Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i X-Drive M-Sport
Unhappy Dashboard Rattle on 2011 535i

I'm interested to find out if anyone else has had a problem with a dashboard rattle on the new F10 535i and how they remedied it.

Soon after I picked up my 535i last November I noticed a rattle coming from the dashboard area near the passenger side A pillar. The rattle sounds like a the noise that would emanate from the friction of two materials rubbing together as opposed to a loose mechanical part. It's noticeable when the car is riding over road bumps that cause it to resonate. It doesn't occur all of the time - tends be more prevalent when the car is cool.

I've had this in to the dealer on four occasions. On the last two visits they've kept it for 3 to 5 days in order to drive it after each presumed repair. They've removed the dash and looked for any loose parts. They've also added insulation to areas interior to the dash and the passenger door. On each visit the noise has gone away after their repairs temporarily, only to re-appear a day or two later.

I'm hoping that someone else has found the secret to fixing this. I suspect that this is a material fit problem with the new F10 model that isn't unique to my vehicle.

Ideas?
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
horrible...
ask them to change the dashboard completely with a whole new dashboard compartment.
My guess is every time they remove it, noise goes away and once the board sets noise starts again....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
you said when its cool so obviously the material is contracting and now rubbing where it used to be tight. If you park the car in the sun does the noise disappear? I have not heard any noises in my car yet, how many miles do you have?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM

My car has about 11,000 miles logged. The noise started soon after it was delivered though. The noise does tend to go away on warmer days after sitting in the sun.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
Could it be passenger seatbelt buckle hitting the B pillar? Mine occasionally rattles after a passenger exits and I drive off. Repositioning the buckle down so it rests on the seat back silences it. Bugged the hell out of me until I realized the cause.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 PM

I'm sure it isn't the seat belt. The noise occurs even when someone is riding in the passenger seat belted in.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
Could it be passenger seatbelt buckle hitting the B pillar? Mine occasionally rattles after a passenger exits and I drive off. Repositioning the buckle down so it rests on the seat back silences it. Bugged the hell out of me until I realized the cause.
Same thing happened to me - bugged the heck outta me until I figured it out. Now I routinely move that belt around to the seat when the wife is not with me. Does not sound like the problem our friend is having though..
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM

I had a similar annoying sound after taking delivery of my F10 but found that it disappeared when I opened the sunroof/sunshade cover slightly. Try moving the cover back and see whether this has any effect on the sound.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Smile

My BMW dealer finally resolved the issue

They determined that it was a broken weld in the dash assembly near the defrost vent. The resolution required them to order an entirely new dash from the Germany plant. After a couple of weeks waiting for the dash to be shipped from the motherland, the installation is complete. The rattle noise is finally gone!!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Thanks for the folow-up, glad they worked to resolve the issue for you.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535 xi
I have a rattle coming from around the dash speaker area and occasionally from the area around the passenger windshield pillar area. The dealer made it go away once but now it is back with a vengeance and acts up both when the car is hot or cold and especially over rough pavement. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Same thing happened to me - bugged the heck outta me until I figured it out. Now I routinely move that belt around to the seat when the wife is not with me. Does not sound like the problem our friend is having though..
Can you guys describe how you guys "move the seatbelt around the seat"? I find it odd that in a car with such a well thought out and ultra refined interior, the seatbelt buckle is so wildly left loose to bounce around the hard plastic pillar. What I found is that bringing up the little plastic "grabber" on the belt itself as high as you can, thus pushing the steel buckle up so it holds tighter and can now instead bounce against the nice padded Anthracite headliner material, works as well.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-14-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Can you guys describe how you guys "move the seatbelt around the seat"? I find it odd that in a car with such a well thought out and ultra refined interior, the seatbelt buckle is so wildly left loose to bounce around the hard plastic pillar. What I found is that bringing up the little plastic "grabber" on the belt itself as high as you can, thus pushing the steel buckle up so it holds tighter and can now instead bounce against the nice padded Anthracite headliner material, works as well.
Not so much "around the seat". We mean, pull the belt forward just enough to rest over the side bolster. My seats are usually far enough forward that the bolster will hold the belt in place. I suppose if your passenger seat is very far back, this may not work. I always move the passenger belt back into this position after someone gets out of the car.

See attached image for example. Actually, the driver side is more like how I usually do it. In this pic, my passenger seat must have been further back, but the belt is still over the bolster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019_med.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	362271  

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-14-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Ah, got it, thanks.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Dashboard rattle

I just got a 2013 328xi loaner vehicle from a US dealership. I left the car out in an uncovered parking in the cold and heard the same loud rattling sound when I drove it later on. The dealership said it was 'normal'! I am shocked.

Last edited by Hasn; 02-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F02 2013
I have the same problem. f02 2013
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535 xi
Turns out my dash rattle that seemed to come from underneath the dash speaker grill was actually the back side of the rear view mirror. Once the backside was clipped back together, the car is nosie free. Many thanks to the great service folks at BMW of Palm Springs.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F02 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbs View Post
I'm interested to find out if anyone else has had a problem with a dashboard rattle on the new F10 535i and how they remedied it.

Soon after I picked up my 535i last November I noticed a rattle coming from the dashboard area near the passenger side A pillar. The rattle sounds like a the noise that would emanate from the friction of two materials rubbing together as opposed to a loose mechanical part. It's noticeable when the car is riding over road bumps that cause it to resonate. It doesn't occur all of the time - tends be more prevalent when the car is cool.

I've had this in to the dealer on four occasions. On the last two visits they've kept it for 3 to 5 days in order to drive it after each presumed repair. They've removed the dash and looked for any loose parts. They've also added insulation to areas interior to the dash and the passenger door. On each visit the noise has gone away after their repairs temporarily, only to re-appear a day or two later.

I'm hoping that someone else has found the secret to fixing this. I suspect that this is a material fit problem with the new F10 model that isn't unique to my vehicle.

Ideas?
Is the dashboard rattle like this?

Last edited by fahadcom; 02-27-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i M Sport
Dashboard Rattle on 2013 535i

I recently purchased a 2013 535i and identified a rattle eminating from the driver's left air vent when going over small bumps and divets in the road. The vehicle is just under 5,000 miles. If I knocked on the bottom of the dashboard the rattle would repeat even when the vehicle was at a standstill. The rattle was minor but drove me nuts with such a quiet interior ride.

I took it into the dealer, described the rattle, and asked that they take a look at the dashboard while the vehicle was in for other service issues. Both the Service Advisor and the Technician confirmed that they heard the rattle, although I was concerned the opposite would occur. I always worry that I am being either too sensitive or just crazy with something like this. It turns out the Technician uncovered two broken clips that hold the A/C vent in place in the dashboard. They believe this is the source of the rattle and have ordered replacement clips.

As an aside, I appreciate everyone's posts on this forum. I have been scouring the internet for ideas on what the rattle could be and it was helpful to hear of the experience others might have had on the same issue (although perhaps from a different cause).