Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 gt
forget the reviews GT

I read the reviews. Ugly. Slow. EWWWW. and worse. Over and over. Same negative stuff.

But one thing intrigued me. The reviewers always also mentioned the roominess. And the cargo capacity. and the big back seat. (my high schooler is 6 foot 3). The reviewers mentoned 7 series chassis and 5 series body.

I have been renting 5 and 7 series on my thrice yearly business trips to Europe and thought this was the perfect mix.

In spite of the reviews, I sought one out. I instantly fell in love.

First, it does not look ugly at all, I tis a striking automobile in appearance and in style and in handling. My tall son, now heading to college frequently still ravels with us and we hall around watch company execs routinely and ALL comment on the HUGE back seat. I haul tons of stuff in the cargo area.

I have relatively GREAT handling and truly incredible gas mileage (30 plus on highway and 25 ish in city). I actually LIKE the electric assist deal.

IF you are on the fence, and want roominess/luxury of a 7 series but not the stodginess of one and still like to accelerate a bit and appreciate terrific handling, this is the car.

I changes cars every two years and have owned just about every German car out there, plus large luxury Japanese cars, Porsche's, Cadillac, you name it. (I just sold my Super charged Range Rover a few months back)

This 535 GT makes the others look anemic, old fashioned and junky. This is by far is superior.

The reviewers are full of it.

An amazing automobile.

Jeffrey P. Hess
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
The GT is sort of ugly but so are a lot of iconic cars. And, those back seats are to die for...(((swoon))).
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
BMW loaned me one to drive around Europe.

I had to sneak up on it in the parking garage it was so ugly but once inside it was sublime on the Autobahn!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballwatchguy View Post
I read the reviews. Ugly. Slow. EWWWW. and worse. Over and over. Same negative stuff.

But one thing intrigued me. The reviewers always also mentioned the roominess. And the cargo capacity. and the big back seat. (my high schooler is 6 foot 3). The reviewers mentoned 7 series chassis and 5 series body.

I have been renting 5 and 7 series on my thrice yearly business trips to Europe and thought this was the perfect mix.

In spite of the reviews, I sought one out. I instantly fell in love.

First, it does not look ugly at all, I tis a striking automobile in appearance and in style and in handling. My tall son, now heading to college frequently still ravels with us and we hall around watch company execs routinely and ALL comment on the HUGE back seat. I haul tons of stuff in the cargo area.

I have relatively GREAT handling and truly incredible gas mileage (30 plus on highway and 25 ish in city). I actually LIKE the electric assist deal.

IF you are on the fence, and want roominess/luxury of a 7 series but not the stodginess of one and still like to accelerate a bit and appreciate terrific handling, this is the car.

I changes cars every two years and have owned just about every German car out there, plus large luxury Japanese cars, Porsche's, Cadillac, you name it. (I just sold my Super charged Range Rover a few months back)

This 535 GT makes the others look anemic, old fashioned and junky. This is by far is superior.

The reviewers are full of it.

An amazing automobile.

Jeffrey P. Hess
Glad you like it.

Personally, I can't stand it. I've really, really, really tried to like it. I'm a wagon and hatchback aficionado...but the looks, just can't get past it. Sorry.

But that's not important. No need to be defensive, just enjoy it.

By the way...here are more people who do....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i

i personally liked it in this unique color combo.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM

Wow. rought crowd...lol Hey, I can take it! I saw review after review that said ti was ugly.

I'm still in love iwth it.

Jeff

Plus I just saw that I made a NOOB mistake and posted inthe wrong forum area. Maybe wuld not have been so brutal inthe GT area???? Cheeers!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
Haha. Nice review. Appreciate your view points and glad you love it!

So, ball watches eh? Don't you make a BMW watch?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM

'
Yes. And truth be told, this is what led me to buy a BMW.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Great review.

Personally I wish more people bought what worked for them and to heck with the reviews.

Good for you.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM
GT = hi&bye

Mein Auto: 550i gt
Definitely wrong forum

LOL!
When I first saw the thread, I thought, "WOW", Ballwatchguy certainly has a lot of balls....even mentioning the GT in the F10 forum usually gets major eye-rolls. Let's face it, even F10 owners show the F07 no love. But it is good to see some F10 forum members speaking on the topic...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt=hi&bye View Post
LOL!
LOL, indeed.

I still think my post comparing the GT to the F10 with 400lb sumo wrestler sitting in the back seat was some of my best material. Hmm... I wonder how Capo us doing.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM
GT = hi&bye

Capo F07s best ally

Yeah. Capo was and still is F07 owners best ally.
He had nothing but praise for the vehicle and stood up to anyone who thought otherwise.

I think he is like an urban legend to newer F07 owners. HaHa
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 PM

I am ashamed. sorry guys!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 m sport
It's all good man. Post a pic of your watch with your GT!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I had to sneak up on it in the parking garage it was so ugly but once inside it was sublime on the Autobahn!
LOL, that about sums the GT up to me.

I really can't stand the looks of the thing, and wish for the sake of BOTH it and the 5-Series, it wouldn't wear the "5 Series" name (confusing, makes no sense, not even true). However, BMW seemed to succeed in making the ultimate dynamic utilitarian tool, which is a testament to their engineering capabilities in this "field" that the GT either competes in.... or creates (again, confusing.... is it a Wagon? A Crossover, an SUV? Etc.).

Anyway, congrats to OP. Guys who have the car seem to usually adore it (at least the ones that have come here with it) so obviously it must be doing something right.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I think most of the problem is that split personality hatch. BMW tried to get too clever and ended up designing the tail around that huge piece of equipment.

Contrast to the new Three Series GT which has a much more cohesive design in my eyes, and has more of a conventional hatch.

My biggest disappointment with the 5 GT was that the cargo room wasn't as cavernous as you would think.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Great car to drive, lots of room in the back. I just couldn't get past the look of the car. I can see how it can grow on you over time. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I think most of the problem is that split personality hatch. BMW tried to get too clever and ended up designing the tail around that huge piece of equipment.

Contrast to the new Three Series GT which has a much more cohesive design in my eyes, and has more of a conventional hatch.

My biggest disappointment with the 5 GT was that the cargo room wasn't as cavernous as you would think.
I can't get past the looks of the GT. I had an X6 and I thought it was kinda ugly until I saw a GT.

Anyway, the GT will be gone before long. I think they only sell 5-10 a year. :ROFL:

The only reason why BMW sells any GT's at all is because BMW USA won't import the wagon.

The X1,X2,X6,GT are just and flash in the pan and won't withstand the test of time. I view them as more consumer experiments.

Last edited by chuck92116; 02-27-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM
GT = hi&bye

Don't need to read reviews to get F07 bashing...

@ Ballwatchguy, welcome to the F10 forum!

I knew it wouldn't take too long for the GT bashing to start.

Ballwatchguy, you don't need to read reviews to hear how ugly, fugly, and odd the GT looks. Just come right over to the F10 forum and you will get your fair share here!!!

Haven't you heard... UGLY is the new COOL!

Quote:
I think they only sell 5-10 a year

Really? Well, truth be told, I would rather be 1 of 10, then 1 of tens of thousands!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
@ Ballwatchguy, welcome to the F10 forum!

I knew it wouldn't take too long for the GT bashing to start.

Ballwatchguy, you don't need to read reviews to hear how ugly, fugly, and odd the GT looks. Just come right over to the F10 forum and you will get your fair share here!!!

Haven't you heard... UGLY is the new COOL!

Quote:
I think they only sell 5-10 a year

Really? Well, truth be told, I would rather be 1 of 10, then 1 of tens of thousands!
You should consider a Buick Rendezvous if you like exclusivity. A lot cheaper and looks about the same. :ROFL:
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Rather have an American F11

Last edited by wrecked2001; 03-05-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you like it, awesome. Personally, I think it looks awful in pics, but isn't bad in person...along the same lines as the Panamera.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is
Funny I'm considering a '14 550 or 550GT, and I much prefer the new engine that's currently in the GT, I'm not a fan of the weight, but the cargo room is greatly supperior (a plus with my dogs) and shocker but I like the looks of the GT better than the 550 AS WELL.
ED 5/9/2008 335i Graphite Metallic
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
LOL, indeed.

..... Hmm... I wonder how Capo us doing.
Quote:
Yeah. Capo was and still is F07 owners best ally.
He had nothing but praise for the vehicle and stood up to anyone who thought otherwise.

I think he is like an urban legend to newer F07 owners. HaHa

The Urban Legend of Capo’s GT

The Horses, the horses, the horses, they pull
With a power of four hundred strong
And four-fifty measures the pounds of the torque
That propel adroit driver along.

Oh the 550iGT, GT, the 550iGT
Never was such a ride
Silhouette and a stride
As the paradigm shifting GT.

Ah to travel along
With the guys in F10’s
Who aspire to blend in and sneer
at the spirited free, who prefer the GT--
Guess the member they envy is clear.

“Have you driven a Freud,… Latently…?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Pontiac Aztec is even more unique than the GT.

Like I've said a million times, "exclusivity" cannot be heralded unless we're talking at least $100++K cars. Otherwise there's generally a consensus that says the styling, reliability, function, brand, etc. isn't regarded on a wide scale.

Of course, if one likes a particularly unpopular car, then they've got it great. They can have a car that works great, and is perfect to them and the fact that no one else likes it means that no one else buys it, which means that now you can even enjoy "exclusivity" with it.

People don't buy F10's to fit in, they buy F10's because they want one, and the fact that so many different types of people equally want one, is actually a technical testament to the car, not a detraction, though I wish nothing more from it than it being unpopular by the masses.... so I can enjoy some extra exclusivity with mine.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.