Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
NNR I'm interested :-)
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i 5SP/e60 530i
I should be doing the same. My cars also going through major maintenance/mods but to make it last another 100-150k
Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Just picked up on Ebay.... from Circuit Motor Sports, in fact.. BC Racing BR Series Coilovers w/ Free Shipping and Free Rear Extenders for $995.00 :-)

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Way to go sir. Ordered mine last week but it's going to take a while bc I opted for the swift upgrade.
Pretty exciting
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Cool... now I can "Dump" my ride, yo!

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Functionality for me
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlova78 View Post
Functionality for me
Not me yo....I only cizare bout da stance!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM

you need wider rims. I'm thinking 18x10 square
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlova78 View Post
you need wider rims. I'm thinking 18x10 square
On the way...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
On the way...
Lotta mods. Where are the upgrades?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Lotta mods. Where are the upgrades?
Your question is a little vague. What would you consider an "upgrade"?

How about the shocks.. The springs... The sway bars... The control arm bushings... The wheels.. ? Please enlighten me on what your comment intends?

Last edited by Albo; 02-08-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Got a UPS shipment today:

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM

BC coilovers and now this?
I'M DONE!!
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 PM

Crime of passion.... much more to come. ;-)

Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Ok. Came down with a bug late last week that precluded me from spending any time in the garage. I plan to finish rearranging the garage during the week and then begining tear down of the Storm Trooper on Saturday morning.

Here's the plan for Day 1:

Drain Oil & Coolant

Remove:

Radiator
Expansion Tank
Hoses
Thermostat
Waterpump
Pullies/Tensioner
Belts

Remove Valve Cover
Remove Spark Plugs
Remove CCV
Remove Oil Filter Housing
Remove Vanos Unit

Day 2:

Rebuild Vanos Unit w/ Beisan System's Vanos Seals
Reinstall Vanos Unit with new oil supply line, O-Rings and gasket
Install new CCV w/ new lines
Reinstall Oil Filter Housing w/ new gasket
Install new Spark Plugs
Reinstall Valve Cover with new gakset

Install EMP Stewart Waterpump
Install new Thermostat Housing
Install Rogue Engineering Underdrive Pullies
Install new Tensioner, Idle Pullies and Belts
Install new Coolant Hoses
Install Zionsville Super Cooling Kit (figure out how to wire this sucker up).

Fill with oil and coolant and look for leaks!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Assuming first round of work is gold...

Day 3 (Front)

Disconnect Swarbar Endlinks
Remove Bilstein Sport Shocks and Eibach Springs.
Remove Calipers and Caliper Brackets
Remove Rotors
Remove Front Wheel Bearings

Install new Front Wheel Bearings
Install new Front Rotors
Install new UUC Stainless/Siicone Brake Lines
Reinstall Calipers
Install BC Racing Coilovers

Day 3 (Rear):

Remove Rear Calipers and Brackets
Remove Rear Rotors
Remove Rear Bilsteins and Eibachs

Install BC Racing Coilovers
Install new Rear Rotors
Install UUC Stainless/Silicone Brake Lines
Reinstall Calipers

Bleed and Bed Brakes

Switch CK's to RK's & Alignment to M5 specs!!

Last edited by Albo; 02-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM

wow good luck with everything, its going to feel like a new car after!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 540i
Hey Albo, hope you are feeling better. We're having another meet & drive on 03/30/13, hope you can make it:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664056

Last edited by s2kpunisher; 02-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Quote:
Ok. Came down with a bug late last week that precluded me from spending any time in the garage. I plan to finish rearranging the garage during the week and then begining tear down of the Storm Trooper on Saturday morning.

Here's the plan for Day 1:

Drain Oil & Coolant

Remove:

Radiator
Expansion Tank
Hoses
Thermostat
Waterpump
Pullies/Tensioner
Belts

Remove Valve Cover
Remove Spark Plugs
Remove CCV
Remove Oil Filter Housing
Remove Vanos Unit

Day 2:

Rebuild Vanos Unit w/ Beisan System's Vanos Seals
Reinstall Vanos Unit with new oil supply line, O-Rings and gasket
Install new CCV w/ new lines
Reinstall Oil Filter Housing w/ new gasket
Install new Spark Plugs
Reinstall Valve Cover with new gakset

Install EMP Stewart Waterpump
Install new Thermostat Housing
Install Rogue Engineering Underdrive Pullies
Install new Tensioner, Idle Pullies and Belts
Install new Coolant Hoses
Install Zionsville Super Cooling Kit (figure out how to wire this sucker up).

Fill with oil and coolant and look for leaks!
Hope you post some pics along the way.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWayJose View Post
wow good luck with everything, its going to feel like a new car after!
That's what I'm aiming for! Maybe I'll start with the suspension so we can do that thing we talked about.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kpunisher View Post
Hey Albo, hope you are feeling better. We're having another meet & drive on 03/30/13, hope you can make it:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664056
I should have the car back together by then!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
Hope you post some pics along the way.
That is absolutely the plan. I may not do a full blown DIY about any of this, but I will document all of it!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm aiming for! Maybe I'll start with the suspension so we can do that thing we talked about.
works for me I'm ready
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Progress!! I opened the box!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 AM

put them in alreadyyy