Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
2013 Impressions 328

Instead of just a test drive, I finally had a chance to drive a new 2013 328 for a few days last week. A few random observations:

Missing the sports seats wasn't as big of a deal as I'd thought it would be, having test driven both.

Is it just me or does the outside temp not show up if you're in Navigation mode?

I hope this isn't true for the MT, which I haven't spent much time in, but the AT seemed underpowered to me. I hadn't expected that at all. Everything I'd read was about all this low end torque and how fast the turbo kicked in. I was a little disappointed. I am now starting to think I may need to push up to a 335, and am feeling disinclined to take the 320 seriously. Perhaps this will be different though if I get a few days in a MT.

If I push to a 335, I'm likely to get DHP and no other option to keep it in budget. So that would mean no xenons (come anyway), no heated seats, no m sport/ sport line.

I loved--LOVED--the bluetooth/technology iDrive stuff.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcruiser View Post
If I push to a 335, I'm likely to get DHP and no other option to keep it in budget. So that would mean no xenons (come anyway), no heated seats, no m sport/ sport .
Don't fret, xenons are standard in a 335i

What were you driving before? It might help explain why you thought the 328 was under powered...
Are you sure you didn't keep it in ECO mode?

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
No sports seats means you are also giving up the sports suspension.

In regards to performance, are you driving in Sport?

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM

I drove it in sport, comfort, and eco. It wasn't that I felt like it wasn't much faster than my current DD, which is an old accord. It was that I thought it wasn't as fast as I expected it to be based on past BMW experiences. Perhaps I just needed my expectations adjusted.

The sports suspension and wheels and color will probably keep me in M-sport land, yes, but I was just surprised at how comfortable the normal non-sports seats were (put 600 miles on the car in 24 hours driving around for business). Anyway, not a deal breaker for me anymore, that's all.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I drove it in sport, comfort, and eco. It wasn't that I felt like it wasn't much faster than my current DD, which is an old accord. It was that I thought it wasn't as fast as I expected it to be based on past BMW experiences. Perhaps I just needed my expectations adjusted.

The sports suspension and wheels and color will probably keep me in M-sport land, yes, but I was just surprised at how comfortable the normal non-sports seats were (put 600 miles on the car in 24 hours driving around for business). Anyway, not a deal breaker for me anymore, that's all.
3400lb car, about 260-270hp and similar torque...yeah, not sure what your expectations would be based on those factors.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Instead of just a test drive, I finally had a chance to drive a new 2013 328 for a few days last week. A few random observations:

Missing the sports seats wasn't as big of a deal as I'd thought it would be, having test driven both.

Is it just me or does the outside temp not show up if you're in Navigation mode?

I hope this isn't true for the MT, which I haven't spent much time in, but the AT seemed underpowered to me. I hadn't expected that at all. Everything I'd read was about all this low end torque and how fast the turbo kicked in. I was a little disappointed. I am now starting to think I may need to push up to a 335, and am feeling disinclined to take the 320 seriously. Perhaps this will be different though if I get a few days in a MT.

If I push to a 335, I'm likely to get DHP and no other option to keep it in budget. So that would mean no xenons (come anyway), no heated seats, no m sport/ sport line.

I loved--LOVED--the bluetooth/technology iDrive stuff.
I bought the 328i and noticed a couple of things in regards to power, the modes make a HUGE difference in power output (sport mode is the strongest and most fun, eco-pro most mileage (I get 1-1.5 MPG better in eco-pro), and the default, comfort, is in-between). Also, the vehicle seems to run better after a couple thousand miles, like it is programming itself in. As far as the manual trans, it is worth 0.2 seconds 0-60 and only a couple tenths less than the 335i. I came from an Acura TL (it has a 3.5 V-6 compared to the 3.2 V-6 in the Accord) and find the power much better than what I had. Some have commented here that the sport trans (paddle shifter) is better yet but I have not tested. The zenons are standard on the 335i. Personally, I would try the manual before you go with a stripped 335i, I had the same idea, a minimally optioned 335 or fully optioned 328i, comfort or power?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 03-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
3400lb car, about 260-270hp and similar torque...yeah, not sure what your expectations would be based on those factors.
Clearly they were unrealistic.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
. . . the modes make a HUGE difference in power output . . .
No, the modes all produce exactly the same power. The difference is solely in the throttle mapping and shift points; how far the foot feed need be pressed for X power. Full throttle is full throttle in each mode, exactly the same on a dyno.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
My recent test drive of a manual trans 328i left me with the same impression of power - that being said I expected a coarser 4-cylinder and quite frankly its one of the finer 4-cyls I've ever driven in terms of smoothness. I never once grinned though when gunning it in sport mode. Perhaps too smooth for it's own good. Waiting for a manual trans 335i to appear nearby for a test drive.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Still can't believe the available on demand power and sheer driving fun of M Sport 3 -- and that it's 4 banger! And although my bucket seats are rotting with rust beneath me I thanks G every time I sit in them for their adjustability, support, and comfort.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
My recent test drive of a manual trans 328i left me with the same impression of power - that being said I expected a coarser 4-cylinder and quite frankly its one of the finer 4-cyls I've ever driven in terms of smoothness. I never once grinned though when gunning it in sport mode. Perhaps too smooth for it's own good. Waiting for a manual trans 335i to appear nearby for a test drive.
I don't think I giggled until the car was tuned. It's physics. 3400lbs and 270hp crank.

I goosed it and even my wife laughed and said how noticeable the power was. She did not pay much attention when I had an 8SPD 335 and drove it like I stole it. Tuned with an exhaust, now we are talking over 300ft lbs of tq to the wheels. That makes for a more fun experience.

$300 and 5 minutes to install the tune. Hard to imagine stock at this point.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM

What part of Jersey are you in? Would love to experience that for 5 minutes - and you can in turn experience ~420hp/370tq (crank) in 4000 pounds with individual throttle bodies if you'd like

I love the fuel economy and weight of the 328i. It handled great, felt great, etc. (steering in sport mode was a little hyperactive but I'm sure I'd get used to it).

The only thing that let me down was the engine and a big part of that was expectations - I was expecting not to really feel a difference compared to a 335 based upon comments/reviews.

If i can get it to 300+ tq and hp with a tune, and it's grin-inducing, then I can earnestly see myself owning it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328i, '03 525
I'm going to chime in here, my first post on this forum.

We took delivery of our '13 328i sedan a week ago and have put about 500 miles on it. It's a luxury line with technology and premium packages.

We traded in our loaded '03 E39 wagon on this car and previously also had a base E90 sedan. This is our fourth BMW - well, fifth, if you count my MCS.

I am astonished at what a leap forward this car is over either of the two cars I've just named. It's taking us a while to come to grips with all the electronics - this thing is a computer with wheels and an engine in rather the same way that a digital camera is a computer that just happens to wear a lens.

The technology package isn't something that everyone needs, I feel sure, but it sure is nice to have - we wanted it because my wife really likes the parking assist function, which works well. But with it you get the head-up display, which is quite nice to have, especially because the nav system is linked to it.

I'm finding the standard, non-sport seats to be very comfortable, though I do miss the side bolsters of the sport seats. That isn't a deal-breaker, though. Just a detail - the mirrors on this new car are much better than on the old ones - the shape is such so that I see much more than I used to. My wife noticed the same thing. Engine supplies plenty of power for my needs, it is much stronger than the one in our E39. This car is also much quieter than either of the other two were. I have not measured, but it feels to us like the interior of this car is about the same size as on our previous 5 Series - a very good thing.

One detail I found interesting: Checked against our TomTom GPS, the speedo in our E39 was 5 mph fast. Checked against the same GPS, the speedo in this new 328 is 2 mph fast.

So we're looking forward to a long and happy relationship with this thing.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
What part of Jersey are you in? Would love to experience that for 5 minutes - and you can in turn experience ~420hp/370tq (crank) in 4000 pounds with individual throttle bodies if you'd like

I love the fuel economy and weight of the 328i. It handled great, felt great, etc. (steering in sport mode was a little hyperactive but I'm sure I'd get used to it).

The only thing that let me down was the engine and a big part of that was expectations - I was expecting not to really feel a difference compared to a 335 based upon comments/reviews.

If i can get it to 300+ tq and hp with a tune, and it's grin-inducing, then I can earnestly see myself owning it.
I am exit 34b off of Route 80, I am often in New Hope in 50 minutes.

I LOVE LOVE the E39 M5, pretty much the last of the BMWs I fawn over.

I would let you drive mine no problem, I think you will find it's more in line with a N55. BUT, I have to have my summer tires mounted and soon. Basically, its now too much torque for skinny snows to get an accurate reading on the power.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
The F30 328i has pretty much the same performance as the E36 M3. Actually, the F30 328i has better later grip (skid pad), a much tighter chassis, a lil more HP, much better fuel economy and a higher top speed. If neither car's performance puts a grin on your face, not sure what will.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
The F30 328i has pretty much the same performance as the E36 M3. Actually, the F30 328i has better later grip (skid pad), a much tighter chassis, a lil more HP, much better fuel economy and a higher top speed. If neither car's performance puts a grin on your face, not sure what will.
Lets just call my car an E36 M3(E36/7 to be exact) even though it's a bit of a mutt with E36 up front and E30 in the back. When I bought it near stock(catback and intake) it was a hell of a lot of fun and put a stupidly large grin on my face. When I dyno'd it with headers added on a load bearing dyno it put down 220whp/213lbs of tq. My F30 with catback did 220whp/260ftlbs on the same dyno.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
I'm going to chime in here, my first post on this forum.

We took delivery of our '13 328i sedan a week ago and have put about 500 miles on it. It's a luxury line with technology and premium packages.

We traded in our loaded '03 E39 wagon on this car and previously also had a base E90 sedan. This is our fourth BMW - well, fifth, if you count my MCS.

I am astonished at what a leap forward this car is over either of the two cars I've just named. It's taking us a while to come to grips with all the electronics - this thing is a computer with wheels and an engine in rather the same way that a digital camera is a computer that just happens to wear a lens.

The technology package isn't something that everyone needs, I feel sure, but it sure is nice to have - we wanted it because my wife really likes the parking assist function, which works well. But with it you get the head-up display, which is quite nice to have, especially because the nav system is linked to it.

I'm finding the standard, non-sport seats to be very comfortable, though I do miss the side bolsters of the sport seats. That isn't a deal-breaker, though. Just a detail - the mirrors on this new car are much better than on the old ones - the shape is such so that I see much more than I used to. My wife noticed the same thing. Engine supplies plenty of power for my needs, it is much stronger than the one in our E39. This car is also much quieter than either of the other two were. I have not measured, but it feels to us like the interior of this car is about the same size as on our previous 5 Series - a very good thing.

One detail I found interesting: Checked against our TomTom GPS, the speedo in our E39 was 5 mph fast. Checked against the same GPS, the speedo in this new 328 is 2 mph fast.

So we're looking forward to a long and happy relationship with this thing.
Welcome and congrats on the new ride! You went from an extremely underpowered platform (the e39 525i wagon....so much worse if it was an automatic too) to a svelte ride with a super fast automatic trans and a much more powerful engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM

The M-Cars, with their individual throttle bodies and different tuning, respond in a much more....vigorous....way than non-M cars. That being said: Yes, an e36 m3 does not put a grin on my face when I mash the go-fast pedal. It's an amazing corner carver and incredibly balanced, and the engine is silky smooth and sings. But it's not a dragster. I feel the same way about the e46 m3 by the way - it's magic is all at the top of the powerband. Driving it day to day and mashing the pedal at 3000rpms was never grin inducing for me.

In my e39 m5, I get a shove in the back at 2000rpms. In 6th gear. I'm not kidding. I can break the winter tires loose at at 3000rpms in 4th gear just by mashing the gas. It's a combination of massive torque AND instant power delivery.

I'm not saying every car needs or should be that way. It's just my own preference. That's what gives me grins when I'm driving in a straight line.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
I hope this isn't true for the MT, which I haven't spent much time in, but the AT seemed underpowered to me. I hadn't expected that at all. Everything I'd read was about all this low end torque and how fast the turbo kicked in. I was a little disappointed. I am now starting to think I may need to push up to a 335, ....
One of the things I have noticed while driving the new F30 328i is the smooth delivery of power from the 2.0 turbo engine, it is not peaky feeling on the engine, the power comes on quick, smooth and predictably throughout the power range (as found on the torque band being so flat from 1250-5000 RPM). When I am in a vehicle whose power band kicks in above 3500 RPM, you put the pedal down and you can feel the extra power as the engine revs from the lower RPM power range and it enters into its power band giving an illusion of more power after you mash the pedal down whereas the 2.0 turbo has a consistent pull almost instantly throughout its power range. Could it be that this is why some may be less than thrilled by the performance of the 328i as it is a perception, as you accelerate, you are waiting for that "Pin you in the back of your seat performance" feel from an increasing power band rather than the linear acceleration found on this turbo engine?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 03-05-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
One of the things I have noticed while driving the new F30 328i is the smooth delivery of power from the 2.0 turbo engine, it is not peaky feeling on the engine, the power comes on quick, smooth and predictably throughout the power range (as found on the torque band being so flat from 1250-5000 RPM). When I am in a vehicle whose power band kicks in above 3500 RPM, you put the pedal down and you can feel the extra power as the engine revs from the lower RPM power range and it enters into its power band giving an illusion of more power after you mash the pedal down whereas the 2.0 turbo has a consistent pull almost instantly throughout its power range. Could it be that this is why some may be less than thrilled by the performance of the 328i as it is a perception, as you accelerate, you are waiting for that "Pin you in the back of your seat performance" feel from an increasing power band rather than the linear acceleration found on the turbo engine?
That is how my Viggen was. It was about 20psi that came in about 2500-3k. It felt much faster than it was since it was so raw and such a wallop. It would also torque steer and jump 1-2 lanes which was entertaining.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
That is how my Viggen was. It was about 20psi that came in about 2500-3k. It felt much faster than it was since it was so raw and such a wallop. It would also torque steer and jump 1-2 lanes which was entertaining.
The Viggen was my first drive of a FWD performance car; yes the torque steer was very strong especially in second gear! When it entered into the power band, it came on quick and hard! It was NOT a linear power band! What I do remember is that the Saab 2.3 liter Viggen motor put out more power per liter than the Porsche at the time. If that engine was on an AWD Saab where the power could be 100% from a stop rather than a chip limited power in first and second gear...

Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
I'm not saying every car needs or should be that way. It's just my own preference. That's what gives me grins when I'm driving in a straight line.
Have you considered a Ford Mustang GT or Corvette instead? They excel at going in straight lines.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
One of the things I have noticed while driving the new F30 328i is the smooth delivery of power from the 2.0 turbo engine . . . Could it be that this is why some may be less than thrilled by the performance of the 328i as it is a perception, as you accelerate, you are waiting for that "Pin you in the back of your seat performance" feel from an increasing power band rather than the linear acceleration found on this turbo engine?
That's a very good point.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Have you considered a Ford Mustang GT or Corvette instead? They excel at going in straight lines.
heheh, I don't believe BMW makes a car currently that can take a modern vette in the curves.

Notice that those are not 4-door cars. I like my power in the 4-door variety, hence the v8 m5
Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
heheh, I don't believe BMW makes a car currently that can take a modern vette in the curves.

Notice that those are not 4-door cars. I like my power in the 4-door variety, hence the v8 m5
You know, they said the Pontiac G8 GXP was a good impersonation of the E39 M5. Too bad the 6mt ones are selling still for very close to $30k.

It's basically been brought back as the Chevy SS, but so far no 6mt.