Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Diesel performance

Is there any performance data available on the diesel that will be offered in the US F3x? I was hoping to be able to test drive an F30 with diesel this spring and then, if I liked it, do an ED for the F31 in the fall, but now it appears there won't be any diesels in the US until August. I really have no idea what to expect from this engine in terms of highway acceleration, noise level, etc. Is it even known precisely which engine we'll be getting?
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
There are a lot of review of the European version around the Internet. You could look for reviews of those models.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
Is there any performance data available on the diesel that will be offered in the US F3x? I was hoping to be able to test drive an F30 with diesel this spring and then, if I liked it, do an ED for the F31 in the fall, but now it appears there won't be any diesels in the US until August. I really have no idea what to expect from this engine in terms of highway acceleration, noise level, etc. Is it even known precisely which engine we'll be getting?
Same engine as Euro 320d
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
So we think, but there is no official confirmation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Same engine as Euro 320d

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Same engine as Euro 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
True- I'm only basing that on the information that BMW insiders leaked last summer that had the 4 cyl engine slated for US delivery as being the exact same HP and torque as the 320d. For some reason they are labeling the same engine as a "328d" for N America.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
The chance of it ending up different is about 1%.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM

So far, I've only found descriptive road tests for the 320d, but they suggest it actually outperforms the N20 gas engine for real world driving, meaning, I suppose, that the increase in low rev torque is a favorable trade off for the decrease in high rev horsepower. It's certainly a win in terms of economy, even with diesel costing more than premium. The engine sound apparently is fine. It's reliable. Pricing is unknown at the moment. Is there a downside?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
So far, I've only found descriptive road tests for the 320d, but they suggest it actually outperforms the N20 gas engine for real world driving, meaning, I suppose, that the increase in low rev torque is a favorable trade off for the decrease in high rev horsepower. It's certainly a win in terms of economy, even with diesel costing more than premium. The engine sound apparently is fine. It's reliable. Pricing is unknown at the moment. Is there a downside?
Welcome to the dark side, Eric
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
True- I'm only basing that on the information that BMW insiders leaked last summer that had the 4 cyl engine slated for US delivery as being the exact same HP and torque as the 320d. For some reason they are labeling the same engine as a "328d" for N America.
Yep what a ripoff too. Just so they can price it north of the 328i and not close to the 320i where it should be.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Whatever you do..don't drive a 335d.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwturbodzl View Post
whatever you do..don't drive a 335d. :d

sent from my mb525 using bimmer app
+1

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Yep what a ripoff too. Just so they can price it north of the 328i and not close to the 320i where it should be.
I fear this too. Here's to hoping they don't do that.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Quote:
The downside will be the $4K premium BMW will charge for it over the 328i. Which will basically wash away any fuel savings you'd enjoy over the 328i.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The downside will be the $4K premium BMW will charge for it over the 328i. Which will basically wash away any fuel savings you'd enjoy over the 328i.
Where did you get the $4k figure from?

One thing that has a good possibility is the Ecocredit being available for the diesels. That used to be around $3500. Would suck if they put a $4k markup on it and then offerred the ecocredit to make you feel like you're getting a deal...
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Is there a downside?
Yes, there is. Reports are coming over here that our 328d will be assembled on a different line and first examples all have a big factory defect - they missed to install clutch pedal in all of them. I'd call that a big problem. Especially when you consider that no word is coming over here that they will do anything to fix the issue and decided to just sell them as-is.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Yes, there is. Reports are coming over here that our 328d will be assembled on a different line and first examples all have a big factory defect - they missed to install clutch pedal in all of them. I'd call that a big problem. Especially when you consider that no word is coming over here that they will do anything to fix the issue and decided to just sell them as-is.
Yeah, the e90 335d had the same defect, otherwise I would own one .

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Yeah, the e90 335d had the same defect, otherwise I would own one .
OK, but at least they had the excuse of MT not being available for 335d anywhere on Planet Earth. That is not so with 328d AKA 320d.

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche - Acura
I know this was started to uncover some detail on the new anticipated model but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm looking to buy a 335D and was searching the forum for some performance and reliability data and this thread showed up. See some 335D owners posting here and wanted to know what kind of MPG are you seeing over long samples? How reliable has the model been so far? Given the simple difference in displacement I would expect the driving experience to be different but how about comparable data on efficiency between them ?

I'm new to the thread and although I've owned every other popluar German make it would be my first BMW. Appreciate any and all comments on the model.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
That was for the E90 - the engine was $1750 or so, but you also had to "opt" for the auto transmission, which is now standard.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYBrian View Post
I know this was started to uncover some detail on the new anticipated model but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm looking to buy a 335D and was searching the forum for some performance and reliability data and this thread showed up. See some 335D owners posting here and wanted to know what kind of MPG are you seeing over long samples? How reliable has the model been so far? Given the simple difference in displacement I would expect the driving experience to be different but how about comparable data on efficiency between them ?

I'm new to the thread and although I've owned every other popluar German make it would be my first BMW. Appreciate any and all comments on the model.
The diesel forum has had discussions of mileage. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=154

In general, I get around 5 mpg better than my son's 335i coupe if run under similar regimes. Most of us are probably getting in the 30-32 mpg range in mixed driving. Note that the smaller 4-pot coming will get substantially better mileage (it's 2/3 the size!) Lots of info over there on reliability. Search for EGR, SCR, DPF which have been the most problematical systems. There seems to be some carbon buildup issues for some cars/regimes (EGR - caused, likely).
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche - Acura
Thank you for the link, seems like there is a lot to research and become familiar with.
I'll need to pick up a few Fullers and get into some reading then.

Regards,
Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYBrian View Post
Thank you for the link, seems like there is a lot to research and become familiar with.
I'll need to pick up a few Fullers and get into some reading then.
This is the most recently updated mileage thread - knew it was somewhere, but it's "over there".

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807109
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

There is too much variance in individual mileage to rely on personal reports, but I keep finding European sources that say to expect 30% better mileage from a diesel, so I'm going with that. That could make the payback time on a price surcharge rather long, which in turn would be a strange way to introduce a major push for diesel in the American market for BMW, so I remain moderately optimistic as to pricing.

Since I'm looking at the F31, I'm already locked into AT. In 45 years of car ownership, I've never owned an automatic. While I was once driving a rental my brother had to explain to me that it wasn't necessary to use the emergency brake when stopped and in Park. Losing manual transmission feels like facing amputation surgery. Practicality might finally argue for AT over manual, but then again practicality argues for a Honda Civic over an F3x, so BMW really should give their drivers what pleases them. Or are we manual lovers becoming dinosaurs even amongst BMW owners?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Quote:
Or are we manual lovers becoming dinosaurs even amongst BMW owners?
Yes. I realized it last summer while travelling across Europe, when I kept looking inside the BMWs parked on the streets and kept seeing automatic levers inside. Just ten years ago everyone drove manuals there - not anymore.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Yes. I realized it last summer while travelling across Europe, when I kept looking inside the BMWs parked on the streets and kept seeing automatic levers inside. Just ten years ago everyone drove manuals there - not anymore.
Europeans are hugely susceptible to fads. Or should I say "massively" susceptible?

That was my main complaint about living there for 34 years. No, Germans are definitely not immune to this, nor anybody else on the continent. However, I have seen them sober up quite a few mornings with a look saying "Now that WAS stupid. It sounded like a good idea at the time, though." (whatever the fad was) ... so ... there's a hope there.

I'm having no hope whatsoever for MT in U.S. - for a simple reason that large majority of people here drive the automatic not because of fad, but because of necessity. They don't know how to drive MT, do not care to learn it and will teach the same to their kids.