Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

View Poll Results: How bad is the throttle (tip-in) delay on your X1?
0 - It's fine; no noticeable issues. 14 23.73%
1 - It's usually OK; occasional lag but doesn't bother me. 14 23.73%
2 - It's noticeable but no worse than most cars I've driven. 8 13.56%
3 - It happens fairly often and is bad enough to detract from my enjoyment of driving the car. 14 23.73%
4 - It's pretty bad and BMW should be ashamed of itself. 6 10.17%
5 - It's so bad that I would never buy another BMW. 3 5.08%
6 - I drive an X3 or 3 series, and I have enough lag that I would rank it 3-5 on the above scale. 1 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
X1 Tip-in delay/poor throttle response/hesitation

I drive 3 cars regularly: a 2011 335D, my wife's 2012 X3 35i, and a 2011 Mazda Miata 6M.

The X3, which has all applicable current software updates applied, frequently exhibits annoying throttle response (i.e. delay in response to pressing on the throttle, followed by too-rapid acceleration if the driver gets impatient). The 335D has some turbo lag (and if I am not mistaken normally starts out in 2nd), but is reasonably responsive. The Miata, being a manual and non-turbo, has no detectable lag in response to the throttle.

My 335D lease is up in a few months, and I would be very interested in an X1 to replace it. However, as much as I find my wife's X3 enjoyable to drive (as in the best driving cross-over I've driven), the throttle tip in lag significantly detracts from the enjoyment of driving it, and I don't think I would want to deal with it on a daily driver.

I'm starting a poll to see how those with X1's see this issue. I'm using a scale of 0-5, where 0 is best (no noticeable tip-in issues, as in my Miata); 1 is no significant issues (but occasional lag), such as my 335D. I'm calling the X3 with software updates a 3. A 5 would be pretty much undrivable. Please respond with your view of the throttle response of your X1 and any comments you may have.

It would be helpful if you would list the exact drive train you have (engine and transmission) and if you are responding re a 3-series or X3, the specifics of your car.

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt

Last edited by dgkfl; 01-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
I would give it a 4. Getting honked at and a few narrow misses already at intersections because of the lag.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Grey: you probably posted while I was still constructing the poll. Would you mind putting your response into the poll please?

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM

2/3 say there is a problem

C'mon, folks, only 10 responses? The fact that 6 out of 9 X1 responses (as I post this) indicate a problem is upsetting, but that's not much of a sample size.

Please, I can understand the people who do have a problem would respond to a poll like this, but what about the rest of you? If most of you are passing this poll by because you have no problem, please take a moment to vote so that we get a fair sample size.

And if you are having a problem, please let us know!

Thanks,
David

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
28i Sdrive, answered #1 in the poll. Used to drive a VW Tiguan which had the same engine as the Audi A4 - 4 cyl turbo and the lag was the same as the x1 so maybe I'm used to it.

DeeDee
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
I answered with a 4; very nearly went with a 5. I won't buy another BMW period, but the throttle lag only got me 90% of the way to that point; numerous other annoyances (Professional radio, among other things) pushed me over the edge. Actually contemplating selling the car off at a loss just to wash my hands of it, though if I focus on the good things... it really is a great car in the end. It's just... those little things that I have to deal with day in and day out, that make me question everything. auto wipers that don't auto-wipe if it's snowing; blinkers that don't disengage until the wheel is back to straight-and-center, which means when I turn left onto a street that gradually turns left, my blinker never shuts off... and of course the (er, I mean, Auto start-stop...)

oh yeah... drivetrain... idrive 28, AWD 8 spd auto.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
Voted 3.

xDrive28i Sport Line
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I have had the 335d as a loaner. I had a 2009 335i and still have a 2009 128i and a 2001 S2000 Turbo (6MT).

The throttle response on our 2013 X1 x28i M Sport is the same as our 335i & 128i and by recollection the 335d.

I posted more of my impressions in the throttle hesitation thread.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Voted 2...
xdrive 28i

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM

Just as a point of reference on other BMW's, as I said buried in my first post, the 335d has occasional turbo lag, but very minor tip-in delay. Another way of saying that is throttle response (aside from the turbo lag) is linear and predictable, if not outstanding.

The X3 35i has a specific problem related to tip-in. It was worse before the software update, but still happens. This is felt as an inability to predict how the car will respond when you press the accelerator from rest. It is especially noticeable when traveling on a street with a number of stop signs. It is improved in S mode but still not eliminated.

So: in the 335d, I know how the car will respond to my throttle inputs; in the X3, from rest, I do not. If the X1 is also like that (I suspect it is), it's very discouraging.

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkfl View Post
Just as a point of reference on other BMW's, as I said buried in my first post, the 335d has occasional turbo lag, but very minor tip-in delay. Another way of saying that is throttle response (aside from the turbo lag) is linear and predictable, if not outstanding.

The X3 35i has a specific problem related to tip-in. It was worse before the software update, but still happens. This is felt as an inability to predict how the car will respond when you press the accelerator from rest. It is especially noticeable when traveling on a street with a number of stop signs. It is improved in S mode but still not eliminated.

So: in the 335d, I know how the car will respond to my throttle inputs; in the X3, from rest, I do not. If the X1 is also like that (I suspect it is), it's very discouraging.
Good description, that is exactly what I experienced in my test drive with the X3 35 m sport, it also would have sporadic jerky downshifts (all in manual mode) I would say that based on my X1 28 test drives the tip in issue is the same but not as pronounced as the X3 which really surged whereas the X1 35 with the 6 speed sounds like it is akin to your 335d

Last edited by Farkled; 01-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM

Half and half?

So at this point, roughly half of respondents have a problem (11) and half don't.

Anyone care to speculate: Is this because half the cars have a problem and half don't, or is it because half the drivers are much pickier than the other half? Or, is it perhaps somehow related to driving style and the adaptive feature?

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 28I
I usually drive in Eco mode, so I figured it was just a function of that mode. I will have try it without the eco on and see if it is still an issue. But I will say, I am enjoying the 27 MPG I average per tank.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Quote:
So at this point, roughly half of respondents have a problem (11) and half don't.

Anyone care to speculate: Is this because half the cars have a problem and half don't, or is it because half the drivers are much pickier than the other half? Or, is it perhaps somehow related to driving style and the adaptive feature?

Perhaps some of those voting its fine have 35s which, in my experience, is different and does not have the same issue. It also seems that some find that there is less/no lag when the software is new or reset so perhaps it is an adaptive software issue
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
I have a x28i and I voted that its no different than any other vehicle (Audi A3). I hade a 2006 X3 and that had serious problems. If you slammed on the pedal it would jump then suddenly stop for half a second as if you slammed the breaks, then accelerate again. After multiple complaints and software upgrades it never got fixed.

I don't have anywhere near that problem with the X1. Even with the engine stopped, it starts and accelerates without any hesitation. I do notice that if I jam the pedal hard it takes a tenth of a second longer to accelerate (probably while it figure out what gear to use). But if I gradually press the pedal down it accelerates without hesitation. Maybe since i babied the car during the break in period its ok now, IDK. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
I am with 'wolfex' - I have a 28i sdrive and notice no real difference in lag time between it and my 2009 VW Tiguan (same 4 cyl turbo engine as the Audi A3). When learning to drive, my dad always told me to hesitate a second before taking off from a stop - don't remember the reasoning now, but I tend to ease into the accelerator press so that may be why I don't notice a significant lag time like others are talking about.

Last night after about 20 min stuck behind a vehicle going 20 mph under the speed limit with no opportunity to pass, a passing lane opened up at the base of a hill, he moved over and wham! I floored it and off we took like a rocket - woke the two teens in the back and made me laugh. Absolutely no lag there.

DeeDee
Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Voted 5 - had an X1 28i xdrive for a few weeks now, and this is driving me round the bend. But the worst of it is the dealer either does not know if the issue or is trying to dodge it by claiming that the car is normal and I need to drive for a few months before it becomes responsive.

If anyone has any suggestions on next steps, I'm all ears!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaynard View Post
Voted 5 - had an X1 28i xdrive for a few weeks now, and this is driving me round the bend. But the worst of it is the dealer either does not know if the issue or is trying to dodge it by claiming that the car is normal and I need to drive for a few months before it becomes responsive.

If anyone has any suggestions on next steps, I'm all ears!
Try the throttle adaptation reset provided here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=throttle

Then go into the dealership and ask them to reset the transmission adaptives.

Your experience will improve
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Try the throttle adaptation reset provided here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=throttle

Then go into the dealership and ask them to reset the transmission adaptives.

Your experience will improve
Thanks - my hesitation here is that the car is only a month old and the problem has been there since we picked it up. Will a reset really resolve it, or will we just be back to where we were 4 weeks ago?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Haven't had any real noticeable problems, however, it's Winter and I have not even floored it from a dead stop.if I had this problem and dealer could not correct it, I'd bring in all the time then file Lemon Law applicable in Illinois. I'd dump the car.

2014 X3 28i
2013 X1 x28i - retired
2006 Mustang GT Vert
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaynard View Post
Thanks - my hesitation here is that the car is only a month old and the problem has been there since we picked it up. Will a reset really resolve it, or will we just be back to where we were 4 weeks ago?
It will make a difference. Tell your SA that the car feels sluggish when shifting and they'll clear the tranny adaptives.

The throttle body reset takes all of 2 mins and can be repeated every few weeks yourself. No biggie
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM

Exclamation X-1 NOT the ultimate driving machine.

Here's my take. There was no doubt that my last BMW lived up to the moniker, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Step on the gas and that car moved!

But the X1's throttle lag makes it anything but. I can step floor the throttle of the X-1 release it and the car will not move. I have not driven any other car that can make that claim.
My girlfriend's 2002 Ford Taurus wagon is way more responsive to the throttle than this piece of junk. I am not exaggerating!

Worse yet I take to my dealer, Mainline BMW, they pretend that they can't "duplicate the condition". I'm going to take it to them again, sit with them, show them, and offer to bring the 2002 Ford Taurus in if they want to see what a real car does when one presses the accelorator.

Asside from being the antithesis of a "Driving Machine", this is dangerous is certain driving conditions. For instance if one is on a four lane highway and stuck in a lane that is stopped and one wants to change to the lane that is moving. Step on the gas and the car should respond WHEN you step on the gas, not a second or two later. Approaching vehicles traveling 70MPH can move 180 feet in just one second! That's enough to get one killed. I actually feel that BMW should recall these cars and fix this dangerous problem.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' man View Post
Here's my take. There was no doubt that my last BMW lived up to the moniker, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Step on the gas and that car moved!

But the X1's throttle lag makes it anything but. I can step floor the throttle of the X-1 release it and the car will not move. I have not driven any other car that can make that claim.
My girlfriend's 2002 Ford Taurus wagon is way more responsive to the throttle than this piece of junk. I am not exaggerating!

Worse yet I take to my dealer, Mainline BMW, they pretend that they can't "duplicate the condition". I'm going to take it to them again, sit with them, show them, and offer to bring the 2002 Ford Taurus in if they want to see what a real car does when one presses the accelorator.

Asside from being the antithesis of a "Driving Machine", this is dangerous is certain driving conditions. For instance if one is on a four lane highway and stuck in a lane that is stopped and one wants to change to the lane that is moving. Step on the gas and the car should respond WHEN you step on the gas, not a second or two later. Approaching vehicles traveling 70MPH can move 180 feet in just one second! That's enough to get one killed. I actually feel that BMW should recall these cars and fix this dangerous problem.
This was one of the reasons we ended up selling our X1. we replaced it with a used 2011 550 which has no lag at all.

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite
Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
Did you guys have the 28i? I have the 35i and have very little lag.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Did you guys have the 28i? I have the 35i and have very little lag.
28i M-sport

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite