Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
BMWs at the Toronto Auto Show.

Just got back from Toronto where I arranged to attend the Toronto International Auto Show while I took care of other business.

I was going to do a great comparo of 'booth babes' complete with photos but somehow managed to leave my camera at the hotel. I just didn't feel professional asking for poses with my iPhone for equipment. You'll have to take my word for it, the Rolls Royce/Aston Martin babes were hot in an elegant way, and the Fiat babes pegged the cuteness meter. BMW had no babes. They had younger and middle aged guys in suits, looked just like a showroom which I suppose was the look they wanted. Boring....

Which leads me to the point of my post. Orange peel. Or the lack of it. A month ago I was at the local dealership perusing the latest model and as usual I was disappointed by the orange peel in everything from 1'ers to 7's. Awful. A 100K car with wicked orange peel. How depressing. The average Corolla or Fiat 500 has better paint.

While visiting all the booths at the CIAS I paid close attention to the quality of paint. I left BMW for last figuring I would be spending the rest of the day there. I was very surprised to see that NONE of the cars on the floor had orange peel. The paint was as slick and smooth as if it were still wet.

I figured something was up and it wasn't that BMW was using a new paint process. After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint. I asked about whether these cars had been wet sanded and buffed. The guy actually admitted that, yes, in fact every car on the floor had been wet sanded and buffed!

I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 02-19-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I can understand wanting to make your product look good, but I think they are misleading the public into thinking the car they get is going to look as good. It won't. Seeing those cars though does have me thinking of wet sanding and buffing mine.
I dunno, mon. I still remember the foliage run where you and Bemo were pointing out that you could tell my car had been repaired by finding the line between the orange-peeled OEM paint and the fully slick paint from my bodywork guy.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
You've been known to exfoliate goats, so wet-sanding and buffing should be no problem. You've spent years training and strengthening your wrists...it is about time you did something productive with them. Just make sure you apply even pressure with both the left and right hand. You wouldn't want it to look like someone else was doing it.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
maybe one day they'll take all the extra money they have from not spending it on decent paint/process and actually put it back into their product...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I figured something was up and it wasn't that BMW was using a new paint process. After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint. I asked about whether these cars had been wet sanded and buffed. The guy actually admitted that, yes, in fact every car on the floor had been wet sanded and buffed!

You are enrolled in Wet Sand and Buff 101

Wet Sand and Buff 101
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:

Sounds like a daunting process. For some reason, I thought the orange peel resided in the paint layer, not the clear coat layer. Learned something!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Sounds like a daunting process. For some reason, I thought the orange peel resided in the paint layer, not the clear coat layer. Learned something!
Me too!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
The orange peel is deliberate to hide minor blemishes by breaking up the reflected light.
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 02-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM
unbekannt

by creating one huge blemish?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The Orange peel is deliberately put on BMWs and is an important factor in the superior BMW driving dynamics.

If you don't want a car with orange peel buy a Lexus (which as everyone knows is a rebadged Toyota).

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
...or a Porsche (which is a rebadged VW). Me, I'm saving for an Aston-Martin DBS (which I feel is the most beautiful car in the world).
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I dunno, mon. I still remember the foliage run where you and Bemo were pointing out that you could tell my car had been repaired by finding the line between the orange-peeled OEM paint and the fully slick paint from my bodywork guy.
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words. Suppose we can resolve our differences during the 2013 Fall Foliage Run. Ideally after the hot laps with Simon K.

This of course assumes The Captain's willingness to host another LRP visit (pretty please). Now if EdCT would stop wasting his time in the Political Science forum and scopes out another fun route, we'd be set!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words.
Hmmmm. Perhaps it was LQAddict or Captain Audio. I apologize for any damage I may have done to your reputation.

Sincerely,
The Ford Fella

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Blasphemy! I did not utter such words. Suppose we can resolve our differences during the 2013 Fall Foliage Run. Ideally after the hot laps with Simon K.

This of course assumes The Captain's willingness to host another LRP visit (pretty please). Now if EdCT would stop wasting his time in the Political Science forum and scopes out another fun route, we'd be set!
I am planning on hosting 2013 Fall Foliage Run to LRP and the American Mural Project.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The Orange peel is deliberately put on BMWs and is an important factor in the superior BMW driving dynamics.

If you don't want a car with orange peel buy a Lexus (which as everyone knows is a rebadged Toyota).

CA
Are you suggesting that like the dimples on a golf ball, the orange peel effect actually makes the car go straighter and further?
I've heard that part of the reason sharks and modern submarines travel fast is that they have 'rough' skins. Could it be that BMW paint engineers are leading the curve when it comes to performance enhancing paint?

Last edited by DSXMachina; 02-20-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
After discussing the disappointment of the CIAS not having the new 4 like the Chicago show did we talked paint.
The Chicago show didn't have the 4 either. It's only been in Detroit so far. Chicago did have an ///M6 and 650i Gran Coupe. And they were both open! The 740Li was locked. Weird. As was the 328i Touring M Sport.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that like the dimples on a golf ball, the orange peel effect actually makes the car go straighter and further?
I've heard that part of the reason sharks and modern submarines travel fast is that they have 'rough' skins. Could it be that BMW paint engineers are leading the curve when it comes to performance enhancing paint?
Shilling mercilessly for my daughter's science channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/BiteScized), I feel obligated to note that she explains this between 1:18 and 1:53 in the video linked below. The thumbnail for the video even uses her sharkskin illustration.

Last edited by Zooks527; 02-20-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Exactly!

You have come up with the correct question to the answer.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Shilling mercilessly for my daughter's science channel on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/BiteScized), I feel obligated to note that she explains this between 1:18 and 1:53 in the video linked below. The thumbnail for the video even uses her sharkskin illustration.

That's so nice of your daughter to say all these things to the camera instead of seeking you out to share this incredible wealth of information.

Thanks for sharing, she really has talent in front of the camera and an obvious hunger for knowledge and how to apply it beyond just acquiring it. That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Which leads me to the point of my post. Orange peel. Or the lack of it. A month ago I was at the local dealership perusing the latest model and as usual I was disappointed by the orange peel in everything from 1'ers to 7's. Awful. A 100K car with wicked orange peel. How depressing. The average Corolla or Fiat 500 has better paint.
That is pretty rough...!? I don't think I've seen more clearcoat failures on the road than I have Corollas. My guess is that even if you did wetsand your cleacoat, you still* would have thicker paint than what is on a Corolla. Honda doesn't have a great rep either, and the last car I measured paint on was a Honda CRV, only a few years old, and the great majority of my readings were under 100 um. However Mazda is probably the thinnest of them all, I'd guess our BMWs have double the thickness in comparison.

Quote:
Cool video! Subscribed. When she poses the "homework assignment", the immediate conundrum that came to mind was, even if an absolute beginner, I so far cannot sharpen my (entry-ish level) chef knifes to a satisfying level. So far, trying a lower grit double sided waterstone, and a fine grade Spyderco. While I'm 100% certain it is user inability, and we've probably perfected the tech(s) about as far as it will go already, I still am scratching my head to figure out where in nature I could look towards for biomimicry... Hmmm...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM
unbekannt

dude

your daughter is hot
Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:

You'll be happy to learn I'm no longer wasting time in PS , however, now that I'm an adjunct professor teaching the science and physics of audio, as well as composing for the tele, I've got no time for anything ...

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
Like dents on a golf ball.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
The orange peel is deliberate to hide minor blemishes by breaking up the reflected light.
Exactly like using flat ceiling paint (verus semi gloss) when painting the interior of your house.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
You'll be happy to learn I'm no longer wasting time in PS , however, now that I'm an adjunct professor teaching the science and physics of audio, as well as composing for the tele, I've got no time for anything ...
Hey there, perfesser.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.