Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Luxury Series..
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The only people who think that way are those who buy the stripped-out models that, curiously, aren't very luxurious. Imagine that.

And new for the F30 is the fact that you have to pay for performance now. That legendary stiff suspension, that remarkably tight steering, they're stripped off now too. The price stays the same at the bottom end but you keep 'losing' more and more features when you strip it. Should tell you something.

It's a BMW, not a VW.

BJ
You are King of the BMW flag wavers!

I don't have a problem with someone being Passionate about their brand, but I do have problem with people putting down something because they think their brand is superior!

You put down VAG (Volkwagen/Audi Grouppe) because you think that BMW is superior.
That's how you come across to me, at least. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Here's mine:

You keep wanting to compare a 3 Series BMW (stripped or not) to a VW Passat or whatever. Neither car was meant to compete with each other, but they both have their place in the market and there's plenty of market share for both. You don't see magazine shootouts comparing them because you're not comparing apples to apples, and frankly no one cares! When someone is looking at a BMW, they don't say "Crap, I forgot to check VW"! Now Audi is a different story and I've seen several shootouts where the rebadged VW (Audi) beat the BMW.

You put down Audi's, but I wonder if you've ever even sat in one or just thought that it was beneath you to do it. If you did, you'd find out that Audi has one of the most comfortable, well designed/layed out interiors in the business. I do know that because we have a 2011 V8 S5 sitting next to our F30 335i in the garage and in comparison....well, there is No comparison! Don't even get me started on comparing X-drive to Quattro with the sport differential option..........once again, no comparison (I've driven them both too).

I know that this is a BMW forum, and I'm as Passionate about these (and other) cars as anyone, but have an open mind that BMW IS NOT the do all, end all car on the planet! Is it a well built car with nice features.........Absolutely or I wouldn't have bought one. Is it the Greatest thing since sliced bread....Not to me, but you might fell differently than I do. I'm good with that because if everyone had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place. Once again, just my opinion.

In closing, I know that this won't make me popular, especially on a BMW forum, but I wanted an Audi A7, but my wife wanted a BMW and in my years, I've found out that a Happy Wife is a Happy Life.......... so we settled for a BMW!

Sorry, but I had to get that off of my chest! Back to our regularly scheduled programming!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Dude, just face it, 3 is not a luxury car. It does not give you status. And shallow people who do care about what you drive, most likely look down on you, thinking, look at that wide middle aged guy who can't afford a 5. That's not my opinon, i am just letting you know what most people think when they see you in a 3.
WTF are you talking about? A 50 thousand dollar car, bought or leased, implies a level of status. You may thing a 3 series means nothing, but I would like to introduce you to the other half of the country who's median annual income is less than the price of a loaded three series. Think what you want about head lights, but this reoccurring argument about status is just nuts.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post

In closing, I know that this won't make me popular, especially on a BMW forum, but I wanted an Audi A7, but my wife wanted a BMW and in my years, I've found out that a Happy Wife is a Happy Life.......... so we settled for a BMW!

Sorry, but I had to get that off of my chest! Back to our regularly scheduled programming!
Your wife has good taste, listen to her.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Dude, just face it, 3 is not a luxury car. It does not give you status. And shallow people who do care about what you drive, most likely look down on you, thinking, look at that wide middle aged guy who can't afford a 5. That's not my opinon, i am just letting you know what most people think when they see you in a 3.
1. The average American household makes $49,000 a year. They're the ones driving $149 Kia's, not $599 BMW's.

2. You live in Brooklyn and drive a stripper. I'm just letting you know what most people think when they see you in your BMW. "Poseur"

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 03-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
1. The average American household makes $49,000 a year. They're the ones driving $149 Kia's, not $599 BMW's.

2. You live in Brooklyn and drive a stripper. I'm just letting you know what most people think when they see you in your BMW. "Poseur"

BJ
1. The average American household would really be impressed with your L328, if they cared.
2. I'd like to let you know few things, first, unlike you, i could not care less what anyone thinks about my striper or me, (btw its an xdrive with sunroof and PDC, so its not fully striiped). Second, not sure where in NJ you are, but house prices in brooklyn are significantly higher than most of NJ. Not sure what your brooklyn comment wassuppose to mean, but came off a bit deragotory. I never mentioned the other name NJ goes by, "armpit of east coast" i believe?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I had a great vw/audi product.

Great looks that always had compliments, amazing interior, great features, quick and effucient, great value.

Then came the reliability. And no...was not unique to me.

Had to drop it before 60k and why I swore off VAG products.
Quote:

I don't have a problem with someone being Passionate about their brand, but I do have problem with people putting down something because they think their brand is superior!

You put down VAG (Volkwagen/Audi Grouppe) because you think that BMW is superior.
That's how you come across to me, at least. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Here's mine:

You keep wanting to compare a 3 Series BMW (stripped or not) to a VW Passat or whatever. Neither car was meant to compete with each other, but they both have their place in the market and there's plenty of market share for both. You don't see magazine shootouts comparing them because you're not comparing apples to apples, and frankly no one cares! When someone is looking at a BMW, they don't say "Crap, I forgot to check VW"! Now Audi is a different story and I've seen several shootouts where the rebadged VW (Audi) beat the BMW.

You put down Audi's, but I wonder if you've ever even sat in one or just thought that it was beneath you to do it. If you did, you'd find out that Audi has one of the most comfortable, well designed/layed out interiors in the business. I do know that because we have a 2011 V8 S5 sitting next to our F30 335i in the garage and in comparison....well, there is No comparison! Don't even get me started on comparing X-drive to Quattro with the sport differential option..........once again, no comparison (I've driven them both too).

I know that this is a BMW forum, and I'm as Passionate about these (and other) cars as anyone, but have an open mind that BMW IS NOT the do all, end all car on the planet! Is it a well built car with nice features.........Absolutely or I wouldn't have bought one. Is it the Greatest thing since sliced bread....Not to me, but you might fell differently than I do. I'm good with that because if everyone had the same opinion, the world would be a boring place. Once again, just my opinion.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
1. The average American household would really be impressed with your L328, if they cared.
2. I'd like to let you know few things, first, unlike you, i could not care less what anyone thinks about my striper or me, (btw its an xdrive with sunroof and PDC, so its not fully striiped). Second, not sure where in NJ you are, but house prices in brooklyn are significantly higher than most of NJ. Not sure what your brooklyn comment wassuppose to mean, but came off a bit deragotory. I never mentioned the other name NJ goes by, "armpit of east coast" i believe?
As far as "derogatory" goes, that's your MO since Day 1 around here. I'll be happy to repost your introductory post to me here, was quite a gem.

As far as Brooklyn goes, that's where a significant amount of $49,000 a year income people live in tiny little apartments and can't dream of a BMW, can't dream of a new car much either. My parents were both from there, I know firsthand.

As far as NJ goes, I live in Bergen County, my neighborhood you can't find a home under $1.5M worth anything.

There are people, not saying you particularly, that are offended that BMW is viewed by 97% of American's as a status-symbol and so they go out of their way to justify their purchase claiming the F30 is either a) a sleeper of a race car or b) just a 'commonplace' car. Many, again, not saying you particularly, live at home with mom and dad and got their cars subsidized by them. Nothing wrong with that either, but it gets quite hypocritical for these types to run around shouting "it's just a car!" in what everyone perceives to be a yuppie status symbol that they can't even afford themselves.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:

You keep wanting to compare a 3 Series BMW (stripped or not) to a VW Passat or whatever. Neither car was meant to compete with each other,

You put down Audi's, but I wonder if you've ever even sat in one or just thought that it was beneath you to do it.

I'm not comparing a BMW to a VW in any way except to emphasize the fact that anyone in a stripped 3 Series could (I emphasize could) be in a fully-loaded Passat for the same money. And that anyone who wants to give up basic features that come standard like that for a car that no longer has world-class handling without a Sport line at an absolute minimum, there can be only one reason: To show off.

There was a time just two years ago that the argument was "I am in a $36,000 E90 and I gave up Bluetooth, leather, power seats, folding rear seats, memory seats, heated seats, and xenons but I'm getting the BEST handling in the business!"

That's not true anymore. It's no longer a fair tradeoff. BMW has forced the stripper to take the soul out of the car. So without a Sport line or DHP, they are driving $37,000 luxury cars without luxury.

Let me know if you get that. It's an important distinction.

BJ

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
WTF are you talking about? A 50 thousand dollar car, bought or leased, implies a level of status. You may thing a 3 series means nothing, but I would like to introduce you to the other half of the country who's median annual income is less than the price of a loaded three series. Think what you want about head lights, but this reoccurring argument about status is just nuts.
Thank you.

If we're a bunch of rich people talking about our little 3% niche and we want to say that WE aren't impressing EACH OTHER with our BMW's, that's fine, I get that. I've got neighbors in $5M homes who drive Ferrari's and it's not like they're wowed by my 328i.

But you can't drive a brand new BMW through Flatbush and think you're driving something pedestrian, something anyone can afford. I'd love people who believe that to drive up to a Food King in Crown Heights or Paterson, roll down their windows, and ask a passerby "Hey, do you think I'm just an average guy like you?"

BJ

Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
I have a nice dual income, in fact celebrating my wifes 30% bonus this week-she is a keeper!

I do not look for my 3 series to claim any kind of status. I don't need it too. I live in a development referred to as The Estates where I am the youngest by a decade and have no kids. My neighbors must laugh how we always have new cars, two of them BMWs and a Saab. But in northern NJ I just do not see the 3 as a status vehicle. It's entry level aspiration...I have a 3, someday I will have a 7 kind of thing.

I also have halogens. Could care less if that says I am poor to some other elitist. Would I like them to perform better? Yeah! Picking up a $250 HID setup from a local F30 guy for $80 lol.

I see all these posts that measure 3 sales and care if it slips, caring of who thinks what about their cars etc. Maybe I am the minority. I liked my car, I bought my car, don't care much about all this other Jr. High crap that comes with it. Owning an older BMW had been very free of this crap.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I see all these posts that measure 3 sales and care if it slips, caring of who thinks what about their cars etc. Maybe I am the minority. I liked my car, I bought my car, don't care much about all this other Jr. High crap that comes with it. Owning an older BMW had been very free of this crap.
Trolls/F30 haters/Non BMW owners. Remove them and you clean up 90% of the trash which ends up on this board. Literally 6 or 7 posters make most of this possible.

WTB more posts about the 328i performance exhaust, which sounds damn good by the way.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I have a nice dual income, in fact celebrating my wifes 30% bonus this week-she is a keeper!
Same here. Biggest advice I give my kids is to find the love of your life but make sure she's an earner.

Quote:
I do not look for my 3 series to claim any kind of status. I don't need it too.
Same here. In my neighborhood, it's considered the bare-minimum to keep up with the Joneses. As relates to this thread, not sure why some people feel the need to deny that many people view BMW as a status symbol. Whether I view it that way or my neighbors view it that way is immaterial; millions of people do, so no sense in acting like it doesn't exist. I could rattle off rock songs, rap songs, country songs, TV shows, movies, Broadway shows, musicals, books with BMW references and the connotation of wealth everywhere. Audi doesn't get that, Infiniti doesn't get that.

I belong to a Rolex forum, we never have posters that show up claiming they're wearing "just a typical watch" and that it's "nothing special" and that "anyone can afford one". We start with the baseline that it's a luxury item, the rationale for owning it is a personal choice after that.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 03-03-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
Trolls/F30 haters/Non BMW owners. Remove them and you clean up 90% of the trash which ends up on this board. Literally 6 or 7 posters make most of this possible.

WTB more posts about the 328i performance exhaust, which sounds damn good by the way.

that sounds really good.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i
Just to get the thread back on topic....I have a loaner 2012 328i right now and drove it last night over a dark mountain road. Yeah, stock headlights are pretty bad. Luckily I have very good vision otherwise it would have been very difficult to see well. I have a 2013 328i sport on order and do wish (now) I would have purchased the lighting package.

2013 328i Sport Line, Mineral Grey
2013 X5 35d, Alpine White w/ Oyster Leather

Retired
2011 X5 35d
2010 328i
2008 X5 35i
2006 325i
2002 X5 3.0i
1992 325i Convertible
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9597 View Post
Just to get the thread back on topic....I have a loaner 2012 328i right now and drove it last night over a dark mountain road. Yeah, stock headlights are pretty bad. Luckily I have very good vision otherwise it would have been very difficult to see well. I have a 2013 328i sport on order and do wish (now) I would have purchased the lighting package.
Is it in production yet? Maybe you can still add it?
Now that you've seen what you would be getting talk to your CA and find out what your options are (maybe even re-order?, I am not sure if it is doable and how much of a jerk you are willing to be with you CA, but I guess you are not fully obligated to take delivery of the car. Maybe if the options you picked are common enough they are willing to keep the one you order and sell it of the lot, so you can re-order? But then again I might be pushing the enveloppe here).

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Just put bjs on your ignore list and lower your blood pressure a bit.

Nobody cares about what options your car has other than you. I find my rather "low end" E90 (xDrive + value + premium) that I bought during the 2011 blowout sale last year generates plenty of jealousy, much more than I ever expected. Nobody has ever said to me, "Oh, it only has halogen headlights" or "It would be so much better if you'd spent $2500 for iDrive and navigation." All they say is I want one, can I sit in it, and can we take it for a spin? All this from a mass-produced car that costs less than some well-equipped minivans.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
I live in a mountainous area and the parts of this thread that are relevant to the topic are convincing me to get the Lighting Package. For the US market, where does High Beam Assistant fit in? Is it useful as offered now? Would it be if the European implementation were offered in the US for 2014? I'm particularly interested to know whether adaptive lighting makes it more appropriate to let the vehicle manage the high beams.

I can't believe how complicated it has become to spec a new car. So much for, "Any color you want, so long as it's black."
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
I live in a mountainous area and the parts of this thread that are relevant to the topic are convincing me to get the Lighting Package. For the US market, where does High Beam Assistant fit in? Is it useful as offered now? Would it be if the European implementation were offered in the US for 2014? I'm particularly interested to know whether adaptive lighting makes it more appropriate to let the vehicle manage the high beams.

I can't believe how complicated it has become to spec a new car. So much for, "Any color you want, so long as it's black."
It's pretty sick.
I feel like I'm one of the few that accidentally got it in the 2012 MY...I love it late at night on empty stretches of the road. It's wicked tech.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
Is it in production yet? Maybe you can still add it?
Now that you've seen what you would be getting talk to your CA and find out what your options are (maybe even re-order?, I am not sure if it is doable and how much of a jerk you are willing to be with you CA, but I guess you are not fully obligated to take delivery of the car. Maybe if the options you picked are common enough they are willing to keep the one you order and sell it of the lot, so you can re-order? But then again I might be pushing the enveloppe here).
Already built & ready to get on the ship....so no changing this build. I don't think I'll reorder, even though it's tempting...I have regrets about not getting a couple other options too, but options & packages cost MONEY and my build is at the top of my budget anyhow. I'm happy with what I ordered and will love every minute of driving it once it arrives. But to everyone on the fence about whether to get xenons or not....GET THEM!!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Enjoy your ride!

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
Nick9597,
You will love your car! If you are disappointed with your lights adjust them up. I would like to hear if the people on this board tried this, if it fixed thier problem. I am perfectly satisfied now that I adjusted them. The factory must be setting them to low.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
I had no idea this would turn into a "my car has more options than yours" discussion. How helpful is that to someone that already has the car? As a finacial advisor, I have to interject. An option is just that, an option. Bmw is one of the few companies that still build thier cars "al le carte" although that has changed slightly last year. Do you guys realize how quickly these options become worthless when you trade it in? Those 13k worth of options become worth 1k to 2k real quick. After 3 bmw purchases those options could pay for an entire car. Ill keep my leatherette seats that last longer and hold up better and no one knows the difference, and bypass the navigation system in order to either pay my car off sooner or pay cash for my 4th beamer. A person off the streets doesnt know if you paid 52k or 37k. If you want some options pay for them, but dont look down on someone cause it wasnt worth it too them.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
I had no idea this would turn into a "my car has more options than yours" discussion. How helpful is that to someone that already has the car? As a finacial advisor, I have to interject. An option is just that, an option. Bmw is one of the few companies that still build thier cars "al le carte" although that has changed slightly last year. Do you guys realize how quickly these options become worthless when you trade it in? Those 13k worth of options become worth 1k to 2k real quick. After 3 bmw purchases those options could pay for an entire car. Ill keep my leatherette seats that last longer and hold up better and no one knows the difference, and bypass the navigation system in order to either pay my car off sooner or pay cash for my 4th beamer. A person off the streets doesnt know if you paid 52k or 37k. If you want some options pay for them, but dont look down on someone cause it wasnt worth it too them.
+1 enjoy your car. people care way too much about what other people think. to hell with them... and as someone suggested earlier, put the *********s and elitists on ignore and you'll be fine
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 750Li, A4 2.0T
Quote:
Luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes Benz) start from the top and allow buyers to work their way down. Base brands (Honda, Toyota) start from the bottom and force buyers to work their way up. Two different types of car philosophies, two different customers, two different strategies
Do you have any proof for this BJ or just your own theories? You know, just because something makes sense to you doesn't mean it's the truth.

And the 3 series IS NOT a luxury car. One has to be either a car noob or brainwashed by too many commercials / shinny catalogs to believe this. If you really want to put the word "luxury" next to the 3 Series you might say that the 3 Series is an ENTRY level luxury car. But you would still stretching it: my 328i it's noisy and the build quality is poor.

The cars have to be judged by the base model. That's the real value for your money. Is the 328i luxury? Def no. Is the 528i luxury? Mmm ... maybe. Is the 740i luxury? Yes.

Right now I think the 3 series is running on fumes, on past glory. In my opinion they still have a few strong points, but fewer and fewer. They charge too much just because once they were king of the hill. That started to change (A4, C, ATS, G, damn even Genesis) and it will become more apparent in the next few years.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Do you have any proof for this BJ or just your own theories? You know, just because something makes sense to you doesn't mean it's the truth.

And the 3 series IS NOT a luxury car. One has to be either a car noob or brainwashed by too many commercials / shinny catalogs to believe this. If you really want to put the word "luxury" next to the 3 Series you might say that the 3 Series is an ENTRY level luxury car. But you would still stretching it: my 328i it's noisy and the build quality is poor.

The cars have to be judged by the base model. That's the real value for your money. Is the 328i luxury? Def no. Is the 528i luxury? Mmm ... maybe. Is the 740i luxury? Yes.

Right now I think the 3 series is running on fumes, on past glory. In my opinion they still have a few strong points, but fewer and fewer. They charge too much just because once they were king of the hill. That started to change (A4, C, ATS, G, damn even Genesis) and it will become more apparent in the next few years.
If being seen in a luxury car embarrasses you, stop buying them.

BJ