Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Gas in my diesel

My wife put 20 gallons of unleaded in the x5 diesel. She did not start it and we had it towed to the local dealer. How much will this cost
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
According to BMW that is not possible as there are two mechanisms to prevent accidental gasoline filling. The pump nozzle must be exactly 24mm or the vent flap will block entrance of the fuel nozzle and there are two stickers saying that it is a diesel vehicle which is hard to miss.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:55 PM

After she fueled it she called me and I told her the same thing. I had her get the receipt from the attendant and she confirmed it was unleaded and not diesel. She tried the unleaded nossel again and she said it went in with no problem. The dealer showed me the safety mechanism when we purchased it 2 months ago.

Luckily she did not start the X5 and we had it towed. The question is, what is the dealer going to want to replace to cover their butt instead of just draining the fuel and replacing with diesel.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM

I am sorry for the misfortune. The opposite happened to me. I have owned diesel cars for 7 years but had never heard of the safety feature. While commuting from NJ to MD I stopped at a truck stop. The passenger car diesel pump nozzel was too small and I had no idea that new diesels had the safety feature as a result I wasn't able to pump. The manual had no information and neither did BMW roadside assistance. I later found out after getting towed to the dealer the accessory to bypass is in the trunk.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybeads View Post
... The question is, what is the dealer going to want to replace to cover their butt instead of just draining the fuel and replacing with diesel.
My guess is they will drain your tank, purge the lines and replace your filter.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Thanks goodness she realized and didn't start it. I would say since it didn't get started that the fuel line is likely full of diesel. But to be safe a flush up to the filter would cover you. Best of luck and let us know how it comes out.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
It sounds like the station was using a passenger car/light truck diesel nozzle for their gasoline pump. I wouldn't know if this is against the rules or not.

PL
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Something isn't adding up. If the station is using wrong nozzles, then you might be able to get them to cover the charges to fix this.

My wife has been driving her X5d for 3 years and she has yet to manage putting gas instead of diesel (and it's not like she hasn't tried).
Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
It sounds like the station was using a passenger car/light truck diesel nozzle for their gasoline pump. I wouldn't know if this is against the rules or not.

PL
We'll she'd still be able.to fuel up but a much lower rate.
Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 02-25-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM

Here is a thread that explains how the incorrect fueling protection system works in BMW cars: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18964

PL
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM

hey NEVR underestimate a woman a sister of an exgirlfriend of mines stopped ata local gas station in Florida and she filled her tank with DIESEL fuel , i asked her how she managed to do it she stated that she NEVER read it was DIESEL (yeah right! Bimbo)she thought everything was the same, needless to say she started the engine and do you believe that Honda let her get away with it!!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 AM

If the gasoline pump had the larger diesel nozzle, it wouldn't work on gasoline vehicles, so there must have been something else that went wrong, i.e. the incorrect fuel protection system must have been bypassed somehow.

PL
Old 02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I always rent diesel vehicles when in Europe. One time in Italy I put a few gallons of petrol in the tank by mistake. Not a fillup. I was horrified and it ruined the rest of my trip because of my worry. Wrong or right, ethical or unethical, I did the following. As soon as I realized my error, I shut off the pump, paid for the petrol portion, and continued the fillup with diesel. Then I drove off. But I stopped everytime I could (very often) and topped it off with diesel. And worried and monitored and worried and monitored and drove much more gently. There were no obvious symptoms, but I have always felt bad about returning the rental vehicle like that, and have always wondered about the long term effect on the engine.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Michelin PSS tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Just need to drain the tank. The gasoline would actually be on top of the pre-existing diesel. She could have actually probably driven a little while before the vehicle started to try to burn the gasoline and then ran like total junk, actually have experienced this very thing but in a non BMW diesel vehicle. The dealer however probably will want to replace the fuel filter and purge the lines on top of draining the tank.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Just need to drain the tank. The gasoline would actually be on top of the pre-existing diesel. She could have actually probably driven a little while before the vehicle started to try to burn the gasoline and then ran like total junk, actually have experienced this very thing but in a non BMW diesel vehicle. The dealer however probably will want to replace the fuel filter and purge the lines on top of draining the tank.
Interesting thought. If the diesel top ups always settled to the bottom of the tank, then theoretically it never tried to burn the gasoline as it was at the top of the tank. This was not a BMW, but some other common European brand. Makes you wonder at what level in the tank the fuel is drawn from. I'm guessing I had put 3-4 gallons in (actually the equivalent in liters).
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Michelin PSS tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

More I think about it. I know a few people who have made this mistake. Some in VWs and others in domestics. All just drained their tanks. Most drove home before realizing wrong fuel put in.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
I gave my VW TDI to my daughter in 2011 and warned her that of she filled it with gas it'll cost her $10K to fix! Till today she has not made that expensive mistake lol.

Today I sent my ML bluetec for service and was given a C350 4matic loaner. I went to gas up and instinctively headed towards a Diesel pump but correct myself before I fill it with Diesel!

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
I don't allow my wife to fill up her X5d. I take care of that, because she once managed to pump a tank full of diesel into her Toyota Highlander despite that "not being possible!".

Cost about a grand to fix the Highlander, but it was a bit more complicated since she actually tried to run it. It didn't get very far, lol. Drop and drain fuel tank, purge fuel system, replace fuel filter, lift intake manifold and replace spark plugs, etc. Oops!

more pics here
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM

After taking it to the BMW dealer, I was told that even opening the door starts priming the engine from the low pressure pump. If she had started the car it would have cost us
$6,000-$7,000.

They had a hard time believing it wasn't started because they found gas near the high pressure rail. They thought the tow truck driver started the vehicle but he towed the car without having the keys,Thank God.

The final cost is around $1200.00, Ouch .They charged us 7-8 hours labor and a new fuel filter.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I don't allow my wife to fill up her X5d. I take care of that, because she once managed to pump a tank full of diesel into her Toyota Highlander despite that "not being possible!".

Cost about a grand to fix the Highlander, but it was a bit more complicated since she actually tried to run it. It didn't get very far, lol. Drop and drain fuel tank, purge fuel system, replace fuel filter, lift intake manifold and replace spark plugs, etc. Oops!
How could this be? Are you sure she isn't trying to make you the "responsible pary"? She MUST know the difference between diesel and gasoline. I think she's being "the little woman." Thank god my wife doesn't do that.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM

My wife just shows up at the house with whatever vehicle running on fumes. Then I get to go fill it up.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybeads View Post
After taking it to the BMW dealer, I was told that even opening the door starts priming the engine from the low pressure pump. If she had started the car it would have cost us
$6,000-$7,000.

They had a hard time believing it wasn't started because they found gas near the high pressure rail. They thought the tow truck driver started the vehicle but he towed the car without having the keys,Thank God.

The final cost is around $1200.00, Ouch .They charged us 7-8 hours labor and a new fuel filter.
I'm not sure about our D's but most typical diesel engines have a recirculating fuel system, so fuel is being pumped from the fuel tank, to the engine fuel delivery system, and then back to the tank. The fuel circulating system is always circulating more than the engine would ever actually consume, so some percent is always recirculating. That may explain why they found gas near the fuel rail.

The reason for this excess circulation is to help with cooling the fuel system, especially in those areas where fuel components may be hot. In the old days that would have included the individual fuel pumps. If the fuel pumps could inject 10cc's of fuel/min some 20 or 30ccs/min of fuel would be circulating.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
diesel-fitter

Was your wife really upset, mine would have been really terrified of this.