Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach0726 View Post
I'd be interested to hear if you guys have experieced this: Prior to changing the trans fluid, my first shift of the day (from 1st to 2nd, I think - but maybe 2nd to 3rd) was very firm. After that the shifts were all very smooth & consistent. Post trans fluid change the first shift of the day is no longer firm. Its the same as all the others.
Did it always shift that way or did it progressively get to that point before the fluid swap?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d, April build
I definetly noticed it more prior to getting the fluid swapped, but maybe that's just me being unobservant in the past!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
If true, a salvage yard find would make the break even point happen on first fluid change.

...Alittle bit later. I went back to realoem. Firstly, my VIN calls for the 6HP26. Secondly, the 2004 (2/2004 production) E53 X5 does indeed have the same transmission and uses a metal pan.
That's great detective work! Please update if you find a donor...this could be a very nice upgrade!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I found an aluminum pan for sale that the person claims fits a 6hp26. i am trying to verify this but the guy wants a way way way high price... $700. it does look like the right shape. Meanwhile, the company 62 lincoln found (california transmission company) tell me that the other metal pan has a smaller capacity than the OEM plastic one. They also say that to fill the metal pan you have to add fluid though an overflow port in the bottom of the pan. I'm lost as to what that means. They go on to say that if you fill it to the same level as you would using the plastic pan (to where it is bearly seeping out of the housing's side fill port, it will be one liter too full and harm the transmission). I'm lost why if the fluid is at the same level as before that it has too much fluid. I will call the ZF authorized place in conn to verify these statements. I can't figure out how to post a photo but wanted to show you this aluminum pan. It is nice. I have been able to post before but the photo thing is asking for a url and the pic file is on my hard disk. What gives?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Aluminum trans pan pics

figured it out. quick reply doesn't have all the options that post reply does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fins front view.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	363428   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal view.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	363429  
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Do you think that the OEM decided (on the aluminum pan) that they needed the extra cooling for the SUV/CUV application (potential towing, etc.) and thus went with the design in your pic? I can't think of any other reason to design a pan that has less capacity, yet seemingly more cooling capability...although reducing capacity seems counterintuitive to the towing application.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM

62 Lincoln,
I guess i caused confusion. The normal metal (likely stamped steel) is for the X5 that has the reduced capacity. The aluminum pan i found is for a B7 Alpina. This is a sportier 745 with ~500 hp. So, the extra heat dissipation is there for pushing the heavy 7 series chassis as well as the high hp and torque. This aluminum pan looks a little deeper than the OEM plastic one. So, the extra cooling from the fins+ aluminum's superior thermal conductivtyi plus a little more fluid capacity would help the trans run cooler i believe. I have no specs on the Aluminum pan so don't know how much more fluid it holds.

I'm still befuddled about ctsc.com peeps telling me the fill level of the steel pan is lower than the OEM plastic one (read above carefully). So, what i need to determine is if i use the Aluminum pan, can i fill it to the plastic pan's top off point. This would be the only way to gain capacity. I still have to get past the high price point of the Alpina aluminum unit too. I looked it up on realoem. It retails for .... caugh caugh.... $1500! If you are interested in looking it up, use E65, B7 Alpina, 2006 production,US, lefthand driver as inputs to the realOEM.com menus.

Way back, i wanted to put an aluminum finned one on my dodge truck and they only want $275 from a domestic manufacturer. Next fluid change on the truck, i may do it. It holds ~ 4 more quarts than the OEM steel dodge pan. I've changed the fluid twice on it so far.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
BB, I thought we have the 6HP28? Or is the pan the same for the 26 and 28?
IIRC...ZF changed the name to 28 when they upgraded the Tq rating.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM

Trans tear down pictures/process for 6HP26

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...eardown-2.html

The above link is a tear down of the X5 version of our 6HP26 (or is it 28 tee hee). The guy goes into deep detail. Very cool for us gear heads on the fest!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
IIRC...ZF changed the name to 28 when they upgraded the Tq rating.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
I think BMW references the transmission as a "TU"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6HP_2ndGen_EN_2006s.pdf (941.2 KB, 191 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Quote:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...eardown-2.html

The above link is a tear down of the X5 version of our 6HP26 (or is it 28 tee hee). The guy goes into deep detail. Very cool for us gear heads on the fest!
Thanks for posting this!

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM

So, i have been trying ... and trying ... and trying .... to contact the seller of the aluminum pan for the E65 Alpina. Finally ran across him on another website. His asking price was $700 over a year ago. My bellweather cost is $275 to $300 for a domestically produced pan for my Dodge truck. Since there are about 2000 times more dodge rams than E65 Alpinas, i can understand the cost being higher purely from a tooling/volume produced standpoint. Anyway, he wants me to make him an offer and there ain't no way i will pay even close to $700. That would pay for three fluid change kits from ctsc.com and i would still have to fork over the $200 for the fluid, filter and gasket. I'm thinking $400 to $450. I'm not due for a fluid change for a long time as I have 23.9 k miles on the clock. My motivation is for the trans to run cool in the 100F heat of Texas summers. The ctsc guy (named Klaus) told me that the trans actually has a fluid heater as it wants a certain temp range of fluid. I'm wondering what that range is and if using the Aluminum pan would cause the heater to run more in our mild gulf coast winters (temps no cooler than 45F generally). I know the trans fluid runs through a heat exchanger external to the trans ... maybe the radiator. The fluid topping off procedure says to check for being full at 40C (104F) and that is the fluid temp. If the fluid runs that cool, this may be a very expensive waste of time. Klaus was concerned about the fins hanging down too far and ramming something on the ground and tear up trans housing. I just like the aluminum pan. Maybe i could get the fins milled down shorter at a machine shop ... more $$$. Maybe i should forget about this and spend this on other needed home repairs.

Is my potential offer too low or legit to make him an offer?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Need opinion on trans pan please

see above
Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
My opinion is that, unless you're tracking or running consecutive ETs, that the transmission doesn't need more cooling.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM

3,500 miles from 50k. Pan drop on the horizon !!!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
My opinion is that, unless you're tracking or running consecutive ETs, that the transmission doesn't need more cooling.
Thanks Floyd. Do you mean ET=exhaust temperature or do you mean do back to back races (ET=elapsed times)?

Separately, even if i go ahead and get the pan, is my $400 offer going to be rude to the guy? I don't want to piss him off and then he won't talk anymore. If i can get a decent deal, I want to do the pan just on the principle that a plastic pan is stupid and the bean counters twisted someone's arm.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Thanks Floyd. Do you mean ET=exhaust temperature or do you mean do back to back races (ET=elapsed times)?
Elapsed Times - 1/4 miles.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: tbd
Cost Of Tranny Flush

I have done 2 tranny flushes:

@37k mi $219 April 2012
@76k mi $240 April 2013

I use La Jolla Independent BMW.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Ford 6R80 Transmission

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but this seems to be the place. First of all, is the $275 "domestic manufactured pan" for your truck made by Mag Hytec in Van Nuys CA, because I have one of those on my Chevy and it is a beautiful piece. Well made and very thick aluminum,with a nice big drain plug on it so you can change the fluid without making a huge mess (the OEM 4L60E pan had no drain plug).

Secondly, I have read that Ford has licensed the transmission in our D's from ZF and makes them domestically for many of their 6-speed rear/all wheel drive vehicles, including the F-150. Has anyone looked into this for cheaper parts and fluid for our cars? If Mercon LV will work in our cars then there are lots of ATFs that meet the requirement, and if the Ford filters and gaskets work they are like 10 bucks. There are also relatively cheap aftermarket aluminum pans available for the Ford transmissions.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:39 PM

@RWNJ,
Yes, your guessed target is correct. I am not familiar with a 6R80 Ford transmission. I will go look and see if it looks right. The OEM plastic pan on our diesels (and gassers too) has a nice drain plug though. My OEM Dodge pan does not but atleast it is steel. Thanks for the tip. Range Rovers and also some Jags have the 6hp26/6hp28 transmission. I hear that we actually have the 6hp28 as it can handle more torque. Not sure why some of the websites say that it is a 6hp26. In this regard, it is the same pan shape and fluid capacity though.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Summit Racing has an aluminum pan made for mustang that is ~$185. It looks too deep though. It has same shape as the 6hp26/28 though. Friend at work has Ford Raptor with same transmission. I looked underneath it. Same shape as our plastic one but stamped steel with no drain plug. The aftermarket one holds 3 more quarts of fluid than stock Ford. the stock one on friends Raptor was definately deeper than ours. Sounds like the aftermarket aluminum from Performance Automatic would have capacity atleast 5 or 6 quarts more than our stock plastic pans. Verdict: Overkill but pan price is quite reasonable.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM

My 2009 335 d has 41k hwy miles and also bought the BMW platinum extended warranty 7/70.
If I do the transmission fluid/filter change myself, would that void my BMW warranty?
And do I have to use BMW parts exclusively or can get parts from ZF folks?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 PM

I asked this of my dealer. Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is, you can do this work yourself. If something goes wrong with your transmission and you just worked on it, we will not cover the cost of the repairs. I'm not trying to scare you. I have info on how to competently do this work. I have read of several folks here and the other E90 forum that did their own service. Just be aware that there is a risk. If you buy ZF fluid, that should be legitimate factory fluid in my book but i'm not 100%. Look higher up in this thread where i posted a great website for parts and fluid.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Use only genuine BMW parts oil and filter and why should you tell the dealer you worked on the transmission oil change etc.?
if the dealer does not know and parts like oil pan etc. is genuine BMW, they would not have any way of
knowing this. Just as my other cars, ATF has no dipstick.
I have changed transmission fluid and filter in my A6 Audi and had to use the diagnostic cable connected
that measures the temperature of the ATF fluid, and I think I had to fill it when the temp was between
35 to 38C. I used ZF Fluid specific to that transmission but used genuine Audi filter and all worked OK. Oil that came out was like black
at 60K miles. Same thing in my Passat.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
My 2009 335 d has 41k hwy miles and also bought the BMW platinum extended warranty 7/70.
If I do the transmission fluid/filter change myself, would that void my BMW warranty?
And do I have to use BMW parts exclusively or can get parts from ZF folks?
They can on void the warranty if you didn't use OEM or ZF parts and fluid OR if the work was done poorly (ex, improperly torqued pan screws caused a leak, or over/underfill caused damage).

Keep your receipts.

Other than being a pain to refill there's nothing magical about the transmission.