Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335 convertible.
Question Best iPhone setup for a 2010 E93

Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2010 Le Mans blue 335 convertible. It's my first BMW, and I'm loving it.

My one frustration / first-world-problem is that it doesn't have bluetooth music streaming, which only showed up in the 2011s. I have ComfortAccess, and yet I have to manually plug in my iPhone each time I get in!

So I'm looking to solve this...

1) Are there any software updates / tweaks that add support for Bluetooth streaming? Probably wishful thinking on my part...

2) Do any of you connect a bluetooth adapter to the y-cable, like this one? How's it working out for you?

That way I could leave the adapter in the center compartment and the phone in my pocket. I'd have to manually switch to the car bluetooth for phone calls, but that seems like a small price to pay.

My biggest concern is that reviews seem to indicate that the adapters disconnect or turn off. If I have to open the compartment to re-enable it each time, that kind of defeats the purpose.

3) Do any of you have recommendations for iPhone mounts around the center console, ideally right under the climate control / stereo?

Right now my Y-Cable is so short that my phone has to sit right next to the iDrive controller, where it kind of slides around.

Thanks for your advice!

-Nick_a_
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Are you looking to stream stuff over your phone, or just want your music? If you can live without streaming and stuff, pick up a used ipod nano or something and leave it in the console.

I haven't seen any positive reports on any bluetooth add-ons.

Your other option is to perform a COMBOX retrofit to get the bluetooth streaming capability. Not inexpensive.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, @gpburdell. I'm looking to stream over the phone. Basically, I want to sit down in the car, press start and be on my way

Unfortunately the iPod Nano won't work for me. I get all my music from Spotify, so it has to come from my phone (highly recommended, btw).

Has anyone used one of the little bluetooth adapters?

-Nick
Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: cars & bikes
I've done the Blackberry unit (at the time was considered one of the best, works with iPhone fine). Did not last long, sound quality is very noticeably worst than the headphone connection. Pairing can also be an issue if you have multiple devices paired and within range, like when the car's in the garage. Get yourself a line out 31 pin adapter and enjoy the music. Using line out results in much better sound quality than the headphone jack which in turn is much better than Bluetooth. If digital is a choice, use it as BMW's dac is better than Apple's.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Ah, thanks for the feedback @threeOh. I'm getting used to plugging in my phone, it sounds that might just be easier than fiddling with a bluetooth adapter.

If only it was a 2011 and had the streaming built in!

-Nick
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i Coupe
Look at proclipusa.com. they make two phone mounts for the Iphone. One for the vehicle and one for the phone, complete with case or no case. Also, a full charging solution as well. I used this on my 370z and it worked well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM

@Darryl79, thanks so much for the recommendation, Proclip's dash clips look like they'll be a great fit, as long as I can find a long enough Y-cable.

-Nick
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i Coupe
Nick -

Not a problem man, hoped it worked out for you.

Darryl
Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi, 2009 335i C
I did a combox retrofit for my 2009 E93 and could not be happier! Totally worth it for someone who plans on keeping the car for a while(like myself).
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i
Recently purchased a 2010 E93, and am curious about the combox retrofit. Is this an easy installation and where would be the best place to pick-up a combox?