Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
driving a D around RTP

Mein Auto: 335d
trailer hitch for 335d

http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bm...35d-sedan.html

I haven't seen it in person. A friend sent the link with positive words about the company's hitches for other vehicles.

I'm thinking about modding my suspension to improve handling. And getting a small trailer to carry track wheels and tools/parts to the track.

But I'm not keen on modding what is currently the family road trip vehicle. Alternate "fun" idea is to tow a trailer carrying a track-converted e36 m3 or similar. Although I'm guessing the 335d does not have sufficient tow capacity. How does one find out? I don't think BMW publishes tow specs for the 335d.
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
I looked at a tow hitch a couple of years ago when I got my 335d but nothing was available in the US--the Execuhitch must be somewhat more recent. My only concern would be that it fits properly given the exhaust changes necessitated by the DEF tanks. In terms of general tow capability, I don't think you'd have any issues at all with towing a small trailer <3,000 lbs. The 335d was even ranked in the top 5 of tow cars in Germany a couple of years ago! http://www.caravaning.de/test/die-gr...er-117930.html .

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Yeah, I used to have trailer hitch by Curtis on my 328xi.
Wish I had one that would fit on the 335d.
Because I tow a single jet ski and bikes....
My bike tow hitch carrier:
Old 10-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch for 335d

Execuhitch does have an excellent solution on the 335d and does accommodate the urea tank.
www.execuhitch.com
www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN@EXECUHITCH View Post
Execuhitch does have an excellent solution on the 335d and does accommodate the urea tank.
www.execuhitch.com
www.youtube.com keyword: execuhitch
Dean, thanks for the confirmation. Does Execuhitch have any solutions for a 328xi Wagon with M-Sport package (different rear bumper/diffuser if that makes a difference).

Thanks,
Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Bimmerfest special

After a big move and retooling we are ready to serve you at Execuhitch. Please visit www.execuhitch.com. Website is constantly updated but for best most current info please contact dean@execuhitch.com or call direct with phone number posted on website.
Thanks!
Dean

As a re grand opening offer to those in BIMMERFEST I will give a 10 percent discount off any hitch and accessory purchase now through the month of February 2012. (does not apply to shipping, handling, and insurance and may not be combined with any other offer)

Jurassicdean is your code word. either mention during phone order or use on website with on-line order.

Dean
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Does anyone have experience installing an Execuhitch on the North American 335d (2009)?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Anyone think the EURO OEM hitch would/could fit around our urea tanks

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=71&fg=10
Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch for 335d

The execuhitch Invisihitch system for the 335d makes special accommodation for the urea tank. It also has special brackets made for the dual exhaust system.

Dean
www.execuhitch.com
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Dean, that looks like an appealing system. What are the requirements for installation (i.e. any specific installers)?

Regards
D.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Execuhitch Installation

With our detailed, illustrated install manual any high end service center, hitch installer, dealership, or even technical individuals can do the installation.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Good to hear. The 335d may be in line to become my tow vehicle in a little while. I will definitely check out the Execuhitch when the time comes.

Regards
D.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to meeksdigital
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Subscribing
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hittpink
Hi, I'm new to bimmerfest! Just picked up my 2011 335d w/34,000 miles on it. Lots of power, fantastic on the road, 35 mpg so far! Does anyone know the two specs? At U-Haul that have a hitch rated for 2,500 lbs. At Execuhitch they only say that the hitch is stronger than the specs for the car. But they don't cite either rating that I could find.

I'm also wondering if the traction control needs to be turned off, since the load would be different than the computer modling?

thanks, bill
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM

Ok amigos I have the INVISIHITCH installed on my 11 335d, but DEAN have you guys UPDATED the install instructions? You better of done it I spoke to Derrick about this!!! the install you sent me is of 328 NOT 335d, there is minimal cutting in the bumper lip below , your OEM Metal Bumper is replaced by the invisihitch and the product is by far the best in the market.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittpink View Post
Does anyone know the two specs? At U-Haul that have a hitch rated for 2,500 lbs. At Execuhitch they only say that the hitch is stronger than the specs for the car. But they don't cite either rating that I could find.
BMW North America does not provide an official tow rating for the 335d. I explained why in a response to the same question about the X1. [See thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=652835&page=2]. The short answer is that BMWNA will not offer a tow rating for any vehicle unless BMWNA itself provides the hitch for the vehicle.

Fortunately, BMW does provide a hitch for the 335d in other parts of the world (and in some cases that hitch is my company's invisihitch). So BMW does tow rate the 335; you just have to find the tow rating internationally instead of through BMWNA.

BMW's international tow rating of the 335d, using an OEM-approved, zero-play hitch like the invisihitch, is 1,800 kg (3,968 lbs). The invisihitch itself has a safety margin above this, so you can tow up to the full capacity of the 335d. That's a pretty impressive towing capacity for a sedan!

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
BMW North America does not provide an official tow rating for the 335d. I explained why in a response to the same question about the X1. [See thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=652835&page=2]. The short answer is that BMWNA will not offer a tow rating for any vehicle unless BMWNA itself provides the hitch for the vehicle.

Fortunately, BMW does provide a hitch for the 335d in other parts of the world (and in some cases that hitch is my company's invisihitch). So BMW does tow rate the 335; you just have to find the tow rating internationally instead of through BMWNA.

BMW's international tow rating of the 335d, using an OEM-approved, zero-play hitch like the invisihitch, is 1,800 kg (3,968 lbs). The invisihitch itself has a safety margin above this, so you can tow up to the full capacity of the 335d. That's a pretty impressive towing capacity for a sedan!

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
At the risk of sounding like I know what I am talking about, how about the max tongue weight? Does that depend at all on the suspension that you have, or just what the hitch itself is rated in terms of how much downward force it can handle? Probably just the latter, eh?
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy335dOwner View Post
At the risk of sounding like I know what I am talking about, how about the max tongue weight? Does that depend at all on the suspension that you have, or just what the hitch itself is rated in terms of how much downward force it can handle? Probably just the latter, eh?
On unibody vehicles, tongue weight is almost always limited by the design of the chassis itself, rather than by the suspension or by the hitch receiver. You really should watch tongue weight very carefully on a sedan, even on a fairly stout sedan like the E90 chassis. In Europe, they typically spec 90 kg (200 lbs) max tongue weight on the E90. We rate it at 250 lbs here, but personally I would try to stay under the Euro rating of 200 lbs.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Jumping Jack Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
On unibody vehicles, tongue weight is almost always limited by the design of the chassis itself, rather than by the suspension or by the hitch receiver. You really should watch tongue weight very carefully on a sedan, even on a fairly stout sedan like the E90 chassis. In Europe, they typically spec 90 kg (200 lbs) max tongue weight on the E90. We rate it at 250 lbs here, but personally I would try to stay under the Euro rating of 200 lbs.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Thanks for the info. It looks like a nice system. I guess I just need to find a good installer. Assuming I plan to keep this 335d for a while, it might be handy to have a hitch to use for simple small jobs and/or a bike rack. Honestly, all the times I have had hitches I have rarely used them, but they are handy when you need them. Kinda like insurance.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 AM

Happy although there were some issues with the invisihitch upon instalation I strongly suggest u look into them I for one use it for bike rack of 4, the craftsmanship is by far superior than any other out there including UHUAL!!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
&amp;quot;Clunker&amp;quot; *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Happy although there were some issues with the invisihitch upon instalation I strongly suggest u look into them I for one use it for bike rack of 4, the craftsmanship is by far superior than any other out there including UHUAL!!
I went to U-haul in Laurel, MD. They knew exactly what to do, at a very rerasonable cost, and did a good job. My BMW dealer told me they had nothing that would fit my car (a 1999 528) so I had to go to U-haul. Probably saved me a lot of $$. (I might add that in Europe LOTS of BMWs have trailer hitches.)

Last edited by ProRail; 02-26-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
diesel-fitter

Mein Auto: 335D
does the 335d have the torque to pull a trailer
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM
BMW335diesel

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
I put a U-Haul hitch on my 2010 335d. It has a 1-1/4" receiver and works great for my hitch mouted bike rack. Nothing needed to be modified on the car. The receiver does stick out about 3" from the bottom edge of the bumper cover so you would really have to work at it to bang your shin on it, know what I mean? I also left it on the car when at the dealer for 10k service and nothing was said by the dealer about it (I know that there is a concern about voiding the waranty, if you are worried just remove the hicth and none will be the wiser)

It took me about 2 hours to install only because I was being VERY careful the first time. I would guess that including finding my tools it would only take about 1/2 to remove and 45 minutes tops to put back on.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebread39 View Post
does the 335d have the torque to pull a trailer
Am no expert on this, but I think torque is not the issue. It seems the issue, if there is one, would be the tongue-weight limitation. I was thinking about getting one of those expensive Execuhitches, but I doubt I would use it for much other than very light trailer towing like trash or yard refuse, or maybe tires to the track, or other lightweight stuff.

It's possible there may be some limitation with the tranny, but I really don't know.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 AM

I beleive we can HAUL anything but our cars are not made for this HEAVY hauling of trailers but I might be wrong correct me on this anyone, I know of an X5d that HAUL boats but again an X5d is more truck frame than our cars!!