Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Drove F30 (loaner)

The car is packed with technology however most of it does not enhance the driving experience. It's just stuff. Very cool interesting stuff but nothing game changing. BMW has definitely moved the car from sporty to luxury. The electric steering is no better than what was in the Gen 1 Z4. Sure it has settings but it doesn't give me that buttoned down feeling. Yes I can get that by putting it in Sport mode but I then have to content with the higher rpms.

Materials are nice. Dash seems a little busy but I get it due to the space requirements for the Idrive system. The euro pedestrian regs really have raised the hood. Color will be key for this vehicle. I'm thinking darker greys black.

The I4 is adequate but for the price point I think it is better suited for a 1-series.

I feel for the M3 guys because the car feels almost as big as the E39.

Would I buy a diesel variant? Not sure. With so much electronics that comes standard owning outside warranty would worry me.
Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 02-28-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
I've driven my second F30 loaner and agree - it feels like a poor man's E-class now. Bigger. Definitely a Camry killer but no longer a sports sedan.

They will need to do a bit more work to satisfy the M crowd I think. The bloated, non-creased, front hood takes a lot away from the experience of driving.

Couldn't wait to get back into my more elemental 335d.

PL
Old 03-01-2013, 05:00 AM

UPDATE:

This interior is big. Very nice materials. Idrive screen isn't as big or intrusive as I thought when I first saw photos. BMW used a good color scheme for the screen.

8spd AT is nice. The I4 has good TQ but I still think it has no place in a $55k car. It's a 4 banger afterall and sounds not much different from my old Jetta or Civic I drove 20 yrs ago. Funny I was getting used ti the electric steering but once I picked up my E90 I could only think "thank god for hydraulic steering".

Although the F30 has technology galore I couldn't help but think that I need to keep up with my E90. Consequently I feel better about the $120 PS flush I just paid for. (Car went in for SES related to SCR. No fault found. Tech cleared and drove car for 45 mins)

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 03-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
UPDATE:

This interior is big. Very nice materials. Idrive screen isn't as big or intrusive as I thought when I first saw photos. BMW used a good color scheme for the screen.

8spd AT is nice. The I4 has good TQ but I still think it has no place in a $55k car. It's a 4 banger afterall and sounds not much different from my old Jetta or Civic I drove 20 yrs ago. Funny I was getting used ti the electric steering but once I picked up my E90 I could only think "thank god for hydraulic steering".

Although the F30 has technology galore I couldn't help but think that I need to keep up with my E90. Consequently I feel better about the $120 PS flush I just paid for. (Car went in for SES related to SCR. No fault found. Tech cleared and drove car for 45 mins)

The 8 speed AT is nice, agreed. The electric steering is too numb and soft too. Porsche has reportedly perfected their electric steering to have better feel.

With today's tech, an inline four with counter-rotating balance shafts is just as good and should last as long as any 6 cylinder. BMW's is quite smooth too. But it doesn't have that throaty exhaust sound from previous gasser inline 6's probably due to noise regulations too.

The materials are suspect from my loaner experience: the vinyl is very fragile but soft. Watch the covering of the inside doors where the bin comes out to touch your leg - it will deteriorate. Maybe the leather interior is better, as is usual for BMW. Only VW and Mercedes know how to put a durable vinyl interior into use, IMO.

PL
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post

With today's tech, an inline four with counter-rotating balance shafts is just as good and should last as long as any 6 cylinder. BMW's is quite smooth too. But it doesn't have that throaty exhaust sound from previous gasser inline 6's probably due to noise regulations too.

PL
Agree. Longevity should not be an issue.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
diesel-fitter

Mein Auto: 335D
nice review thx
Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I've had it as a loaner three times so far. Not impressed and I'm always pumped up to get my 335D back.

That electric steering must be for the girls!

I actually thought they had given me a 528 when I first got in.

I think the engine is a sewing machine.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
I've driven an F30 328 only once briefly. Not long enough to assess the steering. While the 4-cyl engine deflinately delivers, just can't get over the fact it sounds like a Honda.