Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39
Strange alarm issue, goes off when using the remote button

Every time when I use the remote button to lock the car, the alarm will goes off when unlock it will the button, but not with the key. But if I lock the car with the key, the alarm will not goes off when I unlock it with the key or using the button. Checked the hood switch, nothing wrong with it, same case apply when the hood switch is unplug.
Battery is good at 13+ volt and alternator is charging properly. Anyone had this issue before and found out how it fix it?

thanks in advance,
Ed
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Sounds like a problem with the security system. Will probably need a BMW diagnostic computer to interrogate the system.

How long does the alarm run when you open remotely?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM

When the alarm goes off, it will run for like 45 seconds...roughly.

It started off doing it once in a while until this week it goes off every time when I use the remote bottom to unlock the car. Then I stop using the button and use the key instead, it will shut up, and using the key to lock, then unlock it with the button is fine as well.

One thing I forgot to mention, in a short period of time, if I lock the door with the remote button and unlock it, the alarm will not goes off, but I had not test the time frame of it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
I had a similar, but reversed situation. When I used my key in the door, it would set off my alarm. I had to use my key because it is no longer charging. (I am a little upset about that since I had to buy this key in the last month because my last one was not charging. Looks like it's not the key, but something else.)

I pulled the alarm system fuse and it went off. But, after putting it back, I no longer had a problem. I have no idea what that did to the alarm system, but it no longer goes off when I use the key to unlock my car.

'01 540i 6-Speed
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 AM

I agreed, no it is not the keys, I had 3 sets of keys and they all do the same thing, I had tried re-setting it, still happens, pull the battery for over 3 hours, no luck. If I lock it and unlock it right away, the alarm will not goes off, I think there is something wrong with the system after the car goes to sleep. I will try your trick, but seems like there is a bunch of fuses related to the alarm, which one did you take out?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 AM

I believe it was Fuse #48 (Anti-theft alarm system), which is a 5amp one.

'01 540i 6-Speed
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Have you paid attention to the red LED (clown nose) to see if it is telling you that one of the monitors is not working?

There are a series of flashes that indicate if the alarm is set and if there's an issue....see the chart below...then take note of all the situations that have been presented. Check right after arming the system (manually & remotely) and also check the red LED BEFORE disarming the DWA system (manually & remotely). You might be able to tell if the alarm is going to sound off:

Remember the key has 3 features...EWS/FZV/DWA....the problems presented in this thread seem to be DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) related...not EWS or FZV. Although FZV (central locking system) hasn't been ruled out yet.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 AM

Great tips, QSilver7! I do had the Rapid flashing of the indicator.
I will check all those sensors an see if it works, and report back.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 AM

OK, here is an update, checked 4 doors and hood sensor, re-try the remote button. Now the rapid flashing is gone. I was able to not have the alarm goes off this morning. But there are 2 other times the alarm will still goes off. It is kind of strange, the alarm did not goes off right away like it use to be, there is some delay for 2-3 seconds before it goes off, it's like you thought it was fixed, then it just comes right back.

As I recalled, there was once I got the seat belt stuck betweens the door and the body and ever since it start doing it. See how it goes tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Now I notices that the alarm will not goes of when I press the remote button, it will goes off after I open the door.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Here is the latest updated, I had not use the remote key to lock the car for a while, but decided to try it again last week and now it is working properly. My guess is one of the door's switch is acting up.and here is what I did.
I did not replace anything, just checked all 4 doors switch the hood switch and open and close the trunk a few times. And used the remote to lock the door and unlock it, then the alarm goes off again( not a surprise). For some reason, when the alarm is still going off, I decided to stick the key in the IGN and turned it to position II, then miracle happened, the alarm shut itself, and ever since the remote button is working properly.

BTW, special thanks to Q for the hint for checking the lights at the mirror for error.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Glad you got it fixed. Now if I can only figure out why my panic button does not work, it would be great.

'01 540i 6-Speed