Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Chronic BMW Abuser

Mein Auto: 06 E83 Sport / Premium
Question 2006 E83 Service Recommendations / Expectations

Taking X3 in for 60k service to an independent service provider (highly recommended one) locally. "Service Engine Soon" recently came on - and brakes are a little squeaky.

Other than oil and filter (def synthetic) - and hopefully - just brake pads - any other recommended maintenance?

Question on the brakes: Can e83 rotors be turned? I know some vehicles (like my damn benz) they are throw away and not resurfaceable. I.e.; is my brake job costing me $150 or $1000 LOL.

Thanks for any input / comments / good jokes....

Jack

Former Rides:
'01 540i 6spd Sport
'01 740iL
'02 M3 SMG II Cabriolet
'00 M-Roadster
'00 323 Ci

When does habit turn into vice?
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Chronic BMW Abuser

It's an automatic...fyi...

Former Rides:
'01 540i 6spd Sport
'01 740iL
'02 M3 SMG II Cabriolet
'00 M-Roadster
'00 323 Ci

Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
You should get the engine air filter and the cabin micro filter replaced at Inspection II/ 60k miles.

I would also recommend getting the transfer case fluid changed.

You also should consider getting the front and rear differential fluids changed, too. But this is not as vital as the transfer case fluid change.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

BMW CCA #422951

Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Don't think there is much turning of rotors going on these days for any cars.

Lots of conflicting design considerations for the initial mass of rotors, but in general they tend to be a thickness that lasts for one pad change at most for German autos.

Partly because they spec. slightly softer rotors that do wear down quicker than others for best brake feel and performance.

Even for those cars that have rotors that don't wear down as much, re-surfacing them may not be cost-effective as new rotor pricing is less than it used to be (the China factor).

I understand that there is maybe only one rotor foundry left in N. America, if any, and possibly one in central Europe, with just about everything now forged in China.

(Re-working blanks for slotting and drilling, re-packaging, etc. doesn't count for being Made in USA.)

So, depending on what is causing your squeaking, plan on more like a $1K brake job, especially if a brake fluid flush is due too.

A 60K service done at a dealer includes lots of checks that will add quite a few more hundred $'s - at an independent, you'd have to see what they normally recommend.

They might want to do a coolant flush for example.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Chronic BMW Abuser

Thanks guys, much appreciate the tips.

Former Rides:
'01 540i 6spd Sport
'01 740iL
'02 M3 SMG II Cabriolet
'00 M-Roadster
'00 323 Ci

Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
My CEL at 60K+ turned out to be a problem with a hose leak somewhere in the intake & emissions system plumbing that cost about $600 -- on top of the "usual" stuff like brake fluid replacement, oil service, coolant flush (I asked for that), and the aforementioned air filters (which I replaced myself in about 10 minutes). Total bill came to about $1200. Oh yes, 10K miles later the MAS had to be replaced as well (another $600 with some additional cracked hoses in the "plumbing"). Seems to me that the rubber tubing/hoses/parts etc that BMW uses have a finite life under the hot hood and harden up and crack about that mileage. I am also sure that when the wrench gets in there and starts moving that stuff around to get to another part -- the hardened hoses crack -- causing problems (and more expense) later.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-26-2013 at 07:52 AM.