Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Roger Yeh Roger Yeh is offline
Registered User
Location: salcal
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: '09 535i
old style transmission shift knob in 35i Msport?

Hi all,
My friends recently picked up a '13 X1 35i Msport and I noticed that the transmission shift knob is not the electric "drumstick" type but rather it is the old mechanical one's. I checked the interior picture from the bmwusa.com and it shows the new shift knob on the website. Can anyone who recently picked up a new 2013 X1 35i Msport confirm which shift knob it came with? Thanks very much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
conceyted conceyted is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Yeh View Post
Hi all,
My friends recently picked up a '13 X1 35i Msport and I noticed that the transmission shift knob is not the electric "drumstick" type but rather it is the old mechanical one's. I checked the interior picture from the bmwusa.com and it shows the new shift knob on the website. Can anyone who recently picked up a new 2013 X1 35i Msport confirm which shift knob it came with? Thanks very much in advance for your help!
Your shift knob directly corresponds to the transmission in your car. The reason you are seeing the "old" style shift knob is that the electronic shifting is only available on the 8 speed trans which is current only available in the 28i X1. The 35i X1 will get the old style shift knob and tried and true 6 speed automatic transmission of years past.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Roger Yeh Roger Yeh is offline
Registered User
Location: salcal
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: '09 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
Your shift knob directly corresponds to the transmission in your car. The reason you are seeing the "old" style shift knob is that the electronic shifting is only available on the 8 speed trans which is current only available in the 28i X1. The 35i X1 will get the old style shift knob and tried and true 6 speed automatic transmission of years past.
Thanks a lot for your insight! But my last car '09 E60 535i which I believe is a 6 speed auto has the electric drumstick shift leveler. I know all models that sits on f-platform will have the electric shift leveler but so are the some of the current e-platform like the X3/5/6 and my example on the 535i regardless the number of shifts.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
conceyted conceyted is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Interesting to hear. Either way, the above still stands regarding the x1 :-/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Roger Yeh Roger Yeh is offline
Registered User
Location: salcal
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: '09 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
Interesting to hear. Either way, the above still stands regarding the x1 :-/
Thanks again! As long as it's true for X1 35i then it's all good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
CLD CLD is offline
Registered User
Location: Halifax, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
New shift vs Old shift on 35i X1 M

Hello all,

This is my first post on the X1 forum! I ordered my X1 M 35i in late December and it went into production the middle of January. I too was wondering about the electronic shift and whether or not my car will have it. When you build your car at bmw.ca, the interior pictures clearly show the new shift. So today I called BMW Canada and asked...what shift will my car come with. I was told it will be the new electronic shift. I confirmed with the representative on the phone that I was getting the 35i M, with the 6 cylinder engine. She took my name and number, put me on hold, and after several minutes confirmed that yes, it will be the new shift.

So my fingers are crossed...and I should know in 2 weeks...which is when it gets here.

Has anyone picked up a 35i that was just recently built?

CLD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
conceyted conceyted is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post on the X1 forum! I ordered my X1 M 35i in late December and it went into production the middle of January. I too was wondering about the electronic shift and whether or not my car will have it. When you build your car at bmw.ca, the interior pictures clearly show the new shift. So today I called BMW Canada and asked...what shift will my car come with. I was told it will be the new electronic shift. I confirmed with the representative on the phone that I was getting the 35i M, with the 6 cylinder engine. She took my name and number, put me on hold, and after several minutes confirmed that yes, it will be the new shift.

So my fingers are crossed...and I should know in 2 weeks...which is when it gets here.

Has anyone picked up a 35i that was just recently built?

CLD
Please let us know what you get when you get your car.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM
Foxrus14 Foxrus14 is offline
1 SLY 1
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
Mein Auto: X1 35i xDrive M Sport
I should be getting mine in the next 4-5 days. it is the 35i Msport... I am guessing it is going to be the old shift knob but who knows. it doesn't matter to me either way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Farkled Farkled is offline
Registered User
Location: Ca
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
I should be getting mine in the next 4-5 days. it is the 35i Msport... I am guessing it is going to be the old shift knob but who knows. it doesn't matter to me either way.
Trust me, when you get it the last thing you are going to care about is the shift knob . It's a great package, not missing the 8 speed or ASS at all, just shift with with paddles if you don't like the knob.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Roger Yeh Roger Yeh is offline
Registered User
Location: salcal
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: '09 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
Please let us know what you get when you get your car.
+1 please let us know
My friend's is a November/2012 built. When we were building it we saw the electric leveler as well on the build page that's why I was wondering why it came with the old leveler when the car was delivered two weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
If you ordered a MY2013 you are getting the old 6AT shifter. I haven't seen any evidence [yet] that this is changing for 2014.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
CLD CLD is offline
Registered User
Location: Halifax, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I called the dealership today...and they confirmed it will be the new electric shifter. I will believe it when I see it. Would it have anything to do with where they are built? Canadian X1's are built in Germany. Where are US destined X1's built? There is an X1 plant in Mexico.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM
conceyted conceyted is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 119
Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD View Post
I called the dealership today...and they confirmed it will be the new electric shifter. I will believe it when I see it. Would it have anything to do with where they are built? Canadian X1's are built in Germany. Where are US destined X1's built? There is an X1 plant in Mexico.
US X1s are build in Germany, as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD View Post
I called the dealership today...and they confirmed it will be the new electric shifter. I will believe it when I see it. Would it have anything to do with where they are built? Canadian X1's are built in Germany. Where are US destined X1's built? There is an X1 plant in Mexico.
Pretty sure the only vehicles built by the Mexican subsidiary in the Mexican plant are for the Mexican market. Most X1s are built in Leipzig, except certain markets that require them to built in country.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 AM
jtmililani808's Avatar
jtmililani808 jtmililani808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 138
Mein Auto: 2013 X3, 2015 M3
Any new findings?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 AM
MustGoFast MustGoFast is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 553
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is
Someone post a picture of the old style nob in their new X1 please.
__________________
ED 9/26/2013 '14 550xi Carbon Black Metallic
The Oktoberfest Trip
ED 6/21/2011 335is Crimson Red
ED 5/9/2008 335i Graphite Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Foxrus14 Foxrus14 is offline
1 SLY 1
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
Mein Auto: X1 35i xDrive M Sport
Put eyes on my New X1 35i M Sport last night. Old Style shifter is in it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Foxrus14 Foxrus14 is offline
1 SLY 1
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
Mein Auto: X1 35i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFast View Post
Someone post a picture of the old style nob in their new X1 please.


Old style shift knob. Picked my 35i up last night
__________________
2013 X1 35i M Sport - His
2012 135i M Sport - Hers
2011 SS Camaro RS - His
2010 HD Wide Glide - His
2006 HD Sporty 1200 XL - Hers
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM
CLD CLD is offline
Registered User
Location: Halifax, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post
Your shift knob directly corresponds to the transmission in your car. The reason you are seeing the "old" style shift knob is that the electronic shifting is only available on the 8 speed trans which is current only available in the 28i X1. The 35i X1 will get the old style shift knob and tried and true 6 speed automatic transmission of years past.
A tech from Ontario shared with me the details on the 6 speed vs the 8 speed and what shifter comes with what engine in the X1 and why. I then realized I had read that somewhere but I didn't pay attention to it. Sure enough...here it was...you said it all along.

My car got in yesterday...I pick it up on Monday. Old shifter. With paddles. It was a looooong wait!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Roger Yeh Roger Yeh is offline
Registered User
Location: salcal
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 50
Mein Auto: '09 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLD View Post
A tech from Ontario shared with me the details on the 6 speed vs the 8 speed and what shifter comes with what engine in the X1 and why. I then realized I had read that somewhere but I didn't pay attention to it. Sure enough...here it was...you said it all along.

My car got in yesterday...I pick it up on Monday. Old shifter. With paddles. It was a looooong wait!!
The theory about new style transmission only apply to 8-speed is not entirely true. At least not on some of the e-platform like the '09 E60 5 series/e63 6 series and all of the pre LCI X5/X6 after '09 also have electric leveler but a 6 speed transmission.

Last edited by Roger Yeh; 02-21-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
DCC DCC is offline
BMW Fan
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 508
Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
So the 35i with the old 6speed auto does not get Auto Start/Stop?
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive35i
2011 M3 Sedan
2002 Z3M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
nospam nospam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
So the 35i with the old 6speed auto does not get Auto Start/Stop?
Correct
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms