Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Windows in cold weather

Seems like I always forget about this problem until the first winter weather, then I am reminded of the fun I will endure all winter.

Is there a trick to keeping the positive seal windows from freezing in the closed position (making it impossible to close the door once opened)? I always end up letting the car idle in the drive for 20-30 minutes to warm the windows up, or have to drive with the door pushed open.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Gummi Pflege - use twice per year.

Tom
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Suede Master

I do that on the interior seal. Are you saying to use it on the outside of the window where it is freezing?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 AM

As I have a convertible, I use it on the rubber strip which seals the top of the window. Perhaps the coupe is different.

(I must admit also that the car is garaged, so I haven't really been able to test it, but I have no problem on my daily driver E91 which stays out doors.)

Tom
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Suede Master

The problem is, the window does not retract when you open the door, I assume this is an issue along the bottom of the window on the outside. I destroyed one of the lower, outside seals last year with an ice scraper. I am hoping to avoid that happening again. I guess I should just leave the window down 1/8" all winter to avoid the problem. My big concern is not noticing that window did not drop and closing the door (and breaking the glass).

Old 12-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
I had that problem with my e36 328i convertible. Funny thing is it only happened a handful of times one winter, then never happened again.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
The problem is, the window does not retract when you open the door, I assume this is an issue along the bottom of the window on the outside. I destroyed one of the lower, outside seals last year with an ice scraper. I am hoping to avoid that happening again. I guess I should just leave the window down 1/8" all winter to avoid the problem. My big concern is not noticing that window did not drop and closing the door (and breaking the glass).
Ah, that's a different matter. Have you tried RainX on the bottom part of the window glass?

Tom
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
Window Problem

I'm resurrecting this old thread... as I am currently having this SAME problem on my 2009 135i coupe.

The passenger window doesn't always "drop" when the door handle is pulled, and hence, the window catches on the window frame/roof when closed. I am sometimes able to gently push the window down 1/8" before closing the door, at which point the window moves back up when the door is closed.

My main concern is shattering the window when closing the door. I took it in to the dealer, and they were "unable to replicate the problem", even though it happened immediately after we got home!?!.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've used Gumme Pfledge on the inside window seals, but haven't tried the RainX on the bottom outside window seal.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Unrelated to ice, my Mini will occasionally fail to dip the window when I open the door (electronic glitch). I have two remedies.
1. Turn the ignition on, roll the window down slightly and the back up again. The window immediately dips to its proper height.
2. Or, slowly close the door until the glass is just about to hit the trim. Gently push the top edge of the glass inward past the trim (it kinda pulls itself down slightly as it bends inward). Once the glass has cleared the trim, push the door hard to close it. Next time you get in the car, follow #1 above.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Cup of water poured on the bottom outside seal before you open the door will melt the ice and allow the window to dip, living in northern England this was a problem for a few months out of the year.

If it's happening when the window isn't frozen with ice, then you need to reset the window. You do this by rolling the window all the way down and continuing to hold the button for 5-10 seconds, then release the button and roll the window up. That'll reset the windows memory for full down, full up and the dip settings.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
My problem isn't freezing as my car is always garaged... so ND50oz's response gives me hope. Surprising that the BMW dealer wasn't aware of this! Thanks for the idea... I'll try this tonight!