Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: XC90/Z3M soon
Z3 M Roadster first check ups

hi all
I am waiting my baby from Japan which gonne to be delivered in nearest days. Its 2001 yb with 75k km on the clock and my first qst - what eng is installed? Also, could you please advise - what needs to be inspected by first time? should i pay attention on the cooling system; mean thermostat and expansion tank cap should it be replaced or not?
the car will be used in UAE and therefore and what is a very hot)))) and any special advices regarding are highly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
badolboy

Mein Auto: M ROADSTER
cooling

heat is the enemy! replace the water pump w/ METAL impeller , therm , check hoses and clamps. belts , caps , tanks should be ok .. replace ALL fluids !!! good luck .. i too have all
this to do .. 00 m roasdster 64k.. b.o.b...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badolboy View Post
heat is the enemy! replace the water pump w/ METAL impeller , therm , check hoses and clamps. belts , caps , tanks should be ok .. replace ALL fluids !!! good luck .. i too have all
this to do .. 00 m roasdster 64k.. b.o.b...
Thanks for this)...I have found that rod bearings should be upgraded and doesanybody know -how ican check the eng type (my car prod: 2000 july) and if its s54, how to check that upgrades has been done?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
badolboy

Mein Auto: M ROADSTER
rod bearings ?? i have a lttle noise when cold start..
more info. on this is needed..alot of info. in this forum..
keep me informed on your progress.. B.O.B.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erema View Post
Thanks for this)...I have found that rod bearings should be upgraded and doesanybody know -how ican check the eng type (my car prod: 2000 july) and if its s54, how to check that upgrades has been done?
You can tell if you have an S54 just by looking at it. It looks very different than the S50 engine

S54
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=14

S50
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

Enter your VIN at this site to find out for sure what engine you have

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

The only way to really "know" if the connecting rod bearing work was done is to find out from the previous owner. S54 powered M Coupes and Roadsters were officially excluded from the BMW recall, nominally because our lower redlines protected them from failure, which is BS. Given your production date, your car would be among the first S54 powered cars produced and therefore would be at risk. At least here in North America, some owners managed to get it done on BMW's dime on a case by case basis. Unless you have a particularly tenacious service adviser, I'd be very doubtful that a UAE BMW dealer could get that kind info out of a Japanese dealer (assuming the work was done at a dealer in the first place). You could do an oil analysis and look for higher lead levels that are a clue that the bearings are failing, otherwise to play it safe, just get them changed.

Last edited by KBH22102; 02-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
you may never have a problem with the bearings. if it were me, i'd buy repair insurance and drive it.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for this. I have checked and that is 52 eng, so I am a lucky).
Moreover, I got my car today and hopefully by tomorrow will registered in a police. One problem has been found: difficulties within choosing rear gear; some cracking and needed push out strongly. Does anybody aware about it?
The first and second are changed much more softer and clear.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
if you are having trouble shifting into reverse, it is often due to poor clutch adjustment, worn clutch or warped pressure plate [sometimes due to weak or broken spring].
Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 2.3
lower control arm

I put new tires on my 2000 Z3 2.5 recently. Wanted to get an alignment, theywould not do it and said I have a bad lower control arm (driver side). Can this be possible with only 28,000 miles?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
if you are having trouble shifting into reverse, it is often due to poor clutch adjustment, worn clutch or warped pressure plate [sometimes due to weak or broken spring].
I have got carrrrrr. i cant transmit my fillings; somethink like a bullet...))) but strange...heavy bullet!!!!
I have tried on highway and find the followings: within breaking both seats are move forward,
gear are changed not clear and not smother, itís also not running fast (run till 40000rpm and 90km/h and it was definitely slower than my volvo xc90 able to do (oem specification say - 7 sec till 100km/h).
Also, then wheel are turned to full left or right side and move reverse, there is some bad sound from back as something grinding. I will record and drop this on tube to transmit the exact sound.

So, returning to main problem with transmission, as it can be a clutch and plate, but how to confirm this before garage persons will discharge my pocket? Can it be selector sleeve?
But in general)) I am happy that no any bad paint works and suspension is look fine))) interior is unbelievable clean for such years and only soft top needs to be fixed up as exfoliated from rear window.
I would be very appreciated for any possible inputs to be considered with.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

please!!! I have just returned from garage (they are cheating with me) pushing to replace clutch but i am shure that is fine, as able to start easly from 2nd, 3rd gear and nice pushing wothin driving from 3rf or 4th gear. I think that this is a shift pins and my conclusion are based on the following links

Could u please guide how to be confirm that the problem in the pins? Does anybody survived from other staff?
Also, the front stabilizer (make by arc pipe stabilizer )right bushing need to be replaced, any idea how i can fing part to fix it up? here is the ph of stabilizer
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...05606931716114

Last edited by Erema; 02-23-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM

gents, i have been completely wrong that suspect the gearbox faults. i got nece srvice and no any isses from mech side))), and what was just my wrong fillings)))...
only decoration staff should be corrected... soft top needs to be attention on. Can u pls suggest, how is better to fix up the rear windown as fabric is come off from corners?

Last edited by Erema; 03-02-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: enter url link
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM

Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Happy 202 Z3 2.5i

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 Roadster
Erema,
I am sorry I can not help you with your car question, but you made my day. I am reading in bed and just about feel out of it laughing when I read "So, returning to main problem with transmission, as it can be a clutch and plate, but how to confirm this before garage persons will discharge my pocket?"

Even though English is not your first language, that thought translates well! We all are on the lookout so the garage persons don't discharge our pockets. I wish you the best in getting your questions answered.

2002 2.5i Roadster - EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST BLACK AND WHITE