Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 BMW Z3
Looking for a little bit of noise

So i have a 96 1.9, and i am just looking to make it sound a little nicer. What do you guys suggest i look into? (and yes i know i am not going to be getting power gains with this engine, but that is not what i am after) I am just looking to give my car a little more character .
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
The Supersprint exhaust makes a complex and varied sound depending on what the motor is doing, not too loud and no droning. I like mine a lot.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...intonZ319L.jpg

It is a bit pricey. I got mine for $650 from an eBay vendor who no longer carries it, but see them here for $780:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-38...Q3znAod0VMAWg&

Here's a clip of someone else's, in a thread you started when you were looking last November. He says "plenty loud" but that's only under full throttle:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...57&postcount=6

Last edited by vintage42; 02-22-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Go to a performance muffler shop and have a performance muffler installed. Magnaflow makes a variety of universal replacement mufflers with either single or dual tips that a competent installer can put on in about 30 minutes.
I did this some time ago and have never looked back except to hear that glorious engine sound. My cost was under $200 last year.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02muffler.asp
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
Go to a performance muffler shop and have a performance muffler installed. Magnaflow makes a variety of universal replacement mufflers with either single or dual tips that a competent installer can put on in about 30 minutes.
I did this some time ago and have never looked back except to hear that glorious engine sound. My cost was under $200 last year.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02muffler.asp
Here's a thread about the Magnaflow on a 1.9L
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=135463
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM

quick question, did you have to shave the bumper at all to fit the dual tips, or did they jut fit in?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortiz96 View Post
quick question, did you have to shave the bumper at all to fit the dual tips, or did they jut fit in?
Not sure if that is addressed to the Supersprint or Magnaflow dual tip muffler.
Here is my Supersprint again:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...intonZ319L.jpg

In my case, the tips fitted in the bumper opening, but the muffler did not hang centered in the bumper opening -- it touched the right side. I took off the two rubber muffler hangers and the muffler did not shift, meaning that the cause of the touching was forward in the front hanger and the pipe joint, or in the actual design or manufacture of the rear hanger bars.

So I cut up an extra rubber hanger to make a rubber spacer washer which I installed on the inside of the right rear rubber hanger, and that pushed the muffler 3/8" to the left, centering it perfectly. It has remained stable for the past 1500 miles.

I don't know if the dual tip Magnaflow fits the bumper opening. The tips must fit with 3/8" clearance on each side, because they vibrate and move, especially under torque. When you rev the engine, or under acceleration or at high speed, the engine leans over in its mounts a tiny amount, and twists the pipe which moves the muffler tip about 1/4" to one side.

Also, the bumper is not easy to "shave" if you have to do that. The plastic turns inward about 1/2" so any shave begins with a saw cut to remove that. And then the shaving is going to leave an odd if not irregular edge. It does not seem worthwhile to ruin an expensive bumper to install an exhaust that does not fit.

Last edited by vintage42; 02-24-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortiz96 View Post
In my case, I opted for the single tip solution, didn't know at the time they had a dual tip option. In any case, I am happy with the look and sound of the single tip I have now.

I suppose I could go back and have the guy make a dual tip, something that could fit in the OEM opening. I think there is plenty of room left under there now to do just about anything. I have thought about it now and again, but to be honest it hasn't been an issue for me and doubt it will be.