Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Free BMW 540i

See the '1995 BMW 540i won't start' thread so you know the full story. I purchased a replacement car that I'll have in a couple of week so this one is no longer needed or wanted.

This car has a few major or minor issues as seen in the thread above.

Also the fog lights need replaced.

173k miles

Exterior - VERY nice condition

Interior - VERY nice condition

-brand new tires

-many other new parts (will provide list)

-6 disc CD changer in trunk (factory)

-freezing cold AC

FREE to a good home. You pick up and you can probably drive it home.

First come first served.

No PM"s please.

Will not part out.

Pics coming.

Best,

Rick in Ohio

Last edited by rv6rick; 02-08-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
This makes me sad. And jealous of the person getting a free 540i

Sent from Joe's Galaxy Tab 2 via BimmerApp

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Interesting ... so the first person to show up with a trailer can load it up and you will sign over the title? If so PM me with your location. I am in WV only one state away.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6rick View Post
See the '1995 BMW 540i won't start' thread so you know the full story. I purchased a replacement car that I'll have in a couple of week so this one is no longer needed or wanted.

This car has a few major or minor issues as seen in the thread above.

Also the fog lights need replaced.

173k miles

Exterior - VERY nice condition

Interior - VERY nice condition

-brand new tires

-many other new parts (will provide list)

-6 disc CD changer in trunk (factory)

-freezing cold AC

FREE to a good home. You pick up and you can probably drive it home.

First come first served.

No PM"s please.

Will not part out.

Pics coming.

Best,

Rick in Ohio
Don't get emotional. You are Bimmer Hero. You will fix this car. You did it before and you will do it again. You just need to figure out what you missed, just like the first time.

This post basically proves my point. You are stressed up and missing something. That's all I can say because I'm not infront of the car. But you are.

Forums are filled with enthusiasts. Anyone who drives up to you is a scavenger, period.

Last edited by samsonnyc; 02-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Hey, I am in Dayton, if you want to get rid of the car I am happy to take it off your hands.

Andy
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i M52 1996
OP, please don't give up. You are almost telling everyone exactly what is wrong with the car, but then you want to give her away ? Wiring harness wiring harness !
But if you want to let go, I understand. I had a major problem with my old E34. I almost did not make it home after going to pick it up. Lucky the car died right outside my house. My first trip in my new old BMW. I know the feeling.
You have new tyres and a new crankshaft sensor. Actually more new things. Can I offer you $500 for this car ? I would like to offer more but I think a new radiator is needed.
I can send you 50% now as a non refundable deposit.
I will come to America by August for a long holiday with my gf. Others may fear to fly a few states, I will fly across continents. Please keep the car safe for me? I will take it to an indy for some repair, then I will drive across some states on a holiday. I will come back through Ohio on my way back. I can sell it back to you for $500 + cost of repair with invoice to prove, if you are interested. You can test drive first. Will sign a contract to offer the car back to you before I buy.

You'll get pictures of my roadtrip along the way with the car in them to make you crazy. I'm sure you will buy her back. It will save me very big bucks in the cost of a rental, and 540i is my dream. Actually my dream is the E38 750il but that's another story. If you don't buy it back, I will put it on craigslist for a cheap price and sell it within 5 minutes, with pickup at the airport. I will tell 4 buyers to show up at the airport for a spot deal, and the 3 guys I don't sell the car to will get $100 petrol immediately.

One more thing. Can you do a leakdown test on your engine ? Want to rule out Nikasil problem.

Nevermind, its fine. I will take your engine no problemos.

We are eagles, not vultures. I am your friend. Please pm me.

Last edited by Mamij; 02-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:24 AM
The Annoying One

Mein Auto: E36 325i
As someone who travels a lot, sell it to Mamij. It will save him a lot of hassle and money and he will love his trip even more. Then you can sell the car for a lot when he is done because it will be fixed. Just buy a cheap car cover, and throw it on until August when he buys it.
  • 1986 BMW 325i 5-Speed Manual (Approximately 270,000 Miles) (Sold)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
What did you get as a replacement?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto:
I'll take that deal. Getting running and let mamij take for holiday in August. Win win
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Wrong place, right time!!
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Sorry for the late reply.....super busy at Church and was waiting for parts to come in for the car. See the 'car won't start thread for the latest on the 'running condition'.

Thank you for the interested in this klunker.....er....uh.....I mean.....uh....in this nice car .

I've had many inquiries on the car and it's pretty much spoken for. I can't wait till this thing leaves my property and I don't have to look at it anymore. I am so frustrated it's not funny. It will run like a Top Gun fighter then the CEL comes on and it just goes downhill. Clear the codes and she is ready for the Indy 500 until the CEL comes back on then she's ready for the salvage yard....one big circle .

Anyway....I've got a long list of folks that wanted the car so I'm just going in order until it's gone....with this much interest I figure it will be out of my hair. I'm still willing to look at while it's in the garage but I'm done tearing stuff apart after I just put it all back together with some MORE new parts.

My guess is this thing is going to somewhere between 'nothing' and $20 bucks to fix.....I just don't know what it is. What a shame because it really was a nice car that ran down the road as fast as you wanted it to!

Rick in Ohio
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 530i manual
I would like to take the intake manifold, throttle body, and MAF sensor off your hands if that's all good with you

Sent from my KFTT using Bimmer App
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM

Hallelujah

Well the title says it all

The car is fixed and it's running like a top. Drove it about 15 miles with NO ISSUES. Idles OK and it takes off like it used to in the old days. Will run right up to about 135mph with no trouble . The on board computer now says it's getting right at 24mpg on flat ground at 60mph . That was an average on a 3 mile stretch and I'm being very conservative.

So, I'm actually going to DRIVE the car to the shop tomorrow....first time back on the road since all the problems started on January the 1st .

One little issue is that last night I verified that the air intake sensor is bad, has 5 volts but the resistance is nil across the sensor. Not effecting how it runs in an obvious way but I'll replace it just the same.

Car will still be leaving as I'll have the replacement in a couple/three weeks but at least the new owner won't have to pay for a tow truck . Oh yea...someone asked a while back and I forgot to say that the replacement is a little 2010 Ford Focus with only 50 miles on it. It was damaged during a test drive and I purchased it and am having it repaired. Still has the window stickers on it, hopefully that will serve me well .

Sending an email now to try to return the new DME.

Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it. You guys are wonderful !

As someone said about 5 pages ago....this was the epic thread of all time. Hopefully many will learn from my highs and lows and trials and errors .

Rick in Ohio

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.....super busy at Church and was waiting for parts to come in for the car. See the 'car won't start thread for the latest on the 'running condition'.

Thank you for the interested in this klunker.....er....uh.....I mean.....uh....in this nice car .

I've had many inquiries on the car and it's pretty much spoken for. I can't wait till this thing leaves my property and I don't have to look at it anymore. I am so frustrated it's not funny. It will run like a Top Gun fighter then the CEL comes on and it just goes downhill. Clear the codes and she is ready for the Indy 500 until the CEL comes back on then she's ready for the salvage yard....one big circle .

Anyway....I've got a long list of folks that wanted the car so I'm just going in order until it's gone....with this much interest I figure it will be out of my hair. I'm still willing to look at while it's in the garage but I'm done tearing stuff apart after I just put it all back together with some MORE new parts.

My guess is this thing is going to somewhere between 'nothing' and $20 bucks to fix.....I just don't know what it is. What a shame because it really was a nice car that ran down the road as fast as you wanted it to!

Rick in Ohio

Last edited by rv6rick; 02-13-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
sucks i missed this one i woulda been there the same day with a tow truck.

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
So who was the lucky guy to get the car?

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Rick in Ohio
Why do you feel its going to be a cheap fix ? You have narrowed it down to something ? If that's the case, then please fix it ! Keep going !
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Is it still available? I'll be there tomorrow...

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44 View Post
Is it still available? I'll be there tomorrow...

I will pay you $150 to go down and spend a few hours with Rick to help him fix his car. If you have some experience with bimmer DIY. Why don't you do that instead, since you live 1 day away? Why take advantage of his problems ?
I'm surprised that no one started a "lets go to Rick's place and help him fix his car" thread. I would have myself instead of making an offer, but I live in Europe. I can only offer to buy his car practically.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
Ohh I had no clue. I just thought he was giving it away I didn't read the whole thing

Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto:
This stinks more than 3 day old fish and I'm calling foul on Rick from Ohio.
He's giving Buckeye's a bad name.
I'm the nicest guy in the world but Rick has a thread with 270+ posts about a car he can't fix. Then he starts another one saying first guy here can have it. Multiple people from Ohio to Texas to Europe say we'll be there to pick it up. And nothing. Then the car fixes itself and he won't provide an explanation to a forum that lived this with him for weeks.

Go drive your Ford and leave us alone. 92fatboy Out.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 08 G37,94 530i,11 328iT
not reading the entirety of the other thread. I would say this is officially fvcked up.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92fatboy View Post
I'm the nicest guy in the world but Rick has a thread with 270+ posts about a car he can't fix. Then he starts another one saying first guy here can have it. Multiple people from Ohio to Texas to Europe say we'll be there to pick it up. And nothing. Then the car fixes itself and he won't provide an explanation to a forum that lived this with him for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead View Post
not reading the entirety of the other thread. I would say this is officially fvcked up.
Have neither of you ever reached the point of frustration at something that you just wanted to throw your hands up in despair and give up? If not, then count yourselves blessed.

That is what Rick went thorough. I have a million times more respect for Rick and what he went through and the efforts to get his car running (despite some horrible advice from some members here) than I do for you two to come here and make such judgmental remarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-16-2013, 04:06 PM

You gotta be kidding right ???

Grab a pop and go read this entire thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...33#post7384833

When you're done please come back and offer your thoughts with your new knowledge and background.

You'll also find out that the car.....didn't ......'fix itself' .

My bimmer should be gone in a few weeks after my new car is ready. The new owner was willing to take it 'as is' with FULL DISCLOSURE which is why he was selected. Plus he lives nearby. The fact that I now have it running (still has a bad MAF and CEL is on) just makes life good for him AND makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. I can live with that and I really hope you can do. I really don't want to lose any sleep tonight or any other night and I WILL feel better knowing that I have your blessing .

There are some really good folks here that bent over backwards to help me. No, we didn't get everything right but there is a blessing in that as well. I learned a LOT about the car...but more importantly I learned a lot about myself.

And YES.....I did finally throw in the towel and I'm still happy with that decision. I was getting a different car anyway so the Bimmer's days were numbered dead or alive. I'm glad that it's still alive. Please be happy for me . Thanks.....I knew you could .

Rick in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92fatboy View Post

Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 91 525i
Rick I'm happy to hear that you got it running but you never mentioned what you had to do to achieve that. I'm very curious what actually was the problem, why would it not run ?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:11 PM

The car had 2 cold starts in a row in very cold temps. On the first start the was moved out of the garage to outside so it only ran for about 10 seconds or less. The next start was a onoit 10 hours later when it was moved back into the garage. Same as before it only ran for a out 10 seconds. I came back a week later and it would only crank over without starting. It turned out that the 2 short starts in cold weather wiped the oil off of the piston rings. Lots of fuel and never really got the oil pressure up. So the engine had no compression.

Hope that helps.

Rick in Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLDgREY525 View Post
Rick I'm happy to hear that you got it running but you never mentioned what you had to do to achieve that. I'm very curious what actually was the problem, why would it not run ?