Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328iC
reengaged vert motors and reset. now what?

After figuring out my newly purchased 96 vert did NOT need a new motor (like I claimed to the used car guy who sold it cheap thinking it did. I reset both vert motors. Held the "up" switch, cut on my car, and the top reset. The lid popped up, my top came out the lid slammed shut and I locked my top. Now release the top, roll .down the windows. And hit "down" and I get nothing. Short of the button only working in one direction. What else could I be missing? - bummer bummer
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
This should help:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=639047

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Did you actually trick someone into thinking his motor was bad or did the guy advertise the car with a bad motor and you just did not correct him?

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykgarren View Post
After figuring out my newly purchased 96 vert did NOT need a new motor (like I claimed to the used car guy who sold it cheap thinking it did. I reset both vert motors. Held the "up" switch, cut on my car, and the top reset. The lid popped up, my top came out the lid slammed shut and I locked my top. Now release the top, roll .down the windows. And hit "down" and I get nothing. Short of the button only working in one direction. What else could I be missing? - bummer bummer
It's not synched. To perform the actual synch the top must be in the down position and you hold the switch in the "down" or "open" position. Go to the link Ken provided and download the file resettingconvertibletop.pdf and look at page 5. It will state this too. What has likely happened is you put the top up with it unsynched and the position circuits in the motor and the microswitches in the top mechanism are out of synch. When there is any mismatch of inputs the top freezes where it is to prevent any damage.
I would try a complete resynch (correctly) and then see what happens. To do this you will have to release the motors again and manually put the top down. Then reengage the motors and resynch. Then try closing and opening the top and see if it still freezes in the down position.
Also assuming that it's the semi auto top (there's a handle in the front to lock it down to the windshield) to get the top to go down you have to release the handle and push the front part of the top up past the tension point (12'-18") manually before the motors take over and do the rest of the lowering.....
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I did. (Guy on YouTube was full of sh@5). And yes I , I knew when he said the top woukdnt got down and the trunk wouldnt open that they were related. He dropped the price 100$ for it.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykgarren View Post
Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I did. (Guy on YouTube was full of sh@5). And yes I , I knew when he said the top woukdnt got down and the trunk wouldnt open that they were related. He dropped the price 100$ for it.
If you pushed the top button to the "close" position as you stated in your original post you didn't do the resynch. The top only resynchs when it's down and you hold the button in the "Open" position for 10 seconds after the ignition is turned on. The synch location is with the top fully opened, not fully closed because fully opened is the only end of the travel under control of the motor and the top controller.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM

So by resetting the motors, then holding the switch to the "down" position. Will sync my motors, correct. Then I can close and open with the toggle afterwards?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Correct. Just download the file and follow the directions.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Ok., I'm.getting frustrated. Reset motors. Lowered top manually,Pushed the trigger to the "lowering" position. And turned the key to the."O" ,held for 10 seconds them turned to the nonstarting but radio playing postion and hit "close" which it did. But "down" didn't lower the roof. Im obviously am not synced but the diagram I downloaded and followed to a "T" any other steps I'm missing or should I start looking for wiring shorts?