Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
I don't believe in the 15-6K intervals either and have been changing it around 8500 miles. Still wondering if the lack of a dipstick tube to become clogged will help prevent the problem somewhat.
Is it the dipstick tube becoming clogged the problem or is it the CCV which drain the oil back into the oil pan via the dipstick tube the problem? I see the yellow crude on my oil cap, but no yellow crude on my dipstick when I go to check the oil level. My Porsche 911 has the yellow crude on the oil cap and I never had any problem with it, but then I don't drive the Porsche in the winter.

BMW maintenance schedule is just a joke. They quote long mileage between oil changes because for the first 50,000 mile to the original owner, the maintenance is free. If BMW only have to change the oil 3 times versus 6 times, they cut their cost by 50%. Same with their life time transmission fluid. If they follow the transmission manufacturers (ZF or GM) recommendation for fluid change they will have to change the ATF 1 time within that 50,000 free maintenance period. By saying the ATF is life time they just cut their cost on the ATF maintenance by 100%. BMW is just hoping that the trans will crap out after the 50,000 miles warranty period and not before.

If you can get a decent extended warranty for these cars I would advise getting it.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: Saab 9-3, GS 430
Now I am really worried as I was planning to buy a 2004 X5 4.4 with about 135, 000 KMs on it. I live in cold Canada and really minus 20C could be normal in most winters. Is there any solution like replacing the oil separator always within a certain time period?
Or once the problem starts there is no hope at all?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
Now I am really worried as I was planning to buy a 2004 X5 4.4 with about 135, 000 KMs on it. I live in cold Canada and really minus 20C could be normal in most winters. Is there any solution like replacing the oil separator always within a certain time period?
Or once the problem starts there is no hope at all?
If you live in Canada, I would advise doing a Google search on cold, misfire BMW N62 engine. After you have read all there is about the N62 engine and cold weather you can decide if you want to purchase a X5. If I was living in Canada and know what I know now about the BMW V8 engines, I would look at other trucks.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: X5 '02, M3 '88
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
If you live in Canada, I would advise doing a Google search on cold, misfire BMW N62 engine. After you have read all there is about the N62 engine and cold weather you can decide if you want to purchase a X5. If I was living in Canada and know what I know now about the BMW V8 engines, I would look at other trucks.
There IS NO oil separator problem with N62. It applies only to M62.
N62 was first introduced on E53 in 09/2003. So post 09/2003 you are fine, although 24-points test (or whatever it is called there) is strongly advised to verify that VALVETRONIC (ie the so called "misfire") parts do not have excessive wear.
135k km is still a low mileage in this case, so if the test verify that VALVETRONIC is ok, you're fine.

Most N62 engines run fine around here with yearly temps between +30C to -30C.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo View Post
N62 was first introduced on E53 in 09/2003. So post 09/2003 you are fine, although 24-points test (or whatever it is called there) is strongly advised to verify that VALVETRONIC (ie the so called "misfire") parts do not have excessive wear.
135k km is still a low mileage in this case, so if the test verify that VALVETRONIC is ok, you're fine.

First off I did not say that the N62 engine had an oil separator problem. If you read my post I stated a misfire problem with the N62 engine in cold weather.

You never ran across a post on a BMW with the N62 engine misfire in the cold, N62 engine with intermediate levers problems at 60,000 miles?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...rt+misfire+n62

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...rt+misfire+n62

You must live a very shelter life or only post on this forum.

Last edited by upallnight; 02-11-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: X5 '02, M3 '88
The person asked about oil separator, which is a M62 problem. You answered about N62 and another problem. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Also, The N62 "misfire" has nothing to do with cold and it is not the problem, it is the result. The problem is excessive wear in Valvetronic parts which eventually cannot open valves correctly. There is also another problem on some N62 engines where valve stem seals fail prematurely, this can be identified by blue smoke when idling. In general, the problem is only a result of uneven quality of the parts from the manufacturer side AND _STUPID_ first owners believing that 30k km oil change intervals are ok. Cars which have had oil changes after 10-15k km rarely have these problems. A thoroughly check will show wheter these problems are present or not. If their not present after 135k km, then it is unlikely they will occur when taken proper care.
The M62 CCV problem is also not unsolvable, but it requires some previous experience to solve it.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The person asked about oil separator, which is a M62 problem. You answered about N62 and another problem. Doesn't make sense, does it?

Also, The N62 "misfire" has nothing to do with cold and it is not the problem, it is the result. The problem is excessive wear in Valvetronic parts which eventually cannot open valves correctly. There is also another problem on some N62 engines where valve stem seals fail prematurely, this can be identified by blue smoke when idling. In general, the problem is only a result of uneven quality of the parts from the manufacturer side AND _STUPID_ first owners believing that 30k km oil change intervals are ok. Cars which have had oil changes after 10-15k km rarely have these problems. A thoroughly check will show wheter these problems are present or not. If their not present after 135k km, then it is unlikely they will occur when taken proper care.
The M62 CCV problem is also not unsolvable, but it requires some previous experience to solve it.
The original poster asked about his 2005 BMW X5 V8 which make it a N62 engine not a M62 engine.

Quote:

Misfires in an N62 engine due to intermediate levers that are out of tolerance is more noticeable in cold weather because cold weather exacerbate the out of tolerance of the intermediate levers.

Last edited by upallnight; 02-12-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2003 E 53, 110,000 mil
Interesting thread and all the comments which does not leave one feeling very comfortable. I have had mine since 2006 buying an off lease model, 2003 3.0 with 110,000 miles now. Like many of us, I have gone through many issues and repairs, most of which were normal maintenance items that just happened premature IMO. What I am looking at now is a leaking valve cover gasket, clogged crankcase tube, and a leaking oil filter housing gasket. Living in GA does not seem to be a problem from what I have read but I plan on discussing this further with my mechanic. I don't use BMW service dept anymore, mainly for conveyance and cost. I'll post the results once I find out but.....maybe better to move on to another truck with a warranty but I sure would miss the X5 as its a joy to drive.

Bob
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM

replacing the $5.00 gasket in the oil filter housing is a 2-4 hours job depending on you mechanical skill and tools available. hardest part is removing the fan clutch. You can buy the special tools necessary to remove the fan clutch or you can use a BFH to remove it. Video is available on Youtube for the fan clutch removal with a BFH and the replacement of the oil filter housing gasket.

replacing the the valve cover gasket is a 2-3 hours job again depending on your mechanical skills. No special tools are needed to perform this service.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 2003 E 53, 110,000 mil
Thanks for the feedback, I was going to tackle the VCG and crank case hose myself but leave the the oil filter housing gasket alone as there is not much leaking as of yet. Are there any issues not replacing this gasket right away?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobschultz View Post
................. Are there any issues not replacing this gasket right away?
Just oil on the pavement.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Was driving my 2006 X5 on the highway when all of a sudden the engine shut off. I was able to feel the slight loss of power early so was thankfully able to make it the shoulder (right at the apex of an off ramp...pretty scary). The car wouldn't start again. I had it towed and was informed it was hydrolock which in turn had damaged the crankshaft and rendered the engine useless. I have constantly maintained my vehicle at the dealer and have long records of the car burning oil and constantly having to get the maintenance people to top it up (even sending an e-mail for the record indicating my concern regarding this issue). With each inquiry as to why it was going through so much oil I was met with a standard response of "I don't know". It would appear that BMW is very well aware of this design flaw in their vehicle as I have read numerous similar stories on the internet. Is there any rumblings of a recall? Or any recourse that can be taken in a friendly manner to get BMW to help in the huge cost of a new engine? Thoughts, comments or support of any kind are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Call BMW NA customer service and speak to a customer rep. Explain the problem, and be prepared to back up your statement with dates & receipts. Also have you vehicle information available (VIN) and the serving BMW dealerships name and address etc.

You can google BMW NA customer service number to find out what it is...or look in your owners manual binder for contact info.

Good luck.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 98 528i, 2002 M5, 2005 X5
Washer caps are available from every on line BMW parts source.
Bavarian Autosport
ECS Tuning

to name a few
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
sorry to bring up an old thread but might as well ask here. I suppose this affects only cars that experiences harsh winter in the northern hemisphere? I live in australia and I would say our winters are probably something like your late autumns. I would say early morning temperature would be an average of 50F.

thanks