Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-29-2011, 06:07 PM
bigmacslim bigmacslim is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
2008 535i Auto Sensing Wipers

Okay fellow bimmers, I just got this '08 535i and it seems the rain sensing wipers do not work. When I switch them on they are on a 6 second delay if the windshield is dry or wet. When I adjust the sensitivity wheel it does not seem to change the 6 second intermittent. Any ideas? The wipers should turn on and off automatically when the shield is wet but this does not occur. As soon as I turn on the auto wipers it sets the wipers to a 6 second delay (I know this from counting).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Sloan165 Sloan165 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, WA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2006 530i
If you have an intermittant delay the previous owner may have disconnected the rain sensor. Do your automatic headlights work?
__________________
2006 530i TitanGrau, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Sport Seats, Heated Front Seats, Rear Power Shade, Steptronic
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
brettski69 brettski69 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: '09 535i; bought back
By any chance has the windshield been replaced? Mine was on my '09 and it caused my lane departure warning system to have fits. It took the dealer all day to recalibrate the sensor, which is located right next to the rain sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM
GeorgeT's Avatar
GeorgeT GeorgeT is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seneca, SC
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,020
Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacslim View Post
Okay fellow bimmers, I just got this '08 535i and it seems the rain sensing wipers do not work. When I switch them on they are on a 6 second delay if the windshield is dry or wet. When I adjust the sensitivity wheel it does not seem to change the 6 second intermittent. Any ideas? The wipers should turn on and off automatically when the shield is wet but this does not occur. As soon as I turn on the auto wipers it sets the wipers to a 6 second delay (I know this from counting).

Thanks.
They do not turn on "automatically" you must push the button on the end of the wiper stalk to activate the rain sensing feature.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 AM
bigmacslim bigmacslim is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Thank for the replies. the automatic headlamps do work. I know how to activate the rain sensing feature but it acts like a standard intermittent wipe amd does not automatically change speed. Do you know how to see if the auto feature has been disconnected?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
bigmacslim bigmacslim is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Im not sure about it being replaced. I bought it CPO. It appears the.glass near the sensor is cracked right where the mirror meets the windshield. That might be a problem. I really cant tell.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 PM
brettski69 brettski69 is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: '09 535i; bought back
This is why we pay more for CPO. If it were me, I'd head straight to the dealer and have them either demonstrate that the system works, or have them replace the glass. Heck, they should replace the glass anyway. I don't have a CPO checklist but I doubt that cracked glass is OK.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:32 AM
midair midair is online now
Registered User
Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 2008 - 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski69 View Post
I don't have a CPO checklist but I doubt that cracked glass is OK.
Attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_CPO_Vehicle_Inspection_Checklist.pdf (221.4 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Sloan165 Sloan165 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, WA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacslim View Post
Thank for the replies. the automatic headlamps do work. I know how to activate the rain sensing feature but it acts like a standard intermittent wipe amd does not automatically change speed. Do you know how to see if the auto feature has been disconnected?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
From what I have read here you should be able to unsnap the housing were the sensor is on the windscreen and check to see if it is unconnected. I thought that I had read that if you did unhook the sensor connector then your automatic lights would not work but I have yet to crack mine open.
__________________
2006 530i TitanGrau, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Sport Seats, Heated Front Seats, Rear Power Shade, Steptronic
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
MikesE39's Avatar
MikesE39 MikesE39 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 874
Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
normaly you have to place the arm that turns them on to a certain position, but if you say there is a 6 second delay on the manual turn on then there is a problem. thts very uncommon because my car is 5 yrs older than urs and they still work lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
STR8 6 STR8 6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Anchorage, AK
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: e46 325xi, e61 535xiT
2008 535xiT Wagon Auto Sensing Wipers

I have the same problem. Just bought a used 2008 e61 with ~40k mi from a dealership in Boulder, drove it to Seattle and shipped it to Alaska. On the road trip, realized there's no delay available - they're either activated individually (when I push down) or continuous (push up, control speed with toggle). When I push "in" the "A" (automatic) toggle (green 'active' light comes on), they wipe once and never wipe again, even when I toggle the speed control. Rain or snow fall doesn't make a difference. SO frustrated I don't have a delay!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,172
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8 6 View Post
I have the same problem. Just bought a used 2008 e61 with ~40k mi from a dealership in Boulder, drove it to Seattle and shipped it to Alaska. On the road trip, realized there's no delay available - they're either activated individually (when I push down) or continuous (push up, control speed with toggle). When I push "in" the "A" (automatic) toggle (green 'active' light comes on), they wipe once and never wipe again, even when I toggle the speed control. Rain or snow fall doesn't make a difference. SO frustrated I don't have a delay!
No expert in wipers, so I'd check the manual for complete operation features.

But, on mine, stalk 1-click up to activate delay, another click up on stalk to enter continuous mode.

Speed and rain sensing activates through the push button at the end of the stalk, then adjust sensitivity using the dial-click at the end of the stalk(next to the push button).
That's the same on all newer BMW as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Campfamily's Avatar
Campfamily Campfamily is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,286
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
No expert in wipers, so I'd check the manual for complete operation features.

But, on mine, stalk 1-click up to activate delay, another click up on stalk to enter continuous mode.

Speed and rain sensing activates through the push button at the end of the stalk, then adjust sensitivity using the dial-click at the end of the stalk(next to the push button).
That's the same on all newer BMW as far as I can tell.
what do you mean by 1 click up to activate delay? Does this turn your wipers on intermittent? On my car, one click up turns the wipers on low speed, two clicks is high speed. One click down is single swipe, hold it to repeat swipes. Push the button on the end of the stalk for auto function. I do not know of a setting for intermittent (wish I did). Also, I don't think the automatic function for the headlights is linked to the wipers, the sensors are in different spots. The wiper sensor is tied to the function with the brakes that periodically pulses to keep water from building up on the brake rotors.
__________________
2008 550i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, 6MT, Sport Package, Nav, Logic7, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Folding Rear Seats, iPod
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,172
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
what do you mean by 1 click up to activate delay? Does this turn your wipers on intermittent? On my car, one click up turns the wipers on low speed, two clicks is high speed. One click down is single swipe, hold it to repeat swipes. Push the button on the end of the stalk for auto function. I do not know of a setting for intermittent (wish I did). Also, I don't think the automatic function for the headlights is linked to the wipers, the sensors are in different spots. The wiper sensor is tied to the function with the brakes that periodically pulses to keep water from building up on the brake rotors.
I meant push the stalk lever once upward.

Maybe I am wrong, to me when I do this the wipe motion pause in between sweep (like intermitent with delay), w/o the auto-sensing turn on off course.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM
st1sj st1sj is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: 08 Honda S2k; 09 BMW 550i
On my 2009 550i, there is no intermittent wiper option. The wipers work 5 ways: (1) normal speed with intermittment when car is stationary; (2) faster speed; (3) auto rain sensor (4) brief wipe; or (5) cleaning windshield. It is on page 69 of the owner's manual.

I too, wish there is an intermittent option!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,305
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8 6 View Post
I have the same problem. Just bought a used 2008 e61 with ~40k mi from a dealership in Boulder, drove it to Seattle and shipped it to Alaska. On the road trip, realized there's no delay available - they're either activated individually (when I push down) or continuous (push up, control speed with toggle). When I push "in" the "A" (automatic) toggle (green 'active' light comes on), they wipe once and never wipe again, even when I toggle the speed control. Rain or snow fall doesn't make a difference. SO frustrated I don't have a delay!
They don't have a real "delay" option regardless, which is one of my biggest complaints on this car.

It's either on - low, on - high or automatic (which always has them wiping too often for me. I hate windshield wipers). The adjustment is supposed to adjust sensitivity to when they wipe, but the lowest setting isn't low enough for me.

They need to have at least an option for a real "intermittent" mode like every other car ever
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
burnie35's Avatar
burnie35 burnie35 is offline
Old Timer (Really)
Location: The Villages, Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 352
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
I'm completely satisfied with the way the wipers work!
__________________

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 PM
njlou njlou is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
I'm completely satisfied with the way the wipers work!
Same here!! The rain sensor is designed to be an intermittant - and when there is a sudden change, it accomodates with higher speed or lower speed (or off) totally automatically. The dial/wheel adjusts sensitivity. Normal intermittant will not change until you reset it.
I agree that the prime suspect may be a replaced windshield or even a bad sensor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms