Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i MSport, 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwilson View Post
I have a hitch mount and it works well, a shoulder injury makes the roof mount difficult for me and I'm concerned about the possibility of damage from a trunk mounted rack.

The installation instructions for the hitch has the rating as 2500ibs tow, 250 lbs tongue - with a bike rack its the tongue load that you care most about

I have a Thule 2 bike platform rack and a Hollywood 4 bike hanging rack for when one of my wife's friends comes along. Aside from reversing, also need to be careful of steep driveways when I have the platform rack on because its low to the ground.
Nooo! Please dont say you put a 2 inch hitch on a 5 series
Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
I'd rather hump bikes around on the roof than having them sticking out the rear...

Looks cooler too.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRixter View Post
Nooo! Please dont say you put a 2 inch hitch on a 5 series
Actually, it is possible to add a hitch receiver to the F10 without impacting the vehicle's style at all. The most popular use of the invisihitch is for bike racks. (See photos below).

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 5 Series [F10] with invisihitch receiver installed.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	364132   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 5 Series [F10] with removeable bike-rack connector attached.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	364133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Invisihitch detachable bike-rack connector, 2-inch.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	364134  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M-Sport 6MT
I couldn't decide on the roof rack or hitch mount to haul my bikes. So I went with both. Now I can haul my bikes and the backhoe at the same time. I only wish I had gone with the V8

Last edited by mototodo; 01-13-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
Has anybody tried any bike racks besides the BMW OEM roof mounts? Are the roof mounts a pain to mount and then to get the bikes up there? Are trunk mounted racks easier/better? Any recommendations? I tried looking on craigslist for something, but impossible to tell which ones are compatible with the F10.
I got the Thule Aeroblade bars and Podium fit kit. They also mount to the hidden roof bolts, similar to the pictured BMW rack. Cost about $350 for the bars and feet. I used the three bike racks from my older Thule square bar setup that I had on my previous car. I went for the sleeker bars for the new Bimmer.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototodo View Post
I couldn't decide on the roof rack or hitch mount to haul my bikes. So I went with both. Now I can haul my bikes and the front end loader at the same time. I only wish I had gone with the V8

You should also get a snow plow package.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Is the roof rack kit permanently attached to the car or is that easily removable? If it's easy to remove, is it also easy to reinstall? I can't tell if people's comments are in reference to the entire roof rack being easy to reinstall or just the bike rails being easy to reinstall. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdengineer View Post
Is the roof rack kit permanently attached to the car or is that easily removable? If it's easy to remove, is it also easy to reinstall? I can't tell if people's comments are in reference to the entire roof rack being easy to reinstall or just the bike rails being easy to reinstall. Thanks!
The newer base support bars have a quick-tight/quick-release, no-tool attachment. Once the plastic paint protectors are attached inside the hard point wells and the bars are adjusted to the correct width (which are only done the first time), it takes a minute to attach or detach the base support bars.
- Unlock the foot covers
- Tighten (or loosen) the bolts by hand (one per foot)
- Flip the bolt retaining levers
- Re-lock the foot covers
- Done

The mountain/touring bike rack slides into the channels of the base bars and is held tight with clamps (one clamp is keyed). It would be mounted after attaching the base bars to the roof and before locking the foot covers when installing, or after unlocking the foot covers and before detaching the base bars when demounting. I suppose it's possible to mount and demount everything as a single unit with the bike rack(s) attached to the base support bars, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a helper, and even then it would be too easy to bend the aluminum channels.

I will add that this is a very solid system and well designed. I am very happy with it except for the howl when driving over 40mph. I think a fairing will help or eliminate the noise.

Last edited by mototodo; 01-14-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
New 2013 528i owner were. Does anyone make a trailer hitch to support a bike rack mount? I cant seem to find one anywhere.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototodo View Post
The newer base support bars have a quick-tight/quick-release, no-tool attachment. Once the plastic paint protectors are attached inside the hard point wells and the bars are adjusted to the correct width (which are only done the first time), it takes a minute to attach or detach the base support bars.
- Unlock the foot covers
- Tighten (or loosen) the bolts by hand (one per foot)
- Flip the bolt retaining levers
- Re-lock the foot covers
- Done

The mountain/touring bike rack slides into the channels of the base bars and is held tight with clamps (one clamp is keyed). It would be mounted after attaching the base bars to the roof and before locking the foot covers when installing or after unlocking the foot covers and before detaching the base bars when demounting. I suppose it's possible to mount and demount everything as a single unit with the bike rack(s) attached to the base support bars, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a helper.

I will add that this is a very solid system and well designed. I am very happy with it except for the howl when driving over 40mph. I think a fairing will help or eliminate the noise.
Awesome, thank you so much for the detailed explanation!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycop View Post
New 2013 528i owner were. Does anyone make a trailer hitch to support a bike rack mount? I cant seem to find one anywhere.
Yes, we make such a hitch and it hides behind the bumper. Please take a look at the photos I posted at post #28 of this thread, and jot me an email if you would like more information.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Kenpasadena

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Rear Bicycle Holder for Trailer Hitch

I stopped by my dealer's parts department yesterday. They showed me both a trailer hitch and bicycle holder. Quote was $850 for both. Anyone have experience with the rear BMW-bicycle holders?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
The racing bike holders have a fork-mount attachment: you take the front wheel off to attach the rest of the bike to the bike carrying tray. The MTB holders take the bike with both wheels and have a different sort of attachment mount.

The crossbars are ridiculously hard to get on the first time as there is simply no tolerance for the width adjustment. In that respect they are greatly inferior to the crossbars I had for my E92, which went on and off with ease. I had to have professional help with the crossbars the first time. I was also a bit shocked and disappointed to discover there is less width in the trunk to accommodate my road bike (seat post height is the problem, with the bike on its side) than there was in the E92. Who knew? I can get the bike in, but it takes some finagling.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550
Posted some photos of a 5 series with Invisihitch and a bike rack here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=19
Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 325XiT
Invisi Hitch

I installed the invisi hitch a couple weekends ago. I love the hitch cannot tell it is there until you mount it to the car. At most it takes maybe a minute to install the hitch (once the crossbar is installed). The car looks stock until you install it. You can use either a 2" or 1.25" with that hitch and it is good to 3500 lbs towing capacity. Not that I would haul a backhoe (that's awesome by the way) but for bikes, boats and small trailers it works perfectly. I am a little more mechanically inclined than some but I felt the install was very straight forward.