Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Mockingbird Mockingbird is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Dealer f up my car. Need advice.

I had few scratches on my door when I pickup my car. The dealer promised me they will fix it. Today I dropped my car to get it fixed and when I picked up the car I still see those scratches but now additional circular scuffed marks like they used some kind of brush on the car. Not only this my rim is chipped which I noticed when I got home. My car is just a month old and I am very upset because I also don't take my car to regular car wash only hand car wash as I know it's hard to maintain black car. Never the less when I told the service advisor I still see the scratch he said "Ignore it." I have emailed the owner, GM and VP of the dealership and wiring for their reply. But now my fear is I will never be able to get rid of those circular buff scratches. I need advice how can I get this fixed.
Thanks.
__________________


X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
I had few scratches on my door when I pickup my car. The dealer promised me they will fix it. Today I dropped my car to get it fixed and when I picked up the car I still see those scratches but now additional circular scuffed marks like they used some kind of brush on the car. Not only this my rim is chipped which I noticed when I got home. My car is just a month old and I am very upset because I also don't take my car to regular car wash only hand car wash as I know it's hard to maintain black car. Never the less when I told the service advisor I still see the scratch he said "Ignore it." I have emailed the owner, GM and VP of the dealership and wiring for their reply. But now my fear is I will never be able to get rid of those circular buff scratches. I need advice how can I get this fixed.
Thanks.
Tell them that they have PROVED that they can't fix it so if it were me, I would INSIST that they have an external detailer fix the problem at their cost. I had a similar thing with a scratch on a 2-day old rim (they swapped tires) and noticed that they had "scarred" the rim whn they did their work. They had a wheel repair guy do a touch up and you can't even tell it was ever scratched. I think they had to pay like $75 for the rim repair.
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 AM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
If the dealer promises to fix their mess up, make sure you have everything in writing and signed by the managers. Don't ever take their word for it.

And yes, your scuffs and scratches can be fixed and returned to its original appearance.
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Mockingbird Mockingbird is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
So I got my car back they fixed the rim and wet sand my car. It did not fix the swirl marks. I am not sure what wet sand does i am not good with polish And paint much but obviously did not fix my problem. I spoke to the GM of the dealership and he said they will fix it no matter what so my car is going again to the shop. I am worried if they do so many things on the car with paint would it decrease the life of the paint? I need expert advice on this.
__________________


X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.

Last edited by Mockingbird; 02-22-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,112
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Im sorry, but you are an idiot if you dont listen to MULTIPLE people telling you to get it away from them.

I have nothing to add. Have it fixed right- WHICH MEANS NOT LETTING THE DEALER KEEP DOING THIS. Take control of the situation, or pay the price of being a sheep.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Im sorry, but you are an idiot if you dont listen to MULTIPLE people telling you to get it away from them.

I have nothing to add. Have it fixed right- WHICH MEANS NOT LETTING THE DEALER KEEP DOING THIS. Take control of the situation, or pay the price of being a sheep.
Lighten up dude. I'm tired of your all knowing ass posting **** like this in every other if not every post you make!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Mockingbird, I wouldn't worry about the scratch too much if it is not through the clear coat. If it is you got two options. Repaint the panel or if you got a solid black car and not metallic, fill it with single stage matched paint, wet sand it level with the finish and buff.

Wet sanding is usually done to level out the paint and address orange peel that is present in every production car these days. It is not meant to remove swirl marks. That is done with a rotary buffer. If wet sanding is not done properly, I.E. three or four levels of grit from 600 to 2000 it will not buff out. Consequently if its not buffed with three levels of compound and separate pads for each one it will leave a swirl pattern that will be especially noticible on a black car. Dealers will try to cover up their inadequacy the finish department by putting waxes and glazes that will temporarily mask the underling swirl pattern left by quick or improper buff job.

If you are worried about paint longevity, i see you are in NY. If are are around Brooklyn, you can swing by me, and I'll measure the thickness of your paint in the buffed, wet sanded area with my electronic paint thickness meter. If there is enough mills you need not worry about paint longevity, the paint is still there. If they burned too much off and you have less than half mill of clear left in that spot after all the sanding and buffing, it will potentially peel down the road.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me I will go into more detail.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,112
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
Mockingbird, I wouldn't worry about the scratch too much if it is not through the clear coat. If it is you got two options. Repaint the panel or if you got a solid black car and not metallic, fill it with single stage matched paint, wet sand it level with the finish and buff.

Wet sanding is usually done to level out the paint and address orange peel that is present in every production car these days. It is not meant to remove swirl marks. That is done with a rotary buffer. If wet sanding is not done properly, I.E. three or four levels of grit from 600 to 2000 it will not buff out. Consequently if its not buffed with three levels of compound and separate pads for each one it will leave a swirl pattern that will be especially noticible on a black car. Dealers will try to cover up their inadequacy the finish department by putting waxes and glazes that will temporarily mask the underling swirl pattern left by quick or improper buff job.

If you are worried about paint longevity, i see you are in NY. If are are around Brooklyn, you can swing by me, and I'll measure the thickness of your paint in the buffed, wet sanded area with my electronic paint thickness meter. If there is enough mills you need not worry about paint longevity, the paint is still there. If they burned too much off and you have less than half mill of clear left in that spot after all the sanding and buffing, it will potentially peel down the road.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me I will go into more detail.
Are you showing off with your knowledge or actually helping the OP fix HIS problem?

How will your 'electronic' paint meter (as opposed to the non-electronic ones?) help the OP??

Remember, it isnt fixed now- the swirls are still visible- what do YOU suggest he do? Now.

But wait...aren't you the one taking cars to 4 dealers shopping for a cure to your 'issue' instead of actually doing what it takes to diagnose the actual issue?- so please, do tell the OP how to handle his issue with his dealer. You seem to be an expert at getting dealers to fix cars.

And let me get this straight- your solution to his scratched clear coated paint (on a brand new car) is to fill it with a single stage color coat, wet sand and buff it?????

Sadly the OP will think you are there to help, giving him such a rosy post- and he may actually let the dealer F it up further. Well done
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Are you showing off with your knowledge or actually helping the OP fix HIS problem?

How will your 'electronic' paint meter (as opposed to the non-electronic ones?) help the OP??

Remember, it isnt fixed now- the swirls are still visible- what do YOU suggest he do? Now.

But wait...aren't you the one taking cars to 4 dealers shopping for a cure to your 'issue' instead of actually doing what it takes to diagnose the actual issue?- so please, do tell the OP how to handle his issue with his dealer. You seem to be an expert at getting dealers to fix cars.

And let me get this straight- your solution to his scratched clear coated paint (on a brand new car) is to fill it with a single stage color coat, wet sand and buff it?????

Sadly the OP will think you are there to help, giving him such a rosy post- and he may actually let the dealer F it up further. Well done
Did it take you a while to sit there and nit pick to come up with rebuttals to everything I wrote so you can get into a pissing contest with me. You have too much free time that I dont have to waist on a jerk like you. You call the guy an idiot for no reason if there is ever a reason to call someone that here for not knowing that much about paint or how to deal with it. Where i come from you better bring a set of dentures fot **** like that.

To op. electronic paint meters dont harm the paint in any way. My solution would be to talk to your dealer with your new found knowledge, and either have them buff the scratch and the swirls out using proper teqnique or have an outside professional detailer fix the issue at their expense. They are not denyaing they caused the scratch and the damage that resulted from their attempts to remedy it. That is a good start. Now, verify if the scratch is down to the base coat. If it is, it can't just be buffed out. If it is not through the clear, talk to the manager and ask him to have his best detailer work on your car and use multiple compounds and then swirl remover to rid the swirl pattern. You are welcome to borrow my paint meter if you want, which you can demonstrate to the deler and ask to stay within a certain threshhold on the paint thickness.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
And let me get this straight- your solution to his scratched clear coated paint (on a brand new car) is to fill it with a single stage color coat, wet sand and buff it?????

And let me get this straight - What do you suggest? Remove every trim piece and repaint the entire door on a brand new car?? And deal with diminished value of having paint that is twice as thick on one side as if the car was wrecked. Never mind the fact that its not factory paint anymore on one door. Or maybe have the dealer buy back the car?

Single stage to fill a scratch on a solid black car is the least harmful, least invasive alternative to deal with something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Whippa Whippa is offline
Registered User
Location: Charleston SC
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
You know I have really enjoyed this post ....very entertaining on a lot of levels......To the OP two choices :

1. Give it to the dealer and tell him : Give me a loaner until you cant see the scratches at all , you have 7 days ! Have every visit documented on the service record.. After 7 days get your car and go to a pro.. Litigate damages.

2. Take it to a pro now and get it fixed and litigate damages.

From what it sounds it probably will be a paint job..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
JohnMN JohnMN is offline
Registered User
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
If the appearance of your paint is important to you, don't let the dealer attempt another repair. They've already demonstrated that they can't fix it.

Get repair quotes from professional detailers and bring those quotes to the dealer. Demand that they cover the cost of the repair using a professional of your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Frank-O Frank-O is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Audi S4, BMW X5
Good luck Mockingbird...hope it works out.
__________________
2013 Audi S4 - Glacier White - 6MT

2010 BMW X5 - Black Sapphire
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Mockingbird Mockingbird is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Thank you guys for all this information I gave them a last chance to fix it. I also mention to the service manager I want in writing all the stuff preformed on my car to fix this issue. I have two service orders on which they have mentioned what they did. Now of they are unable to fix it my next step would be to take it to a professional detailer and get advice and cost to fix it which the dealer will have to pay. I will get everything in writing And the service advisor himself agreed that it was a lousy work they did and he knows how to fix it. So I am wiring now next is I would like to find some good body shop who can fix this in NY as I know of they could not fix it 2 times they never can.
__________________


X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Mockingbird Mockingbird is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
I know one body shop in Brooklyn bay ridge I lived there before moving on the island. It's across from the Nathan's. on 86th st I know they have been around for a while does any one know about this place ?
__________________


X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM
gresch's Avatar
gresch gresch is offline
Don't be a hammer
Location: NY/NJ/LI
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
Thank you guys for all this information I gave them a last chance to fix it. I also mention to the service manager I want in writing all the stuff preformed on my car to fix this issue. I have two service orders on which they have mentioned what they did. Now of they are unable to fix it my next step would be to take it to a professional detailer and get advice and cost to fix it which the dealer will have to pay. I will get everything in writing And the service advisor himself agreed that it was a lousy work they did and he knows how to fix it. So I am wiring now next is I would like to find some good body shop who can fix this in NY as I know of they could not fix it 2 times they never can.
Call Jefferson Automotive in Manhasset, they do great work and have been in business for a very long time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Brian425 Brian425 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
That is John from Atlantic Auto body. He is a good guy. I never had major work done there; but, he did a few small jobs for me and I was always happy with the work and price.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,462
Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I assume the OP has joined BMWCCA by now. Ask members of your local chapter for good body shops in your area.

You may not like his style, but ard is giving you the best advice. No surer way to screw up the value of your car than put a single stage paint ON TOP OF your clear coat. (Maybe GM doesn't put clear coat on their plastic cars?)

The important issue is whether the scratches / swirls are only in the clear coat, of if they go all the way down to the color coat. If they are only in the clear coat and not too deep, a good detailer may be able to polish or wet sand them out. If not, you need to have the entire panel resprayed.

But please do yourself a huge favor and make sure whichever shop does the work knows the difference between ROTARY and ORBITAL buffers.

Unless your dealership has a very good internal body shop (and very few do), my guess is the only way this will be resolved properly is to have the work done by a high quality shop (i.e. the one you get referred to by the local BMWCCA chapter), with the dealer eating the cost. You may need to get your auto insurance company involved.
__________________


Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM
KLENJ KLENJ is offline
Registered User
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Make an appointment to see Phil in Northern NJ. He is one of the top car detailers in the country. He will be able to fix the damage with correct paint correction techniques.

https://detailersdomain.com/Detailin...s_ep_45-1.html

http://www.detailingbliss.com/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
No surer way to screw up the value of your car than put a single stage paint ON TOP OF your clear coat. (Maybe GM doesn't put clear coat on their plastic cars?)
You missed the point completely. You are not covering the entire panel with single stage, what you are doing is filling only the scratch. After enough of a build layer is put on and cures, you wet sand it flat with the clear. What you are left with is paint only in the scratch. We are talking a thousandth of an inch or two deep and only wide enough to span the scratch width. Since the single stage is a catalyzed paint, it will be just as hard and durable as the surrounding clear. If it's a solid black car, its a pretty simple repair. It can be buffed out unlike a metallic. If the scratch is not through the clear but too deep to buff out completely without getting too thin, I would fill the scratch with some clear, let cure and then sand it out. On a solid black car you may be able to do it even if it is down to the base layer but not through it. It's pretty easy to tell right away if only clear works to fix it. Dab some clear in the scratch with a small artist brush, if the scratch disappears optically looking at it straight on, it will be fine. If you still see it, you can easily remove the clear you just put on with some acetone before it gets a chance to cure and proceed with the color matched single stage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms