Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Luxury and sportiness; does DHP offer the best of both worlds?

Hi:
I placed an order for a 2013 335i luxury line, zpp, ztp, heated seats for a mid May ED. I am now thinking if i should add the DHP. From what I understand it allows you to choose between a sporty ride and a comfortable smooth ride based on what you want and allows you to get the best of both worlds. I absolutely love the saddle brown interior, hence have to have the luxury line.
I am not a very aggressive driver and will probably drive the car in comfort setting for ~75% of the time but would love to have a sporty suspension and feel for those rare but spirited canyon rides. What has your experience been with DHP, is the difference perceptible enough especially if you are someone like me who is not a very aggressive driver? I plan to test drive the two settings at my dealership this week.
Thanks,
D
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddas1992 View Post
Hi:
I placed an order for a 2013 335i luxury line, zpp, ztp, heated seats for a mid May ED. I am now thinking if i should add the DHP. From what I understand it allows you to choose between a sporty ride and a comfortable smooth ride based on what you want and allows you to get the best of both worlds. I absolutely love the saddle brown interior, hence have to have the luxury line.
I am not a very aggressive driver and will probably drive the car in comfort setting for ~75% of the time but would love to have a sporty suspension and feel for those rare but spirited canyon rides. What has your experience been with DHP, is the difference perceptible enough especially if you are someone like me who is not a very aggressive driver? I plan to test drive the two settings at my dealership this week.
Thanks,
D
After my experience with a 335i with sport suspension and a 750i with an adjustable suspension I would not consider buying a BMW (or any other car) without an adjustable suspension.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
I just tested the DHP yesterday, and I liked it. Yes, it's pretty much the best of both worlds, and for only $1000, it's one of the best values, I think.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
If buying a certain F30 kept me from the sport suspension and I was not planning an aftermarket solution, then DHP would be a must.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Hi:
Thanks,
D
I too had to have the Saddle interior and got a Luxury line as a result. I didn't do my homework before placing my order, didn't realize what the Adaptive M Suspension did, assumed that because it had the "M" in it it meant it was going to be a harsh experience which is what I was trying to avoid coming off my E90. I was wrong.

Definitely get the DHP if you're getting a Luxury line. I'm trying to find sway bar and other solutions to tighten up my ride a bit, like you say, for that 5% of the time I'm in a sharp curve at speed and need less body roll. If I had the Adaptive M, I could hit a button and do that when needed.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Hi:
Thanks,
D
A couple of test drives will sort this out for you. In my limited seat time with DHP, my impression is that DHP is not merely for aggressive cornering, it also helps to smooth out the ride on uneven road conditions(even on most aggressive setting).
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
DHP is what helps make BMW The Ultimate Driving Machine. You don't have to be an aggressive driver to appreciate it.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
What's great about the BMW packaging is that you can get it on the X3 without having to buy the top model like on competing cars. What's great about DHP itself is that the comfort mode actually affects the suspension on a DHP equipped car and not just shift points and steering as on non-DHP cars. So for those times when you want a smooth ride, you can at least get the suspension to change (RFTs are another matter). Without DHP, you get the standard suspension and neither other suspension setting (sport + and comfort).

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 03-03-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Get the DHP !

Quote:
Hi:
Thanks,
D
We have the DHP on our 2013 Sport Line. Best $1,000 option on our Bimmer As Captain & BJ would Agree, you won't regret this investment . Have a fantastic ED experience. Have you looked into finishing off the purchase with a PCD re-delivery in Spartanburg , South Carolina ?
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Yukon
Can anyone give detailed info on how DHP will affect the drive on an x Drive. I know this has been discussed a bit in other threads, but I am still a bit confused as to whether I should get the DHP option. Has anyone have experience driving x Drive with and without DHP. I currently have a 335 x Drive Sport line on order (with no DHP). This is my wife's car, so I figured DHP was an option that we could do without. Didn't think she would miss not having it. I am beginning to re-think the decision. I have about a week to make the change. Will it be a big difference in a x Drive???? Is this an option that she will really appreciate having????

2006 330i - ED
Ordered - April 8, 2006 (1st BMW )
Scheduled for Production - May 1, 2006
ED pick up date - June 9, 2006
ED drop off (Munich) - June 18, 2006
ReDelivery - July 27, 2006
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwesq View Post
Can anyone give detailed info on how DHP will affect the drive on an x Drive. I know this has been discussed a bit in other threads, but I am still a bit confused as to whether I should get the DHP option. Has anyone have experience driving x Drive with and without DHP. I currently have a 335 x Drive Sport line on order (with no DHP). This is my wife's car, so I figured DHP was an option that we could do without. Didn't think she would miss not having it. I am beginning to re-think the decision. I have about a week to make the change. Will it be a big difference in a x Drive???? Is this an option that she will really appreciate having????
Although I've not driven an xDrive car without DHP, I'll share my feelings on it. The 335xi is my wife's daily driver and she leaves it in 'Comfort' mode 99% of the time. In fact, the few times she drove it in sport I think she was reminded of the 'crashiness' over bumps that our previous E90 had.

But however much she drives it, we added DHP to the build specifically for the times when I get to drive the car. It makes even the quick trip to the market on Sunday afternoon a real blast.

And at first, I swore there wasn't much of a difference between 'Comfort' and 'Sport'. But on a rough road, you can really tell the difference between the two... 'Comfort' really soaks up the bumps and 'Sport' gets closer (but not quite) to the ZSP E90 feel.

Lastly, with DHP you can customize those settings to some degree, so say your wife likes the improved throttle response in 'Sport' but doesn't like the firmer ride, you can set it to only change the drivetrain settings in 'Sport'. On an xDrive car shared between two people who might not enjoy the same driving feel, DHP is a must in my opinion.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM

I am definitely leaning towards the DHP, will do a test drive this week.

Not doing the PDC this time, just don't have enough time.. Definitely next time though.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 15 335xi EB2, 14 F150
x drive has too much body roll. I didn't get DHP and regret it. If you need x drive ( do you?) then DHP is a must to limit the roll. I find the ride otherwise to be a perfect blend on the straights but in the corners it's a leaner.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Does the F30 remember your last custom DHP setting? Or will one have to set it up each time you step in and fire up the ignition?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
It always starts on Comfort. I haven't seen any evidence yet that this is something that can be reprogrammed (like ASS). In theory it's possible, of course, but I don't think BMW will do it for you.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM
smooth like butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
It always starts on Comfort. I haven't seen any evidence yet that this is something that can be reprogrammed (like ASS). In theory it's possible, of course, but I don't think BMW will do it for you.
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
I'm confused. I don't think we have DHP but I can switch from comfort mode, to sport mode to a manual sport mode where I can use paddles on the wheel. This changes the driving experience for me because in sport mode it feels like a slightly rougher ride and the engine sounds more like it's pulling, as opposed to the constant soft purr I hear when it's in comfort mode. Is this DHP? If not, how is DHP different?
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
I'm confused. I don't think we have DHP but I can switch from comfort mode, to sport mode to a manual sport mode where I can use paddles on the wheel. This changes the driving experience for me because in sport mode it feels like a slightly rougher ride and the engine sounds more like it's pulling, as opposed to the constant soft purr I hear when it's in comfort mode. Is this DHP? If not, how is DHP different?
DHP changes the suspension - not just the throttle and transmission response.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post
Although I've not driven an xDrive car without DHP, I'll share my feelings on it. The 335xi is my wife's daily driver and she leaves it in 'Comfort' mode 99% of the time. .
It is worth pointing out that, at least on paper, leaving DHP in the comfort mode does not merely give you the standard non-sport suspension. You still get the benefits of its adaptive nature, which means both a more compliant ride and better handling in the twisties. It does not merely offer the ability to switch between a regular sport and a regular non-sport suspension. it is a lot more than that (again, at least on paper).
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
^^ I can absolutely vouch for this. I had a loaner for a week with standard suspension and my DHP even in comfort mode was able to dampen out the bumps a lot better than the standard suspension. I have not been able to compare my DHP in sport mode to the sportline suspension though.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
DHP changes the suspension - not just the throttle and transmission response.
Ah... gotcha. Thanks!
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
It is worth pointing out that, at least on paper, leaving DHP in the comfort mode does not merely give you the standard non-sport suspension. You still get the benefits of its adaptive nature, which means both a more compliant ride and better handling in the twisties. It does not merely offer the ability to switch between a regular sport and a regular non-sport suspension. it is a lot more than that (again, at least on paper).
On paper, you are 100% correct and thanks for adding that.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Guys, thanks for all the advice. I test drove the DHP and absolutely loved it, you can definitely tell the difference, even in the same car as you flick the switch from comfort to sport. I have decided to go ahead and add that to my options. One quick question. I m doing an ED (May 18th pick up) and signed my EDPO (that 5 page doc you have sign and notarize) 2 weeks back. Do I have to resign the EDPO now that I am changing the order?

Thanks,
D
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Guys, thanks for all the advice. I test drove the DHP and absolutely loved it, you can definitely tell the difference, even in the same car as you flick the switch from comfort to sport. I have decided to go ahead and add that to my options. One quick question. I m doing an ED (May 18th pick up) and signed my EDPO (that 5 page doc you have sign and notarize) 2 weeks back. Do I have to resign the EDPO now that I am changing the order?

Thanks,
D
You probably should not have a problem. I have a April 2 delivery. Signed the PO last week (got it in just in time). Called my dealer (with my fingers crossed) the other day hoping that I could add DHP. Car is supposed to enter into "scheduled for production" status next week or the week following. Dearler called BMW and they were able to add it. I really struggled with the DHP issue, but I am so glad that I added it. It is only $910 (invoice) and the way people talk about it being so important I am pretty sure it was the right choice.

2006 330i - ED
Ordered - April 8, 2006 (1st BMW )
Scheduled for Production - May 1, 2006
ED pick up date - June 9, 2006
ED drop off (Munich) - June 18, 2006
ReDelivery - July 27, 2006
Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
smooth like butter

In terms of steering wheel firmness, how does the DHP sport+ setting compare to E90 steering effort?

That steering effort is one of my favorite things in my E93.