Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hittpink
Mein Auto: 335d
Very funny - wife whinning!!

I just picked up a 2011 335d and noticed that when I held the cruise control towards me for 2-4 seconds, that there was a lot of deacceleration. I know that it will save my brakes.

However, I'm wondering if it will do any damage to the tranny. Is the tranny build to take power both ways, or only from the engine?

Thanks, bill
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittpink View Post
Very funny - wife whinning!!

I just picked up a 2011 335d and noticed that when I held the cruise control towards me for 2-4 seconds, that there was a lot of deacceleration. I know that it will save my brakes.

However, I'm wondering if it will do any damage to the tranny. Is the tranny build to take power both ways, or only from the engine?

Thanks, bill
I have read on here before that the cruise control when you use it's slowing down feature will actually be applying the rear brakes on the car. Not sure if that happens when pulling the stalk towards you or not.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:

As mentioned, the brakes are used by the cruise control to slow the car if normal deceleration via the engine won't slow it.

Downshifting the transmission, or even slowing in the current gear, will not harm the transmission. Indeed, if you're on level ground and take your foot off the accelerator, you'll notice the transmission downshift as the car slows.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Very Interesting! Thank You. This may explain why there is less brake pad left on the rear brake pads than the front!

bill
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
As mentioned, the brakes are used by the cruise control to slow the car if normal deceleration via the engine won't slow it.

Downshifting the transmission, or even slowing in the current gear, will not harm the transmission. Indeed, if you're on level ground and take your foot off the accelerator, you'll notice the transmission downshift as the car slows.
I always thought that downshifting with AT could harm the transmission. Guess I have a lot to learn. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 AM

doesnt our cars DOWNSHIFT on their own? I believe so.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Very Interesting! Thank You. This may explain why there is less brake pad left on the rear brake pads than the front!

bill
Rear brakes also get engaged for traction control if I remember correctly.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 AM

vry true Snipe I had a terrible experience at the begining when I bought my car DAMN DSC almost made me get into an accident nevertheless i know how the car handles
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
$5.4k for a reman or all new transmission?
IIRC all BMW trans are rebuilds in the sense that the housing is NOT new. Read this a few years ago. Internals were new.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
It is completey different and built to handle the torque and then some. 335d's built up through 8/2009 had the ZF 6HP26Z which was then upgraded to the more stout ZF 6HP28 which has a higehr torque rating. The ZF 6HP26/6HP28 is also found on the E65 7-series, E63/64 6 series, E53 X5, E70 X5 4.8i, and whole slew of other cars by other manufactures including Maserati Quatroportte, Range Rover Sport etc

Here is the manual for the ZF 6HP26Z/6HP28.

http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...28_Catalog.pdf
Would I be correct in assuming the zf6hp28 would be the better transmission? I am considering a used 335d.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Sterling is good. VOB and Fairfax have the 2 worst reps in the area. Tischer is outstanding.
Sterling SCREWED my car up big time. When they replaced my head the first time sensors were bent, many things were cracked, things were leaking left and right.

I took the car to BMW of Fairfax and had a diesel trained tech work on my car. He had to take the head apart and correct MANY issues (Internal and external to the engine).

Sterling has lost my business. Knowing many of the tech's I see a lot of fired ones head over to Sterling from Fairfax. The key is finding a tech who has worked on the diesel's. Ask for Ron over at BMW of Fairfax.

My car spent 7 weeks at Sterling. Then another 2 at BMW of Fairfax fixing all of Sterlings fault. The faults were so bad BMW of NA decided to involve themselves. Sterling and BMW NA sent me an apology letter. My previous car (550) head gasket started leaking after sterling replaced it.

It's hard for me to "hate" something. I know hate is a strong word but I do hate BMW of Sterling.

Last edited by elester12; 03-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
It's hard for me to "hate" something. I know hate is a strong word but I do hate BMW of Sterling.
At least BMW NA did not try to make you pay for the repairs of the repair, meaning the second dealership charges to fix what the first dealership did wrong.

When BMW of North Houston completely botched replacing a sensor, under the factory warranty, on my car and Advantage BMW of Midtown fixed it the response from BMW NA was that I had to pay for the repair of the repair. BMW NA though is the entity that told me to take it to a second dealer when I did not trust the response from BMW of North Houston when they returned my car to me with an SES light on which was the very reason I brought the car to them and they had for around a month and said was fixed.

I can say with certainty that I "hate" BMW of North Houston and I am not overly happy with BMW NA either since they tried to stick me with the bill. Guess I was at least lucky in that Advantage found with North Houston to make North Houston pay the bill, this created a few more days of delays and car sat at the dealer during that.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
getting a new transmission also

I am getting my CPO "launch" 335D which had 27K at purchase and now has 85K. The obvious symptom was that the transmission was when cold it was holding 2nd gear and then shifting hard into 3rd. When they dropped the pan there were metal shavings in the fluid. Should have it back by end of week.
It also had a shifter issue just happen, the selector would not indicate "DS"mode and it didn't shift into DS either.
I am glad it didn't happen at 115K.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Trany gone at 85,000

Hi, how would you describe your driving, hard, aggressive, highway, city, in D most if the time, in DS most of the time, or otherwise? Did you have the tranny fluid changed at any time before the problem?

Even though dealers say it's not needed, at least one Bimmer expert as said that if the fluid is changed two or three times by 100,000, that the tranny will remain in much better conditon.

I praying for 200,000 miles on my tranny, a 2011 335d.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 AM

if you treat your transmission nice, both by not driving hard all the time and by treating it to frequent service, it will treat you nice in return. The price of a fluid change every 30k miles pays for itself in $$$ and in frustration if it helps prevent the tranny going at at 100k. The trans holding 2nd (and other gears) while cold is normal, thats part of the DDEs method of speeding up the engine warm up. The clunking into 3rd after and obviously the metal shavings are not. Good to hear it got replaced under warranty, definitely curious if there was any previous service to the transmission and what your driving style is
Old 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
At least it seems the reliability of the BMW (ZF) transmissions have improved over the years. This is the first case of failure I've heard about on a 335d. We have a 540iT that had the trans fail. The front drum cracked. All the fluid changes in the world would not have prevented that.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM

I drove the car pretty easy most of the time. This is 2nd transmission that I have ever had fail in 30 years. It is my 1st under 140K miles and that was a terrible ford 5 speed auto behind a V8 in an explorer that pulled a heavy trailer. I would describe my driving as easy around town and fast on the highway. I left it almost all the time in D and not DS and if I would zip it around town I would shift manually starting off gently until I reach 3 and it has engaged. I sort of had a premonition if the tranny was going to fail it would be from 2nd to 3rd. That has the biggest leap from one cog to another. I did try once a month to let the car rip after it was warmed up for a long while like on a long sales trip to attempt to keep the intakes from clogging. So far, not a problem there. But there again I would select manual 4th and then let it go manually shifting to 5th at about 4300.
On the highway I left it in Manual 6th a lot. I really went out of the way to not beat the tranny knowing the engine has a lots of torque and didn't want to slam the gears with 425ft lbs of twisting force.
As far as servicing I went to get it serviced at 85k but waited a month and the symptoms co-incidentally started to make themselves very obvious. Before then there were no symptoms.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM

remember though I have the older 6hptz tranny. It was built in 2008. I am hoping the new one will have the upgrades put into the hp8 but no one at the dealer knows that answer.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
See this thread for a discussion on supplemental maintenance on the automatic transmission. It may be a good point to change the fluid to prevent certain types of breakdown that involve fluid performance.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
At least BMW NA did not try to make you pay for the repairs of the repair, meaning the second dealership charges to fix what the first dealership did wrong.

When BMW of North Houston completely botched replacing a sensor, under the factory warranty, on my car and Advantage BMW of Midtown fixed it the response from BMW NA was that I had to pay for the repair of the repair. BMW NA though is the entity that told me to take it to a second dealer when I did not trust the response from BMW of North Houston when they returned my car to me with an SES light on which was the very reason I brought the car to them and they had for around a month and said was fixed.

I can say with certainty that I "hate" BMW of North Houston and I am not overly happy with BMW NA either since they tried to stick me with the bill. Guess I was at least lucky in that Advantage found with North Houston to make North Houston pay the bill, this created a few more days of delays and car sat at the dealer during that.
This is odd. One of those "you've got to be leaving something out" stories..UNTIL you realize we are talking about BMW. Right?

If youve posted on this before a link would be of interest.

A
Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
This is odd. One of those "you've got to be leaving something out" stories..UNTIL you realize we are talking about BMW. Right?

If youve posted on this before a link would be of interest.

A

I recall griping about it in some thread back when it happened but no clue where that is since that was a long time ago.

Basically was:
- I think just a few months into ownership SES light turned on and stayed on
- Took car to BMW North Houston since bought it from there
- Got a loaner car
- Around a month later they call me and tell me my car is fixed and ready to be picked up
- Took half a day off from work and went down to exchange cars
- Before opening the door to the car I see the light is still on. I question the service adviser about this and he gives me this story about how those sensors BMW is having nothing but issues with and how a girl that works there has had it replaced multiple times on her X5 and how BMW is preparing to do a big recall on them. I had been overly active on here since buying the car and no one had mentioned this on here so I did not believe him but did not tear into his story. He said it was fine to drive but if I want to keep the loaner I can.
- Took the car home and parked it
- Went back and forth with BMW NA about this story trying to get confirmation there truly is a problem with these sensors and a recall is coming. BMW NA would not confirm or deny anything, very hands off customer support approach.
- BMW NA finally said take it to another dealer even though I questioned how does that really tell me anything if their story is different then does that mean I go to a third until stories line up.
- Took it to BMW Downtown Houston, that day they called me and explained the sensor had vacuum lines hooked up backwards as well as how some screws(I think for the engine cover) were missing and wires were not put back in loom holders. They had it fixed that day.
- BMW NA said they would not pay BMW Downtown Houston for the repair
- BMW Downtown Houston and BMW North Houston went back and forth for roughly a week at which point the $800ish bill was paid by BMW North Houston and I was allowed to pick up my car.

Upside is I got to drive around in a 2010 328i for around a month and put a few thousand miles on their car instead of racking them up on mine.