Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
2007 X3 possible purchase-reluctant

The 2007 we are looking at (from a BMW dealer, Cert Pre Owned until July 2013) has only 42000 miles and a service record long as my arm. In 2010, at around 20000 miles it had problems with everything from sheared bolts, to the transmission. Valves, hoses, software, head gasket...

Drives mostly like a dream. Only problem was trans searching when I accelerated from a stop down a hill into traffic, and a thump thump when I hit the brake after the downhill surge.

Can I believe the bugs have been worked out? Truly, if I was looking at that record with a Ford, no way would I consider it. But the engine is nice (3.o l) and it looks almost new.
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 OSi 3.0 AT
I absolutely love my 2007 X3, but with this many service records and warranty expiring in five months, I'd walk unless the price is exceptionally attractive. It's impossible to predict if this is a good buy or not from the internet I'd at least have someone do a pre-purchase inspection on it to help hedge your bet.

It's not hard to find a new looking X3 most are in very excellent exterior condition and the design is still up to date.

Don't worry, there are others out there and I have nothing but good things to say about mine at 80k.

Mike
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Read the transmission sticky....if its an 07 and an auto walk very far away....that repair history fits right into the sticky story...

There are some solid 07 and 08s out there (esp MT), but the safest bets for post lci refresh are the 2009 or 2010 models. I have an 09 with 110k...bought new...and has been extremely reliable with no tranny issues.

Last edited by x3brian; 02-19-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Problem children tend to remain problematic -- this is not the car for you. Unless you enjoy spending time at the dealer -- unusual but possible if there is a smoking hot receptionist or something -- avoid this one. Don't get me wrong, the X3 will have problems, but they don't start this early. Read the sticky and be informed. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
See if they will throw in extended warranty to 7 years and 100,000 miles.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Thank you for the helpful replies. After spending a couple hours at the dealership, I am convinced part of being a BMW owner is lengthly stretches of coffee sipping and TV watching in waiting rooms. Not my idea of a good time. I read the stickies and did numerous searches. I also called the best indy shop in town that advised me against it, but said if we HAD to buy it to bring it to them first for PPI. I am grateful I live in a city where BMW mechanics are plentiful.
The driving experience of husband's Z4 has made me hungry for my own BMW, but I can be patient.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Kat, smart move. Like I said though, my 09 has been solid as a rock and I plan in getting 300k out of her. Heck my front brake pads last 100k miles.

Keep the search going...the x3 is a great car, you just need to find the right one!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Depends which side of the fence you're standing on and looking over.

I just checked my service records and I estimate I had about $7,000 of warranty work on my X3 between when I bought it at 25K miles and when the OEM warranty expired at about 42K miles (4 years).

To me, that means that I had the benefit of a lengthy "shakedown cruise" and I've had relatively smooth sailing since. On the other hand, if I were buying the car and looking at that service record, I'd regard it with skepticism.

If you like that particular X3 and it's priced well, I think it's worth spending $150 or so for the PPI with special attention to the AT.

Also, I'm curious whether the dealer CPO'd it now? Or whether it was CPO'd a long time ago and they're reselling it (which I didn't think was permisssible, but maybe I'm wrong.) CPO is usually at least a minimal vote of confidence in the vehicle, so I'd like to know when that vote was taken.

Also, I agree with x3emist's suggestion about getting an extended warranty. My dealer didn't know about this, but I did confirm with Daniel Dutton at Pacific BMW that I could get a Powertrain Plus warranty after my CPO expired. So that would be BMW warranty #3 (OEM, CPO, Powertrain +)

Last thought, patience is good, if you don't follow up on this one, keep looking, the right X3 will show up. Good cars, worth waiting to find the right one!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM

After a rather frustrating phone call and IM follow-up, the SUV has the balance of the original warranty. I have until July to shake out the bugs. It is overpriced according to the current values of KBB, NADA, etc. But the low mileage is what hikes the price $3000 more than I want to pay.

I am spoiled with 2 vehicles that have been free of problems (and with regular maintenance, great utility cars). The drive-feel of BMW is great, but for that much money I want reliability. I am a stickler for reliable vehicles.

The dealer is starting to act oddly, so I will definitely look elsewhere. Finance guy held my current car's keys 5 mins after I asked for them, once we confirmed I was not buying that car at that price. I watched him and the salesman chat for that time, with the keys on the desk.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish1121 View Post
The drive-feel of BMW is great, but for that much money I want reliability. I am a stickler for reliable vehicles.
An X3 can be a surprisingly reliable vehicle - but that '07 is clearly a vehicle that previous owner(s) gave up on for a reason.
They probably accepted less than $10K just to be rid of it.

Sounds like they had the engine mounts break and a chain of damage from that.
The reason for the head gasket replacement would be just as concerning as the A/T risk.
Could be a rear differential problem causing the thump as well.

Not worth it at any price even with a complimentary extended warranty for another 5 years if you value your time and don't want to be always be trying to get things fixed.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Kat, your experience with the keys is an old ploy. I always take a single car key (the spare) when going to the dealer for a trade in/offer. I keep "my" keys in my pocket and if they start to look like its game playing time -- I just get in and start to drive off, telling them they can mail my key to me. Amazing how quickly that key comes out of the office!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Run and

You are smart listening to that voice in your head. To many issues and potential problems. Keep in mind that BMW's do tend to be a little more maintenance hungry if you are going to keep them in top shape.

You are wise to not get a burr under your saddle and come here seeking support in making a decision you are not comfortable with like so many others I see who come for that reason. Don't get in a hurry and you will find one that is right for you. Don't forget to look for CPO vehicle direct from an owner. Use autotrader.com, I did and got a 2 owner CPO from a guy who took real good care of it and was one of those people who trade cars every couple years for the sake of doing so. A few issues had already been dealt with and I had warranty protection. Worked out real well for us. Also, you can find private vehicles where the owner purchased an extended warranty which is even better plus you don't have to deal with a salesperson which to me is the worst experience in the world. Keep an eye in the Roundel magazine. Not many X3's show up in the classified but often these vehicles are owned by BMW fanatics and have been very well cared for.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Kat, your experience with the keys is an old ploy. I always take a single car key (the spare) when going to the dealer for a trade in/offer. I keep "my" keys in my pocket and if they start to look like its game playing time -- I just get in and start to drive off, telling them they can mail my key to me. Amazing how quickly that key comes out of the office!
That is a good idea. I took a single key, but no spare. I won't go to that dealer again, anyway.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
You are smart listening to that voice in your head. To many issues and potential problems. Keep in mind that BMW's do tend to be a little more maintenance hungry if you are going to keep them in top shape.

You are wise to not get a burr under your saddle and come here seeking support in making a decision you are not comfortable with like so many others I see who come for that reason. Don't get in a hurry and you will find one that is right for you. Don't forget to look for CPO vehicle direct from an owner. Use autotrader.com, I did and got a 2 owner CPO from a guy who took real good care of it and was one of those people who trade cars every couple years for the sake of doing so. A few issues had already been dealt with and I had warranty protection. Worked out real well for us. Also, you can find private vehicles where the owner purchased an extended warranty which is even better plus you don't have to deal with a salesperson which to me is the worst experience in the world. Keep an eye in the Roundel magazine. Not many X3's show up in the classified but often these vehicles are owned by BMW fanatics and have been very well cared for.
Thank you for the support. When I get an itch, I just go out and look at my husband's lovely Z4. If I did not have a perfectly good Vibe, I would be buying one of those myself.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Follow up: It took only 48 hours for a NADA "outstanding" 2006 X3 to become available at a non-BMW dealer. I bought my 2008 Honda from them a couple years ago and was pleased with the transaction then. The salesman called the minute the car came out of the pre-sale shop. I did my research on possible problems and issues, husband did all the legwork on values and prices. We spent 3 hours going over it with a fine tooth comb in the dealer's shop, along with a thorough test drive. We slept on it, and did a trade today, coming within $17 of my target car payment. Accomplished in 2 hours.

71XXX miles with a barely used interior, good Carfax, and the ski package was still in the original plastic bag in the wheel well!

The moral of this story is: do your homework (repeat, read, read, read about what you want), be realistic about your car's worth (if trading in), decide what your sticking points are, and find a decent dealer. I was polite but I asked tough questions and expected answers. I was unafraid to walk away. My husband had the numbers from KBB, NADA and Edmunds for the trade in and what we were buying, and we had financing lined up.

The 2006 X3 is a winner and I am glad I waited.

Thanks to all who helped me with this.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
quattro

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Finance guy held my current car's keys 5 mins after I asked for them, once we confirmed I was not buying that car at that price. I watched him and the salesman chat for that time, with the keys on the desk.
Gosh, I might have walked right into the office and said, "I'm recording this conversation, I asked for my keys five minutes ago, and I need to leave, NOW, thank you very much." [/QUOTE]
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
quattro

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Follow up: It took only 48 hours for a NADA "outstanding" 2006 X3 to become available at a non-BMW dealer. I bought my 2008 Honda from them a couple years ago and was pleased with the transaction then. The salesman called the minute the car came out of the pre-sale shop.
Please, please, please tell us you forgot to inform us of your having a PPI performed....
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM

Ppi

Am taking it in to a top Indy Bimmer place in town tomorrow. We have 30 days/1000 miles top-to-bottom guarantee so I am not worried.

My husband and I are long time car people and have both had our share of lemons. Spent 3 hours testing, trying, poking and prodding. We crossed every t with the dealer and are relatively confident things are fine. HOWEVER, she goes in tomorrow for a thorough check at the Bimmer place. Carfax was good. The usual repairs and fixes, maintenance done properly.

My test drives, which turned up problems in other BMWs, came out well on this.

Like I said, I used this dealer before and it is a long-standing St Louis dealer with a good rep.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I just bought an 07 X3 with the sport package a couple weeks ago. Everything has been great so far, and I'm happy with my purchase. I read through the transmission sticky, and I haven't noticed any of the characteristics described in that thread with my vehicle. The only problem I have is that I have a hard time deciding on whether I want to take the X3 or my Subaru when I go somewhere. I hope you find what you want.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0i
Katfish, Patience is a virtue! Glad you passed on the 2007 and went with the '06. You would always have had a nagging doubt whenever you experienced your first problem with the '07. Happy and healthy driving to you!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1021 View Post
I just bought an 07 X3 with the sport package a couple weeks ago. Everything has been great so far, and I'm happy with my purchase. I read through the transmission sticky, and I haven't noticed any of the characteristics described in that thread with my vehicle. The only problem I have is that I have a hard time deciding on whether I want to take the X3 or my Subaru when I go somewhere. I hope you find what you want.
Most of the transmission issues mentioned have been resolved through the software upgrades. My 2007 now has over 135k miles and has been a great vehicle. I am extremely happy I went with it as I prefer it's interior layout and increased power. I still get 24 mpg!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Katfish - congrats on your "new" X3! I am sure you will love it!

With a long list of issues on the 2007 you made a wise choice!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!