Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Blue Beemers

Mein Auto: BMW X3 & BMW 530i
BMW Door Seals & adding extra weatherstrip

Ok, so here is the deal, I was very concerned by about our 06 X3 having such loud cabin noise from exterior wind, road and or engine noise and the occasional seal squeals. So I was suggested by one of my mechanic friends to use 1z rubber care. Supposedly it was going to quiet the squeaks and create a better seal to cause less cabin noise and squeaks.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...m_campaign=CSE

However, after I applied it to the seals, and it rained the next couple of days. Then I had a bad surprise the next day. Both my front passenger and rear carpets were soaked with water.
So I wiped off the 1z rubber care (which sucks by the way) and the next few days of rain there was no leakage carpets dry as a bone. Also I had not issues previously with any leakage before using 1z.

So my issue is still the loud cabin noise. Has anyone ever applied any extra weatherstripping to their BMW doors to decrease road, wind or engine noise. Such as the rubber foam 3/8in weatherstripping. I don't know if you anyone has noticed but the x3 door and rear trunk have big gaps which allow in a lot of wind and road noise.

Any professional advice will be helpful, sorry for the long write up, but I haven't seen any write up for adding extra weatherstripping to BMW doors.

Thanks guys.
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Are you thinking the 1z caused the water to come in? It seems to be pretty highly reviewed. What issues did you have with it?

I just got some for Christmas and have yet to apply it...

Anyone else use 1z?
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
Anyone else use 1z?
Yes, that's one particular brand of the much sought-after Gummi Pflege.

Have used that one many times, mostly for the window guides and seals.

Can't see how it could have caused a door seal to let rain water in.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Blue Beemers

I like you all, I also agreed on the past good reviews on the 1z product. That's one of the reasons I even thought to use it on our BMW's. However, after I applied it, it seemed to cause the seals to become very slippery and thus causing lots of water to come into the cabin. I was very surprised by this as well.

Amazingly, after removing the product from the seals I have had not any problems at with water leaks even after several rain storms.

The one thing I am battling as many others is a loud cabin noise. Has anybody tried to add extra sealing or weatherstrip to increase the noise barrier in the cabin???

Last edited by Jbanks; 01-08-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Blue Beemers

HELLOOOOO....Come on, I can't be the only one here with a 06 X3 which has a lot of wind and road noise present??!! Anyone concerned to make a difference in noise level, or has anyone tried anything else extra weatherstrip, ect...???
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3-current 2002 S500
road noise isnt really a problem for me, sometimes it might seem loud but take a ride in a toyota of some sort and you will appreciate the road noise level in your BMW, i went for a ride in my sisters 2011 toyotoa corolla and the road noise was horrible, same in a nissan my friend has, as soon as i got into my BMW it was like sweet harmony lol but the only real solution i could think of which my uncle did with his work van would be to get some boat insulation, i forgot the exact name, all i know is that they use it to line the engine compartment walls so you dont hear too much of the engine....and this stuff is amazing, driving in his van is like driving in my old mercedess s500 or my grandpas new s600....so anyway get the boat insulation and open up your doors and take the panel off like if you were to take out the speakers....makesure you measure and ccut around the speaker and air back and leave room for the door lock....glue the insulation to the panel or the door which ever would not interfere with any components and there ya go.....best solution.....i will get you an exact name for the stuff soon....sorry i know this is wordy but it will help, you can probably even line some of the engine compartment with it, just dont let it near anything too hot, its probable flammable
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanks View Post
HELLOOOOO....Come on, I can't be the only one here with a 06 X3 which has a lot of wind and road noise present??!! Anyone concerned to make a difference in noise level, or has anyone tried anything else extra weatherstrip, ect...???
The best thing I've found for rubber is Meguiar's M6424. As for wind and road noise my X3 is pretty quiet. Do your doors have the rubber strips along the bottom? Item number 9

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...57&hg=51&fg=10
Old 02-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Blue Beemers

tire rant then windnoise issue

Ok, so I have some really great news. I changed my tires which were BFGoodrichg-Force T/A KDW 2. These tires btw are the worst tires I have even owned. They may look all great, sporty and tough, but they SUuCKKK, sooo loud. Anyway I switched to Conti extreme contact DWS which I also have a set on my E60 and they are awesome. I should have switched a lot sooner.

Now however, I still have hear some wind noise. I will check the #9 plastic seal earlier mentioned, thanks also. I don't know, do you all have any wind noise issue as well?

On the plus side the road rash noise is going. Now just have to solve the wind noise issue and it will be golden. Thanks to all that have posted their comments thus far btw.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Have you checked the rubber exterior seal around your sunroof? Mine started to pull up at the corners causing a lot of wind noise. I reattached them and all is quiet again.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Blue Beemers

Hi MLUKAS 161, thanks for you post. I did check the sunroof seal it seems to be in ok condition. However could you share how you fixed your problem?

I clearly notice with the wind noise is coming exactly from the the driver side door... some where?? I did check the seal on number 9 and it is there in place and in good condition. Don't know when I have time I'm going to use masking tape and tape the whole door and see if I still hear noise on the road. Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI WAGON
dude, spend 100$ and buy a new door seal.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
quattro

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanks View Post
Ok, so here is the deal, I was very concerned by about our 06 X3 having such loud cabin noise from exterior wind, road and or engine noise and the occasional seal squeals. So I was suggested by one of my mechanic friends to use 1z rubber care. Supposedly it was going to quiet the squeaks and create a better seal to cause less cabin noise and squeaks.
Not to question your wherewithal or diligence, JBanks, but is there any chance the instructions included removing ecess 1z off after some period of time?