Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Finally, a light truck diesel!

No, its not a BMW nor even the VW Amarok () but it is a real light truck (half ton pick up) diesel. Beginning in the third quarter of this year RAM will start selling their 1500 class truck in the US with the same VM Motori diesel that will be used in the Jeep GC here. Made great sense and it is surprising it took so long. If the truck approaches 30 mpg it will be a winner IMHO. As an aside the engine manufacturer is owned jointly by FIAT and GM -- so it doesn't stretch the imagination far to see perhaps some new diesel offerings in the General's stable as well! In any case for all of us that "love the smell of diesel in the morning" it is good news!

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-16-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Is anyone a fan of the Italian Diesel engines?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 AM

I had a straight six VM turbo diesel in a boat that was absolutely outstanding! Far and away better than the old Bedford Ford diesel it replaced. Many hours and never a problem, great engine.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
As an aside the engine manufacturer is owned jointly by FIAT and GM -- so it doesn't stretch the imagination far to see perhaps some new diesel offerings in the General's stable as well!
Both GM and Ford have sophisticated diesel designs sitting on the shelf for their trucks. Both decided a few years back that the added expense of a diesel engine coupled with the higher price of diesel would result in poor support in the marketplace, and put their projects on hold. Both can probably react fairly quickly should the Dodge prove to be a factor in the marketplace. Kudos to Dodge for giving it a shot - when you're third of 3, there's no reason not to try new things that might give you a bump in share and profit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the new Ford Transit (full size van) that will be built in Ohio will offer a 5 cylinder diesel as an option. I *think* production starts later this year.

Last edited by 62Lincoln; 02-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
They're actually very good, particularly high-speed diesels. I had a 2.8L I-4 in my Liberty CRD and the thing would pulls tree stumps out of the ground. Very solid engine.

That Ram 1500 will do very well.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Both GM and Ford have their "own" diesels -- but they are not certified yet. The VM diesel is certified here (and if does well) it makes sense for GM to jump on that -- since they own half the factory. Ford in the meantime is having to deal with Navistar (International Harvester) for their "small" diesel -- the 5 cyl is from the Ford Europe parts bin I suspect -- as was the Dodge Sprinter's 5 cyl from M-B's bin. Cummins is still locked up to Dodge for the heavy duty stuff, so their 6 cyl "light" diesel is unvailable. Anyway, diesels are great and we are all better served by having more on the road IMHO.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
As an aside the engine manufacturer is owned jointly by FIAT and GM -- so it doesn't stretch the imagination far to see perhaps some new diesel offerings in the General's stable as well!
Isn't GM about to offer a diesel in the CRUZE?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Yes, there will be a diesel CRUZ this year. The point here is that we have never had a shot at a full size truck with a light duty diesel in the states. Only european SUVs/SAVs. I wonder if the Amarok block will continue now that 1 of the big 3 is getting on stage? It will be curious what sort of final drive ratio that it gets along with transmission choice. My DodgeRam has a 3.55:1 rear diff. Hoping this one coming gets somethig taller to stretch the fuel. 3.08 would be good to keep the revs down at highway speed. The rear diff ratio is one fundamental reason sedans get better mileage than diesel SUVs. The CRD equipped JGC used the 3.08 but only had a rating of 23 mpg. A 5000 # Ram will likely struggle to get into the upper 20 mpg range but hopefully they will try.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
What I'd like to see is the mid sized trucks having a diesel. They already have those out in other countries, just not here in the US.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
A while back Mahindra & Mahindra Limited of India was going to bring a small diesel pickup to the U.S. market -- dealers were signed up and everything. Then Mahindra and the U.S. "distributor" got into a legal squabble. I have no idea where things stand presently.

In the States, Ford has put its money on their EcoBoost -- Turbo/GDI technology to achieve better fuel economy with reasonable torque using regular grade gas. While, in what is euphemistically referred to as the developing world, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a small diesel pickup.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Anyone looked at the history of VM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori

Who hasn't owned them at one time or another?

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckerAFG View Post
What I'd like to see is the mid sized trucks having a diesel.
Toyota Hilux w/diesel comes to mind.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM

And the Nissan Patrol! Neither of which we can get here in the North American market!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
hang up and drive!

I have a nice Mitsubishi Montero with a 6 Cyl 3.0l TDI M/T 4X4.

It runs clean but doesn't have nearly the power to accelerate like the 335D. It's a bit of a challenge to pass anyone on the highway. But it seems to go great distances on a tank of cheaper diesel.

That's our vacation car down in Central America.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Both GM and Ford have their "own" diesels -- but they are not certified yet. The VM diesel is certified here (and if does well) it makes sense for GM to jump on that -- since they own half the factory. Ford in the meantime is having to deal with Navistar (International Harvester) for their "small" diesel -- the 5 cyl is from the Ford Europe parts bin I suspect -- as was the Dodge Sprinter's 5 cyl from M-B's bin. Cummins is still locked up to Dodge for the heavy duty stuff, so their 6 cyl "light" diesel is unvailable. Anyway, diesels are great and we are all better served by having more on the road IMHO.
Navistar built the small diesel that Ford ended up putting into the Range Rovers? I thought after the 6.0L fiasco between Navistar and Ford that Ford quickly got divorced from the company. Reason I ask is I thought the last time spy photos of an F150 diesel were released is when all the forums/websites said Ford ultimately decided not to use the engine in US based trucks but was going to be used in a Range Rover.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM

WOW Im surprised with this news I would of bought the AMAROk before the RAm cause the 2 liter DIESEL is the same engine on the GOLF TDi's and its a proven power plant unlike the RAm using the VM which relatively new to our market and suspect will have to go thru the same BS stringient air quality controls.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM

I will have to check but it appears that Ford is going the gas small displacement turbo route for their "economical" trucks (ecoboost) not diesel. They did have trouble(!) with the injectors and head cracking in the NaviStars. I know they had a contract with Navistar that kept them locked in until 2010, and the small diesel that was on the shelf may not have been able to meet emissions standards here (thanks CARB) so went to RR. Their new Power Stroke (2011 on) is a Ford product. Cummins also had a small diesel as does CAT (wouldn't THAT be something to drive - a CAT diesel pickup!!!!) but emissions seem to be the stumbling block for all of them. GM also had a small diesel in the works but that was put on hold in 2009. Makes me wonder if GM are thinking about using this VM since it is certified and all. In the meantime this RAM 1500 V6 turbo diesel is on the way and seems like the real deal -- I hope it works out.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
Cummins also had a small diesel
Stuck a little Cummins B3.3T into my old Jeep Wrangler about 7 yrs ago.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...j-t112807.html

It's just about the exact opposite of the 335d. Loud, rumbling, rough, no electronic anything (it'll run through an EMP pulse or nuclear event). Dang that's a fun little vehicle.

Glad to see more diesel options coming our way.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM

Sweet conversion! Just what Jeep should have made -- but didn't! Out here on the left coast the dreaded CARB would have a fit if we tried that. Did you have any problem with the Iowa emissions Nazi's? Looks like a perfect little rock crawler too!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Stuck a little Cummins B3.3T into my old Jeep Wrangler about 7 yrs ago.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...j-t112807.html

It's just about the exact opposite of the 335d. Loud, rumbling, rough, no electronic anything (it'll run through an EMP pulse or nuclear event). Dang that's a fun little vehicle.

Glad to see more diesel options coming our way.
For awhile I wanted to do a cummins swap into my old 1974 F250 but seems like in recent years people see those engines as gold with the prices they want.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
Sweet conversion! Just what Jeep should have made -- but didn't! Out here on the left coast the dreaded CARB would have a fit if we tried that. Did you have any problem with the Iowa emissions Nazi's? Looks like a perfect little rock crawler too!
No emission tests here. But the tier 2 compliant B3.3T is way better than the carbureted pre tier 1 inline 6 gas engine it replaced.

Sent from my XT901 using Bimmer App

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: German
Wouldn't buy a RAM. Wake me up when a Tacoma/Tundra comes with a diesel or I can get a VW Amarok
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM

The Tacoma has a diesel -- sort of -- but its not sold here. Its called the HiLux and is a mainstay of everywhere else that needs a really rugged truck. Nissan has a similar counterpoint -- the Patrol, again a diesel that is a true utility vehicle. GM even has a diesel Colorado (mid size truck) that is widely sold in South America -- and probably elsewhere, and Ford's Ranger also is diesel powered for export. Of course we all know about the VW Amarok and the "chicken tax". The RAM (which BTW is vastly improved over previous reiterations from most accounts) is at least a start in the right direction!

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.