Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
'12 X5 Diesel. Bit of a problem child.

I'v got a 2012 X5 Diesel. Fabulous car. Just about to click 10k and and we got it in August.

However, it has not been an easy 10k. For starters, the alternator bolt recall. Spent a day in the shop for that.

It loves the Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I feel like im filling that up every thousand miles. Took it in and they kept it over night for some 'programming'. Which seems to have sort of cured it.. Time will tell.

Speakers started rattling. Took it in and they fixed it. Alright.

Then last week, it was a tad cold -10 probably and the car sat outside. Usually sits in the garage but the Forester and 550i got home first and took the spots. Next morning I came out to start it and the whole truck started to shudder, CEL came on, and it went into 'reduced power, service now' mode. I drove it a little bit and restarted it. Seemed to run normal but the CEL was still lit. Took it to work and came out at the end of the day and started it again. Ran fine, CEL was gone, no reduced power. Maybe just the cold?

I am pretty new to BMWs but is this much service to be expected in 10,000 miles? The 550i had one small issue with the auxiliary water pump when I bought it but other than that its been a peach with 49k. Maybe the X5 is just getting the bugs worked out?

If anyone has any insight on these issues, that would be great. Truck is a lease but I feel like I spend more time in 528 and 328 loaners than I do in the car. Need this thing for towing and hauling thats why I am sick of it needing to go in.
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
I wouldn't be too concerned. The bolt recall affected everybody, I think it's great that BMW steps up and takes action to prevent me being stranded somewhere. I've had bad speakers in previous non-BMW cars, that's what the warranty is for. As for the cold starting CEL, I would be only concerned if it started to occur regularly.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Do you have any way of pulling the CEL with a ODB reader? I have a feeling that CEL will be back on again.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
If it's any consolation, we have a 2011 X5d with 45,000 miles and its been rock solid. Def fluid was filled when the oil was filled and never had any other issues. The recalls happen and they were done quickly.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 AM
hang up and drive!

The DEF running low is usually related to the dealer not properly filling both active and passive tanks properly or the metering pump is injecting too much DEF.

Either way it is a dealer problem, not yours.

DEF is injected at about a 1-3% of fuel consumed. You have some 6.5 gals as I recall. Should be plenty to go 10-15k miles between oil services.

I ran out recently after about 7k, took it back and they topped it off and apologized that the service tech had not properly filled the DEF at my previous service.

I just bought the extended warranty so I'm solid for another 3 years/50k miles.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 AM

I guess in Spartanburg NC that day they constructed your car the guys were drunk, to many problems for a new car
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Rolling Coal in the SAV

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D, '07 550i
It seems to be running fine lately. Just seems like a lot of trips to the dealer. Had one issue with the 550i that the little indie shop figured out after I researched the issue on this forum and gave him the idea (thank god for bimmerfest) but other than that, it has been pretty rock solid. Lets hope the X5 proves similar.

One last question, Is it common to put oil in the car before the oil change? I drove the X5 towing my snowmobiles out to Montana and Idaho in December and had to put a quart of oil in because it started beeping that it was low. Truck had 7000miles on it then. When I got back, I just took it in and had them change the oil early. It is paid for I guess...
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeX5 View Post
I'v got a 2012 X5 Diesel. Fabulous car. Just about to click 10k and and we got it in August.

However, it has not been an easy 10k. For starters, the alternator bolt recall. Spent a day in the shop for that.

It loves the Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I feel like im filling that up every thousand miles. Took it in and they kept it over night for some 'programming'. Which seems to have sort of cured it.. Time will tell.
It looks like you need a better dealer OP. The bolt recall took my dealer a couple hours max, that's it. I don't understand why you would need the DEF all the time, unless you're only filling the aux tank and not the larger main tank. I have about 16k on my X5 now and I've never ever needed to fill it up. Not an issue at all.

I've only ever took my X5d for the various recalls and a broken oil level sensor, that's it. And it's been almost 2 years. Rock solid car.

The cold start issue has been documented here by folks from Canada. I've started my X5d left outside in sub zero weather and it never skipped a beat.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

One last question, Is it common to put oil in the car before the oil change? I drove the X5 towing my snowmobiles out to Montana and Idaho in December and had to put a quart of oil in because it started beeping that it was low. Truck had 7000miles on it then. When I got back, I just took it in and had them change the oil early. It is paid for I guess...
It all depends on your driving habits I would say. But I never had to add oil before the first interval.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
One last question, Is it common to put oil in the car before the oil change? I drove the X5 towing my snowmobiles out to Montana and Idaho in December and had to put a quart of oil in because it started beeping that it was low. Truck had 7000miles on it then.
I put a little in way back, somewhere under 10K miles, too. Not untypical at all during a break-in period.