Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw z4
vanos valve repair

hello im new to this forum i would like to ask a few questions regarding the vanos valve. i have a 2005 z4 with approx 79,000 miles. i have noticed that the car is not as quick as when i first purchased it 3years ago. i was thinking about repairing the vanos o-rings as precautionary now my main question is on this perticular model do i have to set the timing? and do i have to lock down the cams? i have noticed on you tube that they just pull the valve out. is it this straight forward ? thanks
best regards Manuel
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
There is a section dedicated to your car, move your question there. This section is for E89 Z4, starting with MY 2009.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny380sl View Post
hello im new to this forum i would like to ask a few questions regarding the vanos valve. i have a 2005 z4 with approx 79,000 miles. i have noticed that the car is not as quick as when i first purchased it 3years ago. i was thinking about repairing the vanos o-rings as precautionary now my main question is on this perticular model do i have to set the timing? and do i have to lock down the cams? i have noticed on you tube that they just pull the valve out. is it this straight forward ? thanks
best regards Manuel
Rebuilding the Vanos (O rings) requires removal of the valve cover. If you replace the seals and all associated geaskets yourself it is about a 4-6 hour job @ about $120 in parts or you can buy a rebuild Vanos assy & associated gaskets @ $1500. I've done this on my wifes' & son's 3 series E46 with M54 powerplants. Here's a couple of links that have some great infor. Might as well replace the plugs while you have the top end opened up and upper the O2 sensors as well.

http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html

http://drvanos.com/index.php?option=...&id=5&Itemid=6

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O

Last edited by HerrK; 02-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.