Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Do You Let the Dealership Wash Your Car(s)?

Quick poll purely out of curiosity. I let the dealership do their usual "works" the first two times I brought my car in. However, when I had to bring it in for the third time in one month last week I decided to implement a hands-off (as much as possible) policy.

I know I'm paranoid, OCD, ridiculous, and about half a dozen other similar adjectives, but I just had to put an end to it. After trip #2 I discovered a small dent in my driver's side door sill finisher. Also, I decided I just can't let them use their machine on my precious, delicate Carbon Black. I go through great lengths to keep debris off the paint and out if my microfiber glove when washing the car to prevent microabrasions. I just imagine those floppy rags holding onto dirt from the filthy, soccer mom X5 that went through before it. Three times in a year would be one thing, but going through their wash three times in a month is going to ruin my nearly perfect paint pretty fast.

To relay the message, I printed a double-sided sign (approximately 5" x 7") that says something along the lines of "Please do not wash or clean this car, inside or out." I attached some string to allow it to hang over the rear-view mirror, and that seemed to work. I'll post a pic of my creation when I get home - I'm visiting Mickey in Orlando right now

My car looked disgusting after spending a week with them, but I suppose it's better than the alternative of permanent scratches. I figured I'd keep them out of the interior as well to help prevent further door sill damage, mistreatment of the Nappa, or any other destructive activity. I know they have to get in and out some, but I've seen the way some of the service guys enter and exit vehicles in the bay.

I don't like being "that guy," but damage is damage, no matter how small, and I know I'll be stuck with anything short of them running my car into a wall.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Ads by Google
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 650i M-Sport Coupe
No, no and hell no. IMO, it should be against the law for a dealership to wash a car. It took me 5+ applications of Zaino on my "showroom" Z06 to get all the swirls out. Fortunately, the F13 I bought had only been on the floor for a couple weeks.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I'm no where near to being OCD on this topic, so any car wash is a good car wash as far as I'm concerned. I put my 6er through a touch car wash with only about a hundred miles on the odometer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carwash.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	363584  

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jettie1767 Send a message via Yahoo to jettie1767 Send a message via Skype™ to jettie1767
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW M6
My dealer's car wash is ok. Their detailer is horrendous. So, I let them wash the car when I take it in for service. I can't say the same thing for my Land Rover dealer. I never let them do any washing or wiping down to my Range Rover everytime I go in.

'14 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Tanzanite Blue
'14 Porsche Boxster Carrera White
'13 BMW X3 Space Gray
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
My dealer does a good job, even on black and carbon black. They offer free washes at anytime and if I'm driving by and have 30 minutes I'll have them wash the cars.

20+ years at the same dealer and no (wash) issues.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'm no where near to being OCD on this topic, so any car wash is a good car wash as far as I'm concerned. I put my 6er through a touch car wash with only about a hundred miles on the odometer.
The German car washes are pretty damn good aren't they

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
i'm no where near to being ocd on this topic, so any car wash is a good car wash as far as i'm concerned. I put my 6er through a touch car wash with only about a hundred miles on the odometer.
+1

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
The German car washes are pretty damn good aren't they
The wash was pretty good, but the procedure is a bit different. Pay for the wash, drive in, get out of the car and the wash, start the wash, and stand outside while waiting for the wash to finish.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi, 2012 raptor
I let my dealer wash the first time in... Bad mistake, picked up my wifes 335 and RF wheel was scratched bad car was only a month old. They replaced the wheel.