Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
Mid trashed. Now what can i do?

I was trying to put a new ribbon on the unit and I pulled off contacts on the display (hard Tape).
So now what. Is there a place to get these ? Model 65828384929.
No DSP and it has BC. Can i use a different model?
Can i use a different head unit all together. 2000 540i
I would like so stay stock, but if another is plug and play.....OK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	364030  
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Check here: http://www.vdorepair.com/

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Im looking for one that i can get that i dont have to send this one in. That site only repairs. Shipping from Canada would kill and make it not worth while.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM

How important are the Model #'s Can i use one with the same (exact) buttons?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Might want to research and compare part numbers here: www.realoem.com

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Tons of these on ebay, search ebay!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I do not know the answer to the question, but, maybe it's in one of these threads found by typing /mid F3 in the bestlinks:

- What are 'all' options when your instrument cluster or MID pixels slowly die due to a press-fit pink electrical-connection tape lifting off its contacts over time (1) & how to remove the E39 instrument cluster (1) (2) & a summary of the BMW NA cluster-repair goodwill policy (1) & how to fix the MID pixels yourself (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to remove the MID (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & how to test the MID (1) & how to read the mileage from the key if you can't read the cluster display (1)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Tons of these on ebay, search ebay!
I know, but only one that has my model #. question is ....can i use a different one with the same buttons.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i/6
Hey there - I just changed the ribbons in my MID + Cluster over the last couple weeks.

I had the same experience - pulled away the ribbon, and tore off the last 5 contacts!

The good news is, you're actually ok! (as long as you haven't used any liquids or sandpaper on the LCD) The 'contacts' you pulled off are actually the leftovers of the ribbon. The traces on the LCD are nearly invisible; they look a "stain" or a shadow leftover from the contacts you thought you just tore off, but they are the actual trace! Clean it up well with no traces of the ribbon left (pun intended) and you'll be good. Just DON'T use any liquid or abrasives on the LCD! I warmed the LCD under a halogen desk lamp and used an old credit card to scrape away the remains of the ribbon. It still took a looong time but I have 100% of my pixels working now. No liquids, no abrasives, right?

Cheers,
JP

Last edited by Runner303; 02-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner303 View Post
Hey there - I just changed the ribbons in my MID + Cluster over the last couple weeks.

I had the same experience - pulled away the ribbon, and tore off the last 5 contacts!

The good news is, you're actually ok! (as long as you haven't used any liquids or sandpaper on the LCD) The 'contacts' you pulled off are actually the leftovers of the ribbon. The traces on the LCD are nearly invisible; they look a "stain" or a shadow leftover from the contacts you thought you just tore off, but they are the actual trace! Clean it up well with no traces of the ribbon left (pun intended) and you'll be good. Just DON'T use any liquid or abrasives on the LCD! I warmed the LCD under a halogen desk lamp and used an old credit card to scrape away the remains of the ribbon. It still took a looong time but I have 100% of my pixels working now. No liquids, no abrasives, right?

Cheers,
JP
Wish i knew this before i sent it in for a $160 rebuild.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennt771 View Post
I know, but only one that has my model #. question is ....can i use a different one with the same buttons.
Have never seen this posted except by me! If your mid has the EXACT same buttons on the right side of the mid, it is interchangeable with yours regardless of the part number and there is NO PROGRAMMING ever needed.

As an example, a guy bought a mid that matched his exactly, but the connectors were different. He had a 2001 540 with DSP and bought a mid from a 2003 or MAYBE (not sure) even a 2004 X5. Units were identical except that the X5 mid connector was different from the Mid male pigtail connector on his 540. One was black and one was white. I needed a mid and the buttons were the exact same 6 not 5, etc. I knew it would work, but he did not and actually went and bought another MID! His loss, my gain.

BMW is famous for changing part numbers or connectors to make parts appear to not be compatable, when they are. Here is what the deal was. BMW had put a larger connector "shell" around the inner connector which was white as I recall. So, there was a totally useless outer black sheel encapsulating the smaller and correct white connector. It was not the same connector that would use the pivoting "strap" on the connector that locks the connectors together. Use a small screw driver and just remove the outer black shell that hides the inner connector. It will slide right off. Toss it away. You will now have a white connector in your hand that is actually a tad small for the female on your mid, but the pins will line up perfectly and will not fall off or become disconnected just because the pivoting strap in gone. If the MIDs have same exact buttons on right side as yours, they will interchage. If you run into a connector issue with one connector larger than the receiver, look for a connector inside a connector and remove the outer one BMW obviously put there to keep people from interchageability/compatability issues which might prevent you from buying new. They need $$$MONEY$$$
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennt771 View Post
I bought a different MID off eBay and used it without problem. My car is an 02, non-DSP and the original MID upper right (audio & DSP) & lower right (clock & BC) button had the two switch option. The replacement has the single switch option for the upper right (Audio only) and lower right (clock only). The replacement was seamless.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM
resident, old fart

When you buy a mid that has different buttons, you just run the chance that depending on what option you have as far as a high DIC or low DIC, you might not be able to reset certain functions. Mine has six buttons. If I bought one that has fewer, I can guarantee that there will be functions that I have that I will not be able to reset, zero out MPG, etc. As long as they read the same, you can not go wrong. I donm't understand how you have a car that has no DSP yet you have a Mid that says DSP on it. You follow your own suspicion. I'm just telling you that if they are marked identical, but the connectors won't mate, don't go thinking you have no options because you do!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
When you buy a mid that has different buttons, you just run the chance that depending on what option you have as far as a high DIC or low DIC, you might not be able to reset certain functions. Mine has six buttons. If I bought one that has fewer, I can guarantee that there will be functions that I have that I will not be able to reset, zero out MPG, etc. As long as they read the same, you can not go wrong. I donm't understand how you have a car that has no DSP yet you have a Mid that says DSP on it. You follow your own suspicion. I'm just telling you that if they are marked identical, but the connectors won't mate, don't go thinking you have no options because you do!
I could never understand why my original MID had the DSP button when the car did not have DSP but it did. WRT to the BC, you lose the ability to control it from the MID. You must use the stalk on the steering column to control it. Other than that, there were no functional differences. All I am saying is that I got a MID with a different button configuration and had no compatibility issues with using it.

As with any advice you receive on this forum, historical performance is no guarantee of future performance and your results may differ. The author posts this for informational purposes only and accepts no responsibility or liability for his actions!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
resident, old fart

understand, but your car did not have DSP which is a MAJOR difference.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Actually, I may have been mistaken (it was 4 years ago). My original MID may have only had the single button in the upper right like the OP's (see picture in post 1). For some reason, I remember having a DSP button but that may have been on my previous e39 (which also did not have DSP). As an older guy, I'll take the memory mulligan.