Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645
blind spot detection

Wanted to get comments on how well the blind spot detection works? Is it easily noticeable? Does anyone know if it is possible to get this as a stand alone option or must it be with the driver assistance package?

Speaking of the driver assistance package, do you guys find the side and top view cameras useful?

Miz
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Get the Driver Assistance Package!

I passed it up and I regret not having the top view cameras - worth the price of the package for those alone. I had an ActiveHybrid 5 loaner recently that was fitted with the system, and it reaffirmed my regret. The top view system is brilliant, particularly in a car like the 6er where you sit so low and have such poor visibility. This car was designed to have techie systems to help the driver. While this might imply that such systems should be standard, they are not. I've coped with the rear camera and front/rear sensors, but I'm often parking too far away from curbs, etc. out of fear of scraping my wheels. The cameras give a wonderful sense of security. It's kinda like xDrive, in my mind. It may not be strictly necessary 95% of the time, but that 5% could be extremely costly. I know it's a tad hyperbolic to compare a scraped rim with flying uncontrollably into a tree, but it's the same idea.

As for blind spot assist, I can happily live without it. The 6er's mirrors are small, but I have never felt like I have a blind spot. Proper positioning of the mirrors is crucial, but they are sufficient, IMO. I prefer GM's system where the lights are in the mirror rather than the "arms" of the mirrors, because I think they're easier to see in the daylight. I saw the system in action when I had the loaner, and I wasn't overly impressed. It was fine and did the job, but I didn't get back in my 6er wishing I had that option (like I did with the top view camera).

If BMW ever makes the top view available as a stand alone, I'd go that route. The system is pricey, but I do fear that my choice may cost me some at resale since some cars 1/4th the price are now being fitted with similar features.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: '09 SL550
I have a convertible with the blind spot detection, and it works as advertised. I would recommend it.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Blind spot: excellent feature. The steering wheel vibrates when you try to turn into incoming traffic. Very effective.
Top view camera: pricelss. Cannot beat that for parking, best car gizmo I've seen in years
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svp66 View Post
Top view camera: pricelss. Cannot beat that for parking, best car gizmo I've seen in years.
Well said and so true.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i; Ferrari F430
I'll find out this week when I take delivery of a MY13 650i coupe. Originally, I wasn't sure about getting this option but the more I read about it the more I was inclinded to check another box for options.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 640i Alpine White
First off I will tell you I can't park for crap!!! Just being honest. But the top view camera is by far my favorite tech piece on my 6. And it's fun to mess with people and tell them it's a satellite that tracks the car haha.
Blind spot: I agrees with gm having it better. If it was in the mirror it would be better. But it doesn't stand out as much as it should.
The lane assist: not a big fan of either. I drove a friends Infiniti fx and when I got close to the line it would beep. I thought it was super annoying. So when I heard that BMW integrated the lane assist with the "vibrating" steering wheel, I was stoked. BUT, IMO, the intensity of the vibration is not enough. At times it feels like a bump in the road. I wish the vibration was a little stronger. Once again that's just my opinion.
My advice: if you could afford it, get it. You rather have and not want it, than to want it and not have it. You can always turn them off if u don't like it.

Hope I've helped.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW M6
Infiniti's blind spot warning light is in the mirror and much easier to see. The visible indicator on the outside of the mirror is inferior and less noticeable and my eyes are focused, as they should be, on the mirrior, not the inside of it. Failboat.

The beeping of the lane departure warning system on the Infiniti (I'm about to turn in my M56x) is annoying. I refer to it as the wife alert system because usually it's beeping when I'm creeping on the outside line of the left lane trying to see around the car in front of me but to her it's the notifcation of an opportunity to say, 'you're all over the place!'
At least in the M6 she doesn't notice the wheel vibrating...yet.

I haven'tr really used the top view camera much but I just got my car a week ago - I'm thinking it will save me from curbing a wheel.

What I don't get is that I while have cameras left/right and in back - why not a front one so I can be sure not to scuff up my lip spolier on a curb? PDC doesn't seem super reliable fot that or I just need more time with it...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
Quote:
Originally Posted by manish500 View Post
Wanted to get comments on how well the blind spot detection works? Is it easily noticeable? Does anyone know if it is possible to get this as a stand alone option or must it be with the driver assistance package?

Speaking of the driver assistance package, do you guys find the side and top view cameras useful?

Miz
As others have noted, the top view camera system is excellent! The Blind Spot Detection systems works as advertised, but the small warning light in the side of the mirror housing is very small, not very bright, hard to see in daylight and does not attract attention unless you are looking at it. The warning light is much more noticeable at night. The steering wheel vibration does help unless you are on a rough patch of road where it's hard to feel. I had an Audi with the same system and they have strip of several LEDs on the mirror housing that strobe very brightly to attract your attention. I've checked with my BMW service center and the brightness of the mirror LEDs are factory set and not field adjustable as the Audi's are.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I know it's a tad hyperbolic to compare a scraped rim with flying uncontrollably into a tree, but it's the same idea.
I'm not sure why, but this line cracked me up
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650ix convertible
My wife's car has the top camera, blind spot avoidance and lane departure warning and mine has none of it. When I am lucky enough to drive her car to fill up the gas tank I never even notice the blind spot avoidance triangles. I think Mercedes does a better job, just my opinion. The lane departure on her car is pretty sensitive and at time annoying. However if you can get them get them. I opted for the LED lights and fog lights on my car with the auto high beam and to me I use that more than the others.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
I had the BSD on my last 6er and hated it. I found the vibration to be more annoying than useful. My in-laws have a volvo that has a light on the inside of the side mirrors that turned on when a car was in your blind spot. I find that far more useful.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
I think the flashing when you try to switch lanes is a nice touch. The one in my range rover might have been a little easier to see since it was in the mirror, but it wouldn't do anything if I tried to switch lanes with a car in my blind spot.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645
is it possible to get the side and top view cameras as a stand alone option? I'm guessing no.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish500 View Post
is it possible to get the side and top view cameras as a stand alone option? I'm guessing no.
Nope - package only.

That could change in the coming years. I definitely would've done it if it were available that way.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Blind spot detection ... I agree with posters: (1) unless you pay close attention the lit triangle is quite dim and (2) its placement on the mirror arm is a poor choice. At the very least, that flashing LED needs to be brighter.
I don't see BMW incorporating it in the mirror - too simple an approach. However, maybe they could make the mirror housing edge a big FLASHING LED.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Rjb

Send a message via AIM to Rjb2468
Mein Auto: 640i Grand Coupe M
IMO all warnings of any sort should be in the Heads Up Display....
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb2468 View Post
IMO all warnings of any sort should be in the Heads Up Display....
This.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by svp66 View Post
Blind spot: excellent feature. The steering wheel vibrates when you try to turn into incoming traffic. Very effective.
Top view camera: pricelss. Cannot beat that for parking, best car gizmo I've seen in years
I second that....no matter how good you think you are, this should be on EVERY car...great feature...especially for those soccer moms who text and drive !!!

I'll wait on the flaming feedback

BMW 2013 650i - (why did I wait so long!)
Maserati 2012 Gran Turismo
Mercedes 1993 300CE
Harley Davidson 2001 Deuce

NSX Sold
MB CL500 Sold (why did I wait so long!)
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I like BSD but there are many ways it could be better implemented. Lane departure is just a slight vibration in the steering wheel which is fine and if you don't like it turn it you can turn it off.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: range rover
The worst part of the BSD is that it only turns on at 40mph or greater. You can code it to 17mph, but not sure why default was 40mph, I feel like I need it most on city streets when the speed limit is 30-35.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
I think they put it on the inside of the mirror so you'll still check the mirror. If it was on the HUD then some people would never check the mirror and just drive by the display.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x-drive
Question: I just ordered a 2014 535d X drive with, among other things, blind spot indicator... Only problem, as everyone says, the light is ridiculously yellow, and when you need it, you're about to be in a MAJOR accident. Does anyone have any idea what it would involve to change at least to a bright blue or lamp?