Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Gran Turismo
Hello all. I finally spoke with a BMW rep (non corporate) by phone today. He took information about my issue and assured me the information would be forwarded to the corporate office. I asked what happens after that and was told BMW Corporate would talk to the dealership, it would be handled as an internal matter. I inquired if I would be provided with information on the outcome of the talk and was told it would be handled as an internal matter...... LOL... SMH.... Will wait a week or so to see if I hear anything from the dealership..... Then on to Plan B and after that, wash my hands of BMW and this experience forever. Thanks for all the comments and views. Even though this didn't work out for me, I know the passion owners have for their GTs so I wish you all the best with many years of enjoyment.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I have followed this thread with great interest and am dismayed that you were, in effect, driven away. I agree with the sentiment that you were ill-served by your dealer and then by higher BMW headquarters. My wife has had her 335 for a year and I have had my GT since mid-March and we have had no dealer issues at all. It is a first-class operation. I hope that continues.

Good luck with your Lexus and we will miss you on this forum once you have reached the end of your dealings with BMW.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
After reading this thread about cracked wheels I did a visual inspection of the outside of the wheels and found nothing. I was having vibration issue at about 50-60 MPH and brought the car in for 15K service and that vibration issue. Asked them to check for cracks. Turned out they replaced 3 bent wheels. I do have the tire/wheel insurance plan so there was no charge. I was shocked by their findings. The car rides quite smoothly now. Be aware of this possibility with your wheels. My combination is 19” RF tires and wheels.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Gran Turismo
Thank you Fish23 and good luck to you too. Mikez38, I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue and you're enjoying your car again. I think anyone with the 19" with RF tire combo should have them checked periodically because as you experienced (and also mine with cracks), a visually inspection from the outside won't reveal a problem.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I dumped my 2011 535xi GT after13 months and 9K miles due to all the electrical glitches and the "can't fix" attitudes of the BMW dealers. One dealer could not fix the VANOS system and told me "BMW was working on it" after returning the vehicle unfixed. Same dealer sold us our 2010 GT with a majoir recall outstanding, unfixed. I found out the 2011 was programmed with 2010 software which took almost three days to correct. Car was in numerous times for reliability issues and each time I was told it was a "low voltage" issue. As said above, this is not necessarily only a xDrive issue, but the more equipment you have, the more issues arise. And, taking a long trip does not reduce the likelihood you will have an electrical failure related to low voltage. As explained by the service manager, the battery can go to a low voltage condition and even if you then drive several hundred miles (I drove 400 miles) the battery will not charge to the level required to meet the electrical system demands, especially if the miles are highway cruising. And, did you know that it takes an hour for the car to go to sleep following driving? Service manager says on many models, for all systems to shut down, it can take that long, and that sucks battery power.

Today, our 2010 535i GT (no xDrive) is in for problems and has been for two days, We'll likely get it back tomorrow. Manager says the left turn signal that was out, but started working, was not really "out" but was a result of low voltage, which after an oil change, resulted in deleting all radio stations, contacts, phone numbers and setting up the adaptive headlights to fail as well as a host of other electrical failures. (Maybe someone left the inside lights on or?) After a full day of testing, the dealer could not find the problem, excxept to finally admit under pressure, that after charging the battery and leaving it on the charger, all systems were able to be reset and the car "appears fine." But that doesn't fix the problem because it needs additional charge test cycles and validation.

Interesting, BMW America's protocol on this is that your battery is to be charged for 8 hours, let sit for 8 hours, charged again for 8 hours and then sit again for 8 hours and a final charge applied. That is if the battery isn't a dud with a bad cell or something that precludes charging at all. They would rather you be without the car for two or more likely three days and spend all this time, than install a new battery under warranty.We were told today that BMW believes this is more economical for them than the cost of a new battery.Talk about f**king the customer who buys a 75K car that's one or two years old. No consideration of the time and inconvenience for the customer at all. Lip service and bullcrap, that's about all. (The 2011 was dumped at 13 months for the same continuing issues)

Sadly, I loved the 2011. But I can't be saddled with unreliability that tells me the differential failed, the car won't start if shut off, the vehicle has overheated, key fob not in car, etc. ad nauseum. To the credit of Dodge, when a brake light switch stuck, they replaced it easily and no problem replacing the battery on a new car. I know the cars are not in the same class dollar wise, but it shows you the mentality...change the battery on a 36K car and have the customer out in an hour or screw around for three days and on a 75K car and hope the ustomer will return for another one. Sure...that will hapen. Four BMW's and we're all done.

Finally, BMW America doesn't give a rat's behind about the consumer. They'll tell you they'll look into an issue but they won't bother. Internal investigations mean to shut out the consumer so they can do nothng. I brought my vehicle problems to BMW America and they never even bothered to call me. Said it was a problem best handled by the dealer as it was under warranty. Like I didn't know it was under warranty. I pity the poor owners who keep these when the warranty runs out and the uber engineered systems crash. Look out for the bills then.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
what did u buy in return
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Ive some you can talk to direct in the upper office at bmw if you like
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyd View Post
what did u buy in return
A Dodge Challenger R/T Classic with a 6 speed and a Hemi. No problems, no hassles. Brake light switch went bad and battery drained, dealer replaced the switch and the battery, said the battery shouldn't simply be recharged on a brand new car. Wow..service with a smile. Certainly not the luxury of the GT but runs very well, comfortable, fast and has all the amenities I wanted including a nav system that I can actually see clearly and a bluetooth phone that is the easiest that I have ever used. Touchscreen is excellent. Very pleased with my first non-BMW in years.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 35i, 2013 535iGT
I had to take BMW to arbitration to get them to stand behind their wheels.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764312

Anyway, for some reason now considering a 535i GT, but of course only with 18" wheels. Also thinking about a three year lease since we will not be driving it much. Although I am sure there can be traps when you return them.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Now the 2010 GT is also gone

Well, following the debacle with the low voltage issue on the 2010 GT, my spouse decided she had enough. So, she drove the GT to the local Land Rover dealership and bought a 2013 Land Rover LR4 . While we were there, I liked it so much, I traded in the 2012 Challenger on a 2013 Range Rover. Not saying we might not have problems of some sort, but it won't be inside a BMW dealership!

To be completely honest, we loved everything about the GT's except the gremlins in the electrical sytem. Both vehicles, different model years, same story, no matter how many miles we drove. And when the dealer says you need to keep them on a charger when not being driven, my answer is that if I wanted an electric car, I would have purchased one. I had pangs letting the Challenger go, but my left knee is, like my back, shot and as much as I loved the muscle car, pumping the clutch in rush hour traffic (read 18 hours a day in Southern California) it was becoming painfully clear that love affair was coming to an end.

To all of you with GT's...we wish you many miles of motoring pleasure. May the electrical gremlins go anywhere else but to your garage. May your dealer have the roundel of paradise fly up their wherever so they don't touch under your hood except for normal maintenance, as I am convinced they don't have a clue what the factory has really built. Once they plug in the computer, it sucks the knowledge out of their brain and your poor GT becomes prey to all sorts of new problems it never had before the trip to the dealer.

A beautiful machine, over engineered, way too complicated for most of the service people, and built by a company that fails to admit their mistakes and take ownership for their faults. That is sad as BMW is a world leader in great machines...but that won't last long as you can't sell people over and over again without satisfaction and service.

Cheers and be safe out there.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
magnum, sorry to see you go. In my mind your problems should have been resolvable with some dealer competency. Enjoy your Rovers.....
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Well, following the debacle with the low voltage issue on the 2010 GT, my spouse decided she had enough. So, she drove the GT to the local Land Rover dealership and bought a 2013 Land Rover LR4 . While we were there, I liked it so much, I traded in the 2012 Challenger on a 2013 Range Rover. Not saying we might not have problems of some sort, but it won't be inside a BMW dealership!

To be completely honest, we loved everything about the GT's except the gremlins in the electrical sytem. Both vehicles, different model years, same story, no matter how many miles we drove. And when the dealer says you need to keep them on a charger when not being driven, my answer is that if I wanted an electric car, I would have purchased one. I had pangs letting the Challenger go, but my left knee is, like my back, shot and as much as I loved the muscle car, pumping the clutch in rush hour traffic (read 18 hours a day in Southern California) it was becoming painfully clear that love affair was coming to an end.

To all of you with GT's...we wish you many miles of motoring pleasure. May the electrical gremlins go anywhere else but to your garage. May your dealer have the roundel of paradise fly up their wherever so they don't touch under your hood except for normal maintenance, as I am convinced they don't have a clue what the factory has really built. Once they plug in the computer, it sucks the knowledge out of their brain and your poor GT becomes prey to all sorts of new problems it never had before the trip to the dealer.

A beautiful machine, over engineered, way too complicated for most of the service people, and built by a company that fails to admit their mistakes and take ownership for their faults. That is sad as BMW is a world leader in great machines...but that won't last long as you can't sell people over and over again without satisfaction and service.

Cheers and be safe out there.
To the man who did it his way - and has the T-shirt with the bullet holes to prove it....Zicke, zacke, zicke, zacke,. hoi, hoi, hoi. Prost!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Did I read that correctly? You traded the Charger after less than a year of ownership and bought a Land Rover? If your wife bought an LR4, what did you buy? Truthfully I've had my eye on the LR4s for over 5 years but can't get past the horrible gas mileage and bottom of the list reliability along with Jaguar and Hummer. I am certainly not saying BMW have a stellar reliability record but I've owned three and will visit the dealership for the first time next week to repair proximity and park sensors that all of a sudden stopped working. I will say the LR4 is a stunning SUV and for the record, I am officially envious of your wife.

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Wow. There are absolutely no problems known over here in Germany and we run those cars highspeed on the Autobahn. I have no idea what kinda rims they sell you over there. Maybe they are made in China. I suppose you had original BMW rims. Never get any aftermarket rims for this car. Itīs not a Toyota.

Last edited by FredM; 08-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
A big pothole is a rarity from my time in Germany...they happen all the time in the USA, more so in the northern states that experience freeze/thaw cycles. One of the effects of the taxes you pay on fuel...Germany actually seems to use them to keep the roads in good shape...they're much lower here, and the roads show it!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
A big pothole is a rarity from my time in Germany...they happen all the time in the USA, more so in the northern states that experience freeze/thaw cycles. One of the effects of the taxes you pay on fuel...Germany actually seems to use them to keep the roads in good shape...they're much lower here, and the roads show it!
Well, I know the Portland OR, Vancouver WA suroundings very well. Lived there for 3 years. But Winter there is almost never below freezing. In Germany (south) it is.
I always thought all the speed bumps may not be good for suspension and front axis. But the rims? This is still just wow to me cause you guys also rarely go faster as 60 or 70 mph.

Over here in Germany the car runs on the Autobahn as fast as you like (partly) and we would have a good amount of accidents when the rim would blow up.

As told, never did hear about BMW rim problems over here and I drive BMW almost for 30 years now. Myself I have the 19" rims installed, in the wintertime I switch to my winter wheels 18".
But I would give BMW dealers in the US hell on earth about it. Maybe just one rim type make problems over there, would not think all their rims are bad.

Last edited by FredM; 08-09-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
We get most of the rim choices available in Germany here. I've had one rim crack and it was an 18" one. It would leak air enough to go flat overnight. I think I may have a bent one now, need to get it checked out, either that, or it threw a weight.

From what I've seen and read, Germany tends to build their roads much more robustly than the typical US road. And, they seem to have more pride in their maintenance. It doesn't hurt when your road taxes are many times greater than ours...the actual price of the raw, refined fuel is similar most places around the world, but you're paying 2.5x more for it - those taxes, if applied to keep the roads functional (don't know if it really works that way), should allow for better maintenance.