Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 318is
Timing 2000 740i sport

I have a question for the for the bimmer brainiacs, I'm doing the timing on my 2000 740i, I bought the car used last year so I am not totally familiar with the history.It had the p011,p0021 codes.This will be my fourth time trying to get it right.
I'm trying to get it on TDC to lock the camshaft, (i do have the lock down tool kit)the problem is when I align the marks on the engine and the balancer there is no hole on the fly wheel to insert the pin. I'm using a flaslight to see what and where i'm going, I do see three small holes which one of them would seem to line up with the 45 degrees OT line, but from what I have gathered I should be lining it up with the OT line on the harmonic balancer not the OT 45 degrees mark. Am I doing something wrong???? I have turned it so my bank one cams are pointing up, I have turned it to see if I'm just missing the hole but I can only see the three holes one of which i'm sure would fit the pin, but they don't seem to put it at TDC?? I DO NEED SOME REAL ADVICE ON THIS ONE, I'm stumped??
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
There are two strokes for the motor - Be sure that your TDC on cylinder 1 by removing the spark plug and making sure the piston is all the way at the top. Use dip stick.

Man, I just went through timing hell with mine. It's definitely not easy. It takes experts a few tires to get it right. Here are the basics. It all has to line up. OT on pulley, Cams should have the markings A & E facing upwards. Here try using this:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 88 BMW 735i
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 3-SERIES View Post
There are two strokes for the motor - Be sure that your TDC on cylinder 1 by removing the spark plug and making sure the piston is all the way at the top.
Correction : This is a 4 stroke engine(admission-compression-explosion-evacuation). In a full cycle, cylinder #1 will be at the highes point twice(compression/evacuation). Make sure whenever your cylinder 1 is all the way up, TDC mark on harmonic balancer is aligned and also the flywheel pin hole is aligned. If you can't get this 3 signs aligned in the same time, re check. Something is not right. If you have this 3 signs aligned and you follow the instructions described in the link provided by bmw3series, you will get it right.

Flywheel has to have that hole, and you must have the same flywheel, without it the engine will not work. There's no way for that engine not too have the hole for pin. Some have 2 holes one for TDC and one for 45 degrees before TDC.
Go to realOEM.com, put your vin # in, and search for the part number for your flywheel. Once you have it, search ebay with that part # for an exactly pictured flywheel.
This is a generic picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-540-740-...-/271048730371

Last edited by joyism5; 02-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i, 2001 740i
Are you looking at OT thru a mirror or thru the grill at eye level or are you eyeballing from above ? If your cams markings are pointing up you are on the correct piston stroke. Lock it in the one hole that fits and look at your crank pulley marks at eye level thru the front grill or with a mirror.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport (E39)
I know its a 4-stroke motor, I'm saying a lot of people are setting the timing when the 1st cylinder piston is down, not TDC.