Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The 5-series already have that, you don't need to wait for the LCI to get it. My 2013 550 has it.

When I pass a speed limit sign, it takes about .5 second to read & display. Amazing!
My old $79 Garmin from 5 years ago has speed limits in its maps database.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Every car since the model T comes standard with this feature, its called a human driver with a functioning set of eyes, and brain :P

Some of these tech toys, are nerdtastic, but really pointless if you are a careful driver.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Don't think I will be a fan of Cloud-based, if information flows both ways. What is going to prevent BMW from uploading real time information from my vehicle? Like having the world's biggest red light camera or speed camera watching over me from the Cloud?

And imagine what the impact would be on the tuning industry. Forget about piggy backs, or erasing your tracks before you go in for service. Big Brother is watching you 24/7, and he knows what boost you are running in real time.

Late on a lease payment? How about BMWFS telling the cloud to put you into limp home mode. Post something derogatory about the brand on a forum? Yikes, you are really screwed.

How about if BMW needs to raise its CAFE standards, and "pushes" you into Eco Pro mode?

Think bots are bad? How about if the Cloud acts like one big tracking cookie, and the car tells it where you buy gas, groceries, fast food, etc. so advertisers can REALLY target you in real time. Car parked but the suspension rocking? How about if the Cloud turns on the microphone and records the romantic interlude you are having with your girlfriend, boyfriend, or streetwalker?

Nope. No Cloud in my car, thank you.
Spoken like a true Quack!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Every car since the model T comes standard with this feature, its called a human driver with a functioning set of eyes, and brain :P

Some of these tech toys, are nerdtastic, but really pointless if you are a careful driver.
Some states do a really, really poor job of posting limits. I'm lookin at you, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Even though the routing is crap, iDrive is near the top with Audi MMI up there too.
I guess it depends upon how one uses their Nav system. I myslef would not rate a Nav system where "the routing is crap" "near the top."

The BMW nav screen display is excellent, but if it routes you to dead ends and tells you to turn when there is no road to turn onto for a couple of miles either way (as the BMW Nav system has done to me in rural Utah), I personally can not rate it as "near the top."

OTOH, if you only use it as a map display and do not use the routing or POI features, it's OK, even though it does, on occasion, show me a street as being continuous, only to find myself at a dead end at a ravine, where there may have been a bridge 10-20 years ago or more, but which no longer shows any trace of a bridge to the road on the other side (as it did in Blaine MN last June when going to a wedding).

But I think some of the difference in opinions is due to different driving areas -- the BMW Nav database seems to be much better in dense Urban areas on the East and West coast, than in rural areas in the Midwest and West.

Last edited by Penguin; 02-23-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
But I think some of the difference in opinions is due to different driving areas -- the BMW Nav database seems to be much better in dense Urban areas on the East and West coast, than in rural areas in the Midwest and West.
My father complained heavily about how "it was inaccurate" when he drove to NYC.

I have never found serious fault with it in Virginia, NC, or SC, although it did take us down the wrong ramp in Asheville once (bad mark for TeleAtlas on this).

Screenshot of the sat nav interface on my phone, with the correct speed limit designation It doesn't chime unless I exceed the posted limit >20km/h for speeds over 80km/h, >10km/h under 80km/h. It'll do traffic, road signs, and lane guidance as well automatically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000006.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	363678  

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 02-24-2013 at 06:18 PM.