Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
going to be same diesel motor?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Not to get too far off topic... I recently drove a 2013 X3 and was surprised at how over-boosted the electric steering felt compared to the hydraulic in my X5. I suspect some of this could be corrected by increasing the castor a bit (assuming there's room for adjustment). Is there not a way to adjust the steering effort with the electric steering? Crank the boost down a bit?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepjet View Post
Not to get too far off topic... I recently drove a 2013 X3 and was surprised at how over-boosted the electric steering felt compared to the hydraulic in my X5. I suspect some of this could be corrected by increasing the castor a bit (assuming there's room for adjustment). Is there not a way to adjust the steering effort with the electric steering? Crank the boost down a bit?
No. If you buy the diesel you won't get that problem.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa6A View Post
I've seen spy shots and renderings of the 2014 and I prefer the look of the 2013.

There will likely be incentives on the 2013s when the 14s start being built.
?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Stuart in Houston

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I'd rather have a new model I can keep for years compared to an old model that's already outdated. If there are bugs... That's what warranty is for.
A simplistic statement that requires more comment...

IN GENERAL, the last year or two of any BMW model is bug-free. They have the manufacturing, software and hardware down to an art. But yes, many of the latest features that have been rolled out to newer models won't make their way into the last year of an existing model (example: see the thread about "Speed Limit Display" in this forum). And obviously one won't get the new engines, trannies and whatnot of a new model.

But the first year of any new BMW model is universally acknowledged to have more issues. It takes about a year for BMW to fine-tune a new model. There will be combinations of engine, transmissions, features, suspensions and more. Plus driving styles, weather, roads, etc. And then there are tire issues. There is NO WAY they can foresee all the problems that a year of real world experiences show them.

Sometimes they can fix these issues with software or minor service updates. But what happens when they need to do a real tweak to a model to improve it? The odds are the warranty is NOT going to cover it. Especially if it's to "improve" our new cars, not really "fix" them. After all, who's to say the difference between the two?

My point is not to say never buy a first year model. Just that it's not as simple as "warranty" will handle it.

Prior BMWs
2009 X5 4.8 White (w/hitch)
2007 550i Monaco Blue, Sport
2004 X5 4.4i
2003 540i M-Sport w/Dinan mods (last of the great E39's)
2002 X5 3.0
2000 540i Sport
1995 525i Sport
1991 325is
1986 325es
Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
A simplistic statement that requires more comment...

IN GENERAL, the last year or two of any BMW model is bug-free. They have the manufacturing, software and hardware down to an art. But yes, many of the latest features that have been rolled out to newer models won't make their way into the last year of an existing model (example: see the thread about "Speed Limit Display" in this forum). And obviously one won't get the new engines, trannies and whatnot of a new model.

But the first year of any new BMW model is universally acknowledged to have more issues. It takes about a year for BMW to fine-tune a new model. There will be combinations of engine, transmissions, features, suspensions and more. Plus driving styles, weather, roads, etc. And then there are tire issues. There is NO WAY they can foresee all the problems that a year of real world experiences show them.

Sometimes they can fix these issues with software or minor service updates. But what happens when they need to do a real tweak to a model to improve it? The odds are the warranty is NOT going to cover it. Especially if it's to "improve" our new cars, not really "fix" them. After all, who's to say the difference between the two?

My point is not to say never buy a first year model. Just that it's not as simple as "warranty" will handle it.
How has the new F30 (3 Series) been the first year, in terms of reliability?

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!