Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Lemon Lawed 335i ??

Looking at an '09 335i that was Lemon Lawed at 24K...HDP warrenty extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Fuel injectors replaced, plugs replaced. BMW NA extended warranty on turbo charger, etc....Car looks great, cosmetic very good, very good price....opinions please...Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
How much?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
My friend bought an 07 335i that was lemon lawed back in 2009. The only problems he has had are the HPFP went a few years back and an adaptive headlamp failure a few weeks ago that was covered under an extended warranty he bought through his credit union. Other than that just routine maintenance that he does by himself.

The key, IMO, is to not overpay for the car, and of course a very intensive PPI by both yourself and a qualified mechanic.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 335
About 7 years ago, I won a case against Mazda. My problem was that the Miata would not start and during arbitration, I told the judge it simply didn't zoom zoom. Mazda offered to give me an extended warranty, problem was that it still did not cover my problem...the ignition. Personally I would never buy a lemon. Be very careful, extended warranties do not cover bumper to bumper and excludes certain things.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnyc View Post
I told the judge it simply didn't zoom zoom.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
You're buying this from a BMW dealer? With CPO warranty? Doesn't sound like it. Private party? If so, I'd not touch it. If dealer, then read all the fine print in your warranty and unless you get a minimum 3 month bumper to bumper I'd reconsider.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Just remember that when you buy a lemon, it doesn't just mean that something was wrong with the car. It means that something was wrong with the car where it was repeatable and unsolvable and the manufacturer was forced to take the car back. So unless, you find out what the problem was, you're taking a serious gamble because in essence, you'll be buying the problem that the previou owner couldn't get fixed.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
We lemoned my wife's Chevy back in '85, right after the law went into play in Mass. Multiple repair tries, multiple calls, all for naught, and they finally took it back.

The day we returned it, there was a factory rep there to see how it went (we were one of the very first cars that made it through the whole lemon process). He asked what the problem was, straight away said, "Oh, that's the secondary temperature sensor on the low end of the block. Anyone ever change it?" The dealer looked at him as though he had two heads - they had no idea there were 2 sensors for the warning light in question. We returned the car even through he said he knew the fix.

About a year later, a friend's car had the same problem. She was on repair 3 when I heard about it, and told her what the rep said. She told her dealer, and it was fixed the next day.

So, FWIW, sometimes a lemon can be repaired. It just takes the right person to look at the problem.

Having said that, it's unlikely I'd purchase one.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
We lemoned my wife's Chevy back in '85, right after the law went into play in Mass. Multiple repair tries, multiple calls, all for naught, and they finally took it back.

The day we returned it, there was a factory rep there to see how it went (we were on of the very first cars that made it through the whole lemon process). He asked what the problem was, straight away said, "Oh, that's the secondary temperature sensor on the low end of the block. Anyone ever change it?" The dealer looked at him as though he had two heads - they had no idea there were 2 sensors for the warning light in question. We returned the car even through he said he knew the fix.

About a year later, a friend's car had the same problem. She was on repair 3 when I heard about it, and told her what the rep said. She told her dealer, and it was fixed the next day.

So, FWIW, sometimes a lemon can be repaired. It just takes the right person to look at the problem.

Good post. So the lesson learned here that sometimes the service department is the lemon, not the cars.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Another thing to remember, is that the lemon-law buyback is now a permanent part of the car's history. Therefore this car will be worth significantly less than an equivalent car without the lemon history (when it comes time to resell it). This fact is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but certainly a consideration when negotiating price.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post

The day we returned it, there was a factory rep there to see how it went (we were one of the very first cars that made it through the whole lemon process). He asked what the problem was, straight away said, "Oh, that's the secondary temperature sensor on the low end of the block. Anyone ever change it?" The dealer looked at him as though he had two heads - they had no idea there were 2 sensors for the warning light in question. We returned the car even through he said he knew the fix.

My parents had a '08 Hyundai Elantra (first mistake) for ~3 mos that had problems starting. They towed it, said it was the battery....had problems....oh it's the starter....didn't start AGAIN. Then figured out it was some other defective part.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T