Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
pumps

The VDO pump at least for the cars they imported to the US was OEM. www.autohauaz.com carries them for $155.90 + shipping .Which would be lord knows how much to Africa but it's not to big or heavy so maybe it's OK.Anyway just remember you need the one with the whole new assembly cause the bracket the pump fits in isn't the same .The one I refer to has the whole assembly .
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
Part # 16 12 1 107 414 and GFP251.............at least thats what bavauto says

negative. if you go the walbro route, and get the 255lph pump, you only need 1.
SO if I get this single pump the 255LPH pump then I just replace the external high output pump and then I can get rid of the in tank transfer pump? correct? thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
get one that fits a 76 chevy vega. i did the swap it works and is alot cheaper. normally if you buy the bmw one its the whole damn thing and not just the pump.
so this is the external high output only? can you then just get rid of the in tank transfer pump? hmmm guess you would not know your fuel level without the in tank transfer pump????
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Question Fool pump part numbers please

Thanks for the advice
Now what would the Bosch/VDO part numbers be for:
the Low-pressure high-volume in-tank fuel pump
High-pressure Low-volume frame mounted fuel pump
The High pressure main in-tank pump from the later 325's
I am being specific about Bosch & VDO (both sold through Diesel Electric group SA), as they can be ordered locally.
Without a part number, no order as the chaps behind the counter are not that clued up and hold the customer responsible

Last edited by Nick323; 02-27-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 AM

VDO pump

The VDO pump is the in tank stand alone for the 325i so you can get rid of the external pump make sure you check all your old lines.The rubber bits are almost 30yrs old.VDO #228 220 007001Z Bosch# 05803140709 or 0580453019 the Bosch #s are pump only the VDO is for the complete unit.If they don't find it with the first BMW# try 16 14 1 179 992 which replaces 16 14 1 184 022 there's also a Delco pump that was OEM but why bother, just what you need GM parts on a BMW it's bad enough what they did to the auto trans in E36s and E34s Oh well I guess you have to buy parts from somebody.

Last edited by toybuilder; 02-27-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325Eblue View Post
so this is the external high output only? can you then just get rid of the in tank transfer pump? hmmm guess you would not know your fuel level without the in tank transfer pump????

SO if I get this single pump the 255LPH pump then I just replace the external high output pump and then I can get rid of the in tank transfer pump? correct? thanks
heres how it goes, if you want to keep the 2 pump set up like factory but dont want to spend the $250+ for the intank pump, you can replace the intank with the chevy vega pump. it replaces the pump only, so the level sender is reused and you have to clean the bmw screen.

if you want to do the single pump conversion, then the intank pump is replaced with the 255lph pump. the inline pump gets replaced with fuel hose.

if you were looking into building the motor, i would go the conversion route and run a new fuel line from the tank to the the fuel rail and do an after market fuel filter. i know a few guys ive been talking to (not bmw guys) theyve been upping the fuel line to 1/2-3/4" line for future boosting (since the pressure is there you just need the volume so you dont run the motor lean).
Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Post Fuel delivery thoughts

Toybuilder, thanks for the info I already forwarded it to diesel Electric who repute themselves on being the Bosch VDO agents. I also have access to Pierburg parts...
Would you also have some numbers for the Low pressure lift pump in the tank, please ?

Now for my ideas on the Turbo issue. I have some experience in this having built the Motor for the Kolani Kat 1000 Hp Testarossa world record breaker and some powerful Group C cars and road going monsters, such as my 535 wtih twin turbo's pushing 700 Hp. The latter is still running over 20 years later.
The key is long term reliability and taking weird things into account.
Any High pressure pump needs fuel to cool it
So what I like doing is build a fuel pump packet that sends High Volume with low pressure into a little container so that the High pressure low volume pump is always primed.
The fuel pressure regulator makes sure there is always a flow of fresh clean cold fuel to keep the HPLV pump cold.
Thru G forces resuting from spirited driving the in-tank pump can run sporadically without fuel, which low pressure pumps can kinda live with
Larger pipes make sense, but I normally run 2 pipes to the fuel rail with 2 HP pumps. The 2'nd being triggered when the car comes on power and extra fuel is needed. You can also get resistor switched in-tank pumps that deliver more fuel when needed.

Now, have I have taken this topic far enough off-thread
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Bigger lines

The bigger lines are a good idea plus they'll be new and you'll likely want to go to larger injectors . An adjustable fuel pressure regulator isn't a bad idea either.Heck why not just all out and drop a 4.4l V-8 in with a supercharger and make it really fast.LOL