Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Location of Wind Screen storage

All,

New to the BMW auto world (have the motorbike). I Just test drove and purchased a pre-owned 07 650i Convert 50k miles and can't wait to bring it home. Is the wind screen stored in the deck-lid that covers the top when closed? Was not aware of the wind screen until later (it wasn't in the trunk). Fingers crossed else I'll be buying one.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Boaf
Ads by Google
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
If you're referring to the metal and mesh type, as opposed to the glass rear window which some consider a wind screen, it comes with a canvas case which I just throw in the trunk. I never use my rear seat, so I just leave the windscreen in place all the time.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
+1 - it may have come with a flat canvas zippered storage case to protect the mesh while its on the trunk/boot.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM

It's an accessory and is purchased separately. In the main forum there are several threads with many positive comments - definitely worth picking up if you don't have one.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 AM

Thanks Greg, I thought it would be an option, was hoping it was standard. Guess I'll search forum for pre-owned or bite the bullet of $545.

Boaf.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
It is pricey, but definately worth the investment. With the top down, the difference in ride quality is particularly noticeable at higher speeds.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM

Yep, I think it will be. I plan on alot of highway driving so will hunt around. Any suggested sites? Again, new to the BMW auto world.

Thanks Patton!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Check EBay and do a Google search. That's how I got mine.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaf 32 View Post
Yep, I think it will be. I plan on alot of highway driving so will hunt around. Any suggested sites? Again, new to the BMW auto world.

Thanks Patton!
I bought mine at the dealer and am certain I paid too much. I spend much of my time on the highway as well, commuting 30 miles each way up and down Rt. 95. Once the temperature hits 55-60 here, I'd keep the top down all the time if I could. With the windows up, windscreen in place, and the heater going, you can keep the cabin quite comfortable. The same is true in the heat - with the windows up and the windscreen in place, you can actually use the air conditioning.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Cool

Thanks shtaka! Looking forward to it.

Boaf
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM

BofA - Just don't pay retail ($545 - $600). Try google and ebay to see if you can pick up a good used one. If not, your best bet is to get a new one with the storage case for $455 on sale from www.getbmwparts.com (OEM online dealer). Good luck.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Thank you. I found one place i will call, $411 plus $89 for the bag but I will follow up with your hyperlink!!! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 635i
Contra View

I am not sure that the mesh wind deflector is needed with the 6 convertible. I think the back windshield does a better job. I had a 1 and a 3 convertible before the 6, and the wind deflector was definitely needed.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 AM

It wouldn't say that it a "necessity" but it definitely works better than just the rear window. IMHO the main benefit of the rear window is if you have backseat passengers and want to put the top down, especially at highway speeds. The rear window helps keep the passengers from being buffeted too much. Or with the top up the rear window is real handy for ventilation, like popping up a sunroof or cracking a window.

As for the windscreen, the biggest benefit is that it eliminates the "reverse vortex" windflow and allows you to actually cool/heat the cabin somewhat, allowing me to drop the top anytime the temps are b/n 50 - 90 degrees. Keep in mind that it also easily folds flat while still installed so that you can get most of the airflow if you want it, or bring it back up if you don't.

Here's a big thread in the main six forum with all the benefits. Although there are a few contra views, the general consensus from vert owners seems to be that the windscreen is well worth the money and definitely improves enjoyability and usability. Give it a try and you might like it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=deflector

Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM

All,

Great feedback, I have ordered the windscreen from this vendor. Let you know If they deliver as they say. This price includes a storage bag. Looking forward to summer!

Thanks.

Boaf

http://tomkinsonbmwparts.com/parts/2...agramCallOut=6
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaf 32 View Post
All,

Great feedback, I have ordered the windscreen from this vendor. Let you know If they deliver as they say. This price includes a storage bag. Looking forward to summer!

Thanks.

Boaf

http://tomkinsonbmwparts.com/parts/2...agramCallOut=6
Great choice, as Greg has said, it is one of the best add-on item you can buy for the convertible.