Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
I have the whinning sound from the rear drivers side probably main fuel pump

What is the best pump to use for replacement? I know some makes and models operate much better with certain replacement brands like for example in this instance I would assume BOSCH would be the reccomended replacement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325Eblue View Post
What is the best pump to use for replacement? I know some makes and models operate much better with certain replacement brands like for example in this instance I would assume BOSCH would be the reccomended replacement
Walboro.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Certain Airtex pumps from Advance Auto are rebranded Walboro, btw.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
do the single pump conversion if you got the e. saves you time and money in the long run
Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 PM

alright great so maybe somebody has that part number for either pump? I do have an advanced auto near by but I am concerned about the installation? I was under there last night and the whinning only occurs while driving but when first starting the car or right after turning the car off after driving there is a sound like a thumping a light thumping sound from about the same location it sounds like pressurizing or de-pressurizing? not sure but I am concerned both pumps could be starting to fail? Is there advice on what to replace for preventative measures? The fuel pressure regulator? relays? both pumps? I am usualy handy with my own repairs but I saw some clamps before and after the external pump that look forien to me? Is there a special tool required for these clamps on the fuel lines? Thanks in advance here are some pictures of my new Girl!!! I bought this 1986 2 door 325 ES from a family member who is the original owner. the vehicle is at 168K on the clock it has not been driven in almost 2 years I changed the battery, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, the local shop changed the Vbelt on the water pump and alternator as well as the power steering pump belt. I treated the fuel with sea foam additive, lucas upper cylinder treatment, stp injector cleaner, and stp octane boost all on seperate 10 gallon treatments. It was not known how old the gas was at any rate I have driven the car over 600 miles with little symptoms so far so great!!!! Thanks again for any info on how to avoid any future problems I intend to make this a full time project and its now my daily driver AWESOME how cool it has only one small dent in over 27 years WOW!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM

pics YEAH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013320.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	362884   Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013321.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	362886   Click image for larger version

Name:	02182013322.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	362887  
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
livin large

there is a piece after the inline which is supposed to lessen the inline pump noise. little bell looking thing. take that out.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Yes I did see that I thought maybe it had a screen inside that was fine mesh maybe clogged? its a round disk shape almost correct?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
do the single pump conversion if you got the e. saves you time and money in the long run
Man I would love to do that but its almost golf season and my job is a ton of hours for the next few months , I could plan this project for summer during the slower time and I could ride the R1 everyday to work I should be back to 40 hour work weeks after about three months and I would then have time for a major project like that. It sounds very advantageous with one high output pump and a larger tank too! The whole idea was to have such an awesome hot rod coupe that I could part with my R1 quickly the family wants me to give up the to wheels
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325Eblue View Post
Man I would love to do that but its almost golf season and my job is a ton of hours for the next few months , I could plan this project for summer during the slower time and I could ride the R1 everyday to work I should be back to 40 hour work weeks after about three months and I would then have time for a major project like that. It sounds very advantageous with one high output pump and a larger tank too! The whole idea was to have such an awesome hot rod coupe that I could part with my R1 quickly the family wants me to give up the to wheels
its not that big of a job. pull the inline out and connect the two sides with a fuel hose and hose clamps. then pull intank pump out and replace it with the new pump. afternoon job if that. i can pull the intank pump and replace it within an hour now
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Great thanks for the positive comments I will jump on it and I should get WALBRO for both pumps inline and transfer? should I change the fuel pressure reg, or any relays while I am ordering stuff for this old girl? Thanks .>>S
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Anybody got a Bosh number for:
The low pressure high volume in-tank pump of the older 323
High pressure pump of the later 325
Would be most apreciated, as Bosch in Namibia....
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
Anybody got a Bosh number for:
The low pressure high volume in-tank pump of the older 323
High pressure pump of the later 325
Would be most apreciated, as Bosch in Namibia....
Part # 16 12 1 107 414 and GFP251.............at least thats what bavauto says

Quote:
I should get WALBRO for both pumps inline and transfer?
negative. if you go the walbro route, and get the 255lph pump, you only need 1.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Nick's Toys

Thanks Downhiller
I checked & it seems you have given me the numbers for the in-line frame mounted pump

I needed both numbers for the in-tank pumps:
low pressure high volume feed pump
High pressure main & only pump

I tried using Bavauto parts look up & failed miserably
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
Thanks Downhiller
I checked & it seems you have given me the numbers for the in-line frame mounted pump

I needed both numbers for the in-tank pumps:
low pressure high volume feed pump
High pressure main & only pump

I tried using Bavauto parts look up & failed miserably
get one that fits a 76 chevy vega. i did the swap it works and is alot cheaper. normally if you buy the bmw one its the whole damn thing and not just the pump.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
realOEM.com is the best place i have found to get part numbers, and even quicker if you know the last 7 digits of your baby's serial number off by heart

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Nick's Toys

Question Bosch pump numbers

Thanks guys
I had to google Chevy Vega to see what it looks like Never had them in Africa...

My Cars serial number is not recognised by the system, as it was generated in South Africa SA32360151
I pulled these 2 number some time ago:
Low-pressure high-volume in-tank fuel pump 1614 117 9415
High-pressure Low-volume frame mounted fuel pump 1614 117 9232
The High pressure main in-tank pump is pure guesswork, as I don't know which local BMW's had them in.

Ordering from the agents is a meaningless exerise in futility, apart from me having to supply the part numbers due to their incompetence...
I was looking at the aftermarket & since Bosch is well represented here I thought I try there. But without a Bosch part #

I hope you can understand my frustrations here.
I have returned to Namibia 20 years ago & know that oneself is responsible for everything & nothing is ever in stock
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
BMW Engineers

I've been working on BMW's since your 325E was new and in my experience your always better off going OEM ,paying the extra money if that's what it means and not trying to out smart the engineers who designed your car.Your fuel injection system wasn't designed for 255lph pump like a 325i and unless you going to completely redesign the system IE lines,injectors, filters,relays ,wiring, regulator and the pump plus anything I might have forgotten at some point it will give you problems.If you were building a race car I'd say go for it modify everything strip out anything you can and make it work to give you max power.Since it seems you want to drive this car I strongly recommend you fix the car the way it was designed.For the final horror story I sold a perfect running 325es to a kid about 5yrs ago after a year or so he decided it was to slow so after screwing with the fuel injection and pump and messing with the computer the caught on fire .Yes on FIRE and burnt up at least he got his wife and kids out of the car before it was engulfed in flames . Good luck with your car and try and have fun with it remember it's an old car and will need lots of love and attention .
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM

it should work, i have plugged in South African built E30s into that system before. can you post a picture of the serial on your firewall?

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Working?

It will work and might be OK for awhile but its not the same .IE: the fuel lines where not deigned to have an255lph pump, the line pressure can lead to an old line failing. causing leaks or or worst cause, a fire. It's just not worth the risk .Since you gain nothing in performance .Sorry about the spelling trying to write this on my phone and it a little hard to see .Just getting old I guess .

Last edited by toybuilder; 02-24-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM

it sounds to me you have already made up your mind then

E30 above Sold

Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 AM

the other reason

The other reason is E30's 2dr's in particular are becoming rare here if there not rust buckets or modified .They are already antiques in most states and hopefully restored versions will begin to go up in value as classic BMWs always do.Once you start changing things it's much more difficult to go back to the way it was .Because one one change tends to lead to an other an soon you have a modified car.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM

dont take it the wrong way, but you have gone from asking what is a better replacement, to stating you want the original

you are right though, well looked after E30s are starting to go up again, very early days at the moment though. but thats probably more to do with the fact all the ****ters have packed up and are no longer in circulation so the average price is climbing

E30 above Sold

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Nick's Toys

Post Vin Plate

Hi Andy

I have attached a photo of the Vin plate and Vin # on the body.
Hope you can figure this out

Name:	VinPlate.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	363705

Name:	VinBody.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	363706

As far as original parts go. Yes, by all means & have the car worked at the agents too
Sometimes though, I cannot see why I have to pay so much more for OEM
also you do get OEM quality (or better) on the aftermarket.
It is a search & you have to go by recommendations, but they are out there

I do not basterdise these old cars, but if I can replace 2 pumps on my 323 with a Bosch in tank pump for cheaper than OEM, I'll do it
Since I am considering running a Turbo in the future, then a HVLP in-tank feed pump to a small reservoir makes sense, to make sure the HPLV frame mounted pump never has to stress for fuel

Its horses for courses and of course one has to use ones nut
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 AM

I head and comp

If your really thinking about going to a turbo set up you should consider finding a 325i head injectors and ECU and running new fuel lines while everything is apart then a 255lph in tank pump is what you'll need and there are lots of choices out there though VDO, Walbro or Bosch are your best bets for longevity .

Last edited by toybuilder; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 AM.