in the E-box. Remove the microfilter on the passenger side (flat-head screwdriver), remove the microfilter mount closest to the outer edge of the car (10mm or 13mm socket), remove the e-box cover (allen-head screws), remove a bunch of electrical plugs, remove IVM module. Sounds more complicated than it is...you'll see.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM

OK, so this AM, I checked the voltage of the battery before starting. It has been VERY cold up here in Boston. My voltage was 11.8 prior to start. Then I started it up, went through the menu and checked the voltage while running on the dash - and it fluctuated between 15.3-15.7V.

What are these batteries supposed to be at prior to starting? Anyone know???
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGuy74 View Post
OK, so this AM, I checked the voltage of the battery before starting. It has been VERY cold up here in Boston. My voltage was 11.8 prior to start. Then I started it up, went through the menu and checked the voltage while running on the dash - and it fluctuated between 15.3-15.7V.

What are these batteries supposed to be at prior to starting? Anyone know???
The voltage you are getting is fine...what you need to really test the battery is a load test. With that being said I do not think its your battery. Change your integrated power supply module. You were provided instructions above and the part is under 120....cheaper than a battery. You can change this in 15 minutes...it's really not that hard.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM

The module will set you back $125 or so. I believe it needs to be coded to the car, so you will need someone with the diagnostic equipment to do that. The dealer charged me around $300 to replace mine, but I thought it was the started which would have cost $1,900. Since they already had the car, I was happy to pay it.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
I don't recall needing coding, but if you cant find one locally I have a brand new in the box one if you like.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM

I was just going to order one of www.getBMWparts.com -- they have good prices and low shipping...which takes a couple of days. The local stealerships are all at least an hour+ round trip. She's running perfect today - no issues....so no rush.

Thing is - I do have an extended warranty - but $100 deductible. If you guys are confident it's this, it's cheaper for me to buy the $100 part and do it myself, rather than scheduling an appointment, dropping off my car, bumming rides for a day or two, etc.

I don't have anything to clear codes, register, etc. If I had to get any one tool - what is the BEST one to have for our cars?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM

OK Part is ordered. Should have it in a couple days. I'll keep you posted.

Just curious - when I pull the old one out - is there any way of telling if the module is/was bad?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM

So the part showed up on Friday. Saturday my car played the "I don't want to start" game with me. Had to sit there outside my gym with two of my sweaty buddies stinking up my car for like 15 minutes before she started back up.

Woke up on Sunday morning and went straight to my garage and swapped out the module. So far, so good. I still have that initial anxiety that my car won't start at times....hopefully that will go away SOON! :-)

Now it's just a waiting game. I looked at the old module and it seemed fine - nothing was physically wrong with it (that I could see).

Also - for those of you who are going to attempt this. It's VERY easy. The hardest part was one of the hex screws that holds on the cover was a pain to get at so I had to use an allan wrench.... The whole job took me about 25 minutes and I was moving slow because it was cold.

Fingers crossed - this is the fix I needed. Thank you all for your input and help. Much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

I had a different car with relays that went bad. One was an ignition relay which allowed the car to turn over buy would never fire. The starter relay went out a few weeks later. That one prevented the car from cranking. The problem was intermittent at first; depending on the weather, sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't.

I think of the IVM module as a one big device that works like all those relays in my old car. You can't tell by looking at it that it's bad, but the symptoms point to it.

When i had the same problem In my 760, I really thought it was the starter. I had the dealer order one and took it in to be replaced ($1,500+ even at an indy), but they thought it was the IVM. Sure enough, I haven't had the problem every since, and that was two months ago now. I know you'll be anxious for a little while, but I bet it's fixed.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Just wanted to post an update. It's been nearly 3 weeks since replacing the Integrated Power Supply module, my failure to start issue and those random error codes is gone! Finally gaining more confidence (and losing anxiety) when I get in the car and she starts right up every time!

$100 fix that took 20-30min. So happy this forum exists!

Thanks again for your help and input guys(girls)!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Family, Music and cars..

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGuy74 View Post
Just wanted to post an update. It's been nearly 3 weeks since replacing the Integrated Power Supply module, my failure to start issue and those random error codes is gone! Finally gaining more confidence (and losing anxiety) when I get in the car and she starts right up every time!

$100 fix that took 20-30min. So happy this forum exists!

Thanks again for your help and input guys(girls)!

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App

Nothing major
07 750Li w/chrome 128's
00 S500
98 Tahoe
94 GS300