Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
That says it all about how BMW really feel regarding run-flats. They are not going to compromise the M's performance and over all capabilities with run-flats. The 6'ers shouldn't be compromised either! Just waiting to run through my set of RF's and then it's off to the Michelin's Super Sports or Pilot Sports.

My vote is a roadside kit(doubt if you ever would use it) and/or AAA. That's all you need.
...or go commando! There's no spare or spare kit in my 4S, and didn't have either one in my M6 or SC430s when I owned them...of course, I have always had my insurance company's and the manufacturer's roadside assistance just in case. However, I would add that I never had performance or tire reliability problems with the 6 and 7 Series cars I have owned that were equipped with runflats, and that includes the much-hated here Goodyears that were on the 7.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
LMAO... and BMW wont cover it because I have H&R lowering springs installed. $1800 in parts + 8 hours labor.

I was wondering why I bottomed out on every curb ramp I drove on and replaced the same wheel 4 times.

Pretty much done with BMW after this. They're fragile pieces of crap. Havent had a decent one in the past 6 cars. All brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Im so sorry to talk bad about your precious beloved BMW. What was I thinking? They are the bestest company in the whole wide world. It will never happen again. They are so perfect in each and every way.

I didn't mention BMW. You modified your car (improperly, by the way), then broke parts of it related to the modification. Then you complain about the brand in general? It's your money, buy whatever you want. It just seems strange to me that you aren't learning from it. Do you think other car manufacturers do it any better? Like I said, maybe you need something more rugged and forgiving of improper mods?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
I didn't mention BMW. You modified your car (improperly, by the way), then broke parts of it related to the modification. Then you complain about the brand in general? It's your money, buy whatever you want. It just seems strange to me that you aren't learning from it. Do you think other car manufacturers do it any better? Like I said, maybe you need something more rugged and forgiving of improper mods?
I wouldn't bother, judging by his comments I would guess he is but a child....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I wouldn't bother, judging by his comments I would guess he is but a child....
Looks like someone else had some bent rims and tires as well... But I guess you improperly modified your car too

Child lol... I've had far greater responsibilities than you could ever fathom. If someone is going to laugh at other people's misfortunes, then yes, they will get a sarcastic reply. This thread was perfectly fine before you two joined in. You must still be upset about my last reply to you when you tried to call me out for something I didnt do.

Last edited by Itinj6; 03-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
A 1" drop in the Springs is going to cause this kind of damage? Yeah, ok. I'm on 5 wheels and about 8 tires in one year, even before the modification. The modification didn't cause this damage, NYC potholes did. The one I hit, that I suspect caused this was enough, lowered springs or not. It's ok, I can tell you're a fan boy anyway.

All I did was share my experience and try to pick people's brains on RFTs vs. Non-RFTs. Possibly help someone from making the same mistake I did. I didnt need your know-it-all, condescending attitude for no reason.

By the way, I'm complaining about the brand because they've given me crap in the past 5 cars and those weren't touched... Because BMW never had problems with HPFPs, convertible tops, drivetrain malfunctions, loose seats, etc etc etc...

Last edited by Itinj6; 03-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
A 1" drop in the Springs is going to cause this kind of damage? Yeah, ok. I'm on 5 wheels and about 8 tires in one year, even before the modification. The modification didn't cause this damage, NYC potholes did. The one I hit, that I suspect caused this was enough, lowered springs or not. It's ok, I can tell you're a fan boy anyway.

All I did was share my experience and try to pick people's brains on RFTs vs. Non-RFTs. Possibly help someone from making the same mistake I did. I didnt need your know-it-all, condescending attitude for no reason.

By the way, I'm complaining about the brand because they've given me crap in the past 5 cars and those weren't touched... Because BMW never had problems with HPFPs, convertible tops, drivetrain malfunctions, loose seats, etc etc etc...

This is exactly why I chimed in. People who search need to find good information.

And yes, 1" drop (and probably a change in spring rates) will DESTROY stock struts and shocks. They'll bottom out and blow the seals. Then they're just useless and likely to bend, etc.

NYC potholes are notorious for destroying wheels, especially with run flat tires. There's quite a few threads about it actually. I'm surprised you didn't search before posting.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Truce anyone???

I've enjoyed threads and comments from all of you, which is to say that I think all of you are great folks. So, would it be possible for us to get back to an even keel?

By the way, that's a gorgeous 650i vert you've got there Emilner!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
This is exactly why I chimed in. People who search need to find good information.

And yes, 1" drop (and probably a change in spring rates) will DESTROY stock struts and shocks. They'll bottom out and blow the seals. Then they're just useless and likely to bend, etc.

NYC potholes are notorious for destroying wheels, especially with run flat tires. There's quite a few threads about it actually. I'm surprised you didn't search before posting.
I would have to disagree. Lowering an inch will shorten the life of a shock, but it will not destroy anything. The stock Sport suspension on the E90 bottoms out on any decent pothole. There are numerous posts by F10 owners who haven't had any issues with their lowering springs. That said, switching to lighter wheels and nonRFTs will minimize any negative effects. If you want to go the zero effect route, Dinan includes offset shock mounts and/or shorter bump stops to maintain the full shock travel. The Dinan route also includes a full warranty, so they would have covered this or at least worked with BMW on this matter.

Sorry Leslierc, since the OP is sharing information, I thought I would include some of my own.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Truce anyone???

I've enjoyed threads and comments from all of you, which is to say that I think all of you are great folks. So, would it be possible for us to get back to an even keel?

By the way, that's a gorgeous 650i vert you've got there Emilner!
Thanks!! I love the beast- I can't wait to take her out of hibernation....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
So after the heated argument back to spare tires... I put winter tires (non-runflats) on combined 5 winter seasons (3 with my previous 335 and 2 with my current 650). Never got a spare tire, never got a flat, and I used the cars for daily driving. I could not see myself changing tires on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. That is what BMW Assist is for - push the button and call for help. So why carry a spare tire that takes much of your trunk then?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by svp66 View Post
I could not see myself changing tires on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. That is what BMW Assist is for - push the button and call for help. So why carry a spare tire that takes much of your trunk then?
I'm with you on BMW Assist. Right now I'm in a bit of a transition period in my life and am not sure where I'll be living for the next few years. The uncertainty is the source of my concern. If I continue living in a nice suburban area traveling only a dozen miles or so from A to B, then I don't mind relying on BMW Assist. However, if I'm traveling down the highway in bum-effin'-nowhere Alabama with the closest Starbucks 50+ miles away (standard unit of measure for the civilized world ), then I'd rather have either run flats or a spare. The choice, I think, just depends on each person's particular needs. Maybe one day they 'll make RFTs objectively better than the non-RFTs in every measurable way. Damn physics just keeps ruining everything. Fortunately, physics also makes driving amazing, so it's forgivable

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/